Ok so a while ago I posted a decent guitar solo to show some people how I sounded. Some people say its pretty good and the know-it-all-guitarists say its extremely bad. Honestly what do you think. Yes in terms of structure its a little wierd and not that great but I did it to show how I sound. I also don't think its that messy either is it just the structure people hate? And remember I was only playing for around a year at the time so is it really that bad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIwsF7bkDew
Here it is.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
it's very random sounding, many bends are out of tune, the rhythm is poor, and the tone is really mushy
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
it sounds kind of jumbled. but its not that bad. the only problem is that it just doesnt...flow...i guess would be the right word. all the parts are pretty good, but they just dont go together well enough. but ive only been playing for a year so what do i know
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
tis okay but you really need to practice with alittle less gain to make sure that all the notes are clean and audible... aslo i think you should focus alot on your bending and making sure they are in tune

Play the target note first then move down and bend the string up to the target pitch... practice this all of the neck and eventually muscle memory will take over
MY GEAR:

Ibanez S470
Vintage: VRS100
Fender FM100R 100WATT
Marshall: MG30DFX 30WATT
Digitech: RP350
Boss: DS-1
Jim Dunlop: Original Crybaby
Crafter: FX-550EQ
Orange: Mini- Krush

Add My Profile
Dude its a decent solo it just sounded a little forced to me if you know what I mean, like it needs a melodic part to ease the tencion, But I did like the harmonic minor parts
Life's A Garden Digg It
-Joe Dirt
Last edited by WyldeMan666 at Jul 6, 2009,
It sounds in key and all but just sounds like you're hitting random notes. It is definitely good for a year of playing I think but you should maybe try some more repetition/resolution?
Quote by guitarsftw
it's very random sounding, many bends are out of tune, the rhythm is poor, and the tone is really mushy

ha yea the rythm some people said was wierd, yes i know the bends are terrible i was nervous playing cuz everytime i play while recording i get all shakey for some reason hahaha. And yea the tone is from usb so its gonna sound wierd.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
ok, here's a list of things that will help you make the solo better
1. really get into the rhythm, tap your foot or something to keep you locked into the tempo
2. get really confident and play with conviction. nobody wants to hear a nervous guy play.
3. develop a melodic theme, and use it as a basis for constructing the solo
4. boost the mids and roll back on the bass, it might help the tone. also, turn down the gain a touch
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I thought that was awesome, a few bends sounded bad and the quality was pretty bad too but it was a nice solo.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
The rhythm is sorta weird, and the bends are very out of tune at times but I liked the style. You have some talent

Clean it up a bit and it will be MUCH better.
You play well but your tone is atrocious.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by bfredder92
Ok so a while ago I posted a decent guitar solo to show some people how I sounded. Some people say its pretty good and the know-it-all-guitarists say its extremely bad. Honestly what do you think. Yes in terms of structure its a little wierd and not that great but I did it to show how I sound. I also don't think its that messy either is it just the structure people hate? And remember I was only playing for around a year at the time so is it really that bad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIwsF7bkDew
Here it is.

How many guitarist does it take to screw in a light bulb?

3...one to do it and two others to say they can do it better.

There's always gonna be someone who says it sucks. Have fun, work hard at it, and you'll get there.
Okay, you have pretty decent tech chops for how long you've been playing but in terms of the notes, half of them were in the wrong key/wrong notes/whatever.

I think it's more important to slow down, start with a slow melodic idea and then build the shredding off of that idea. Because otherwise you're left with this wash of notes that are not memorable in any way. If you start with a melodic base, you know exactly where you're going.

Personally I'd rather listen to three beautifully placed, melodic notes, than 100 notes that don't quite go anywhere.

You clearly are making really good progress but speed doesn't = good solo. Focus on your theory a bit, and breaking down chords etc and I think you'll make a lot of progress. Your shredding chops/bends etc will develop, you don't need to worry about that as long as you're practicing. But the theory stuff/developing your ear is something that a lot of guitarists don't get even after 10+ years of playing, so that's something you should get into in a big way now, instead of later.
Last edited by ChrisBG at Jul 6, 2009,
It's not in time with the music behind it, and the rhythm of the backing music actually clashes with the solo in places; the bends are out of tune and some almost sound accidental (as though you pulled the string a little when fretting); it doesn't really have any 'hooks' or memorable parts... just a load of disjointed phrases you seem to have thrown together off the top of your head.

From a technical point of view, it's good for someone who has only been playing a year, but from a musical and theoretical point of view it is pretty poor I'm afraid.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
"626SMAK (1 month ago) Show Hide Marked as spam take some music theory you **** eating wanna be shredder. "
lmao...
but really it was cool, not awesome, but cool
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
"Trans Princess". You're bitching over nothing, and you know it.
It was pretty good, especially for a year's playing. Once you get better, you will be able to phrase some parts better, so it doesn't seem like just random finger movements. Although when you said...
Quote by BManNOTGman77
And how the **** can you be a wannabe shredder.

Since you so overtly want to know...I would consider that recording as "wannabe shredding". Not saying it's bad though, so don't sh!t a brick on me...
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by guitarsftw

i totally agree.....
I think its got very high potential. Did you use the Harmonic Minor scale? All you can do is go over it and fix what blatantly doesn't work, and insert something that does. Just keep working!
My Gear
Jackson Pro Series DK2M
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX AD50VTXL Valvetronix Amp
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell

Originally Posted By iron_maiden93

He wants to rape us....He raped me

dude it wasnt bad at all it was pretty good just like everyone else said keep practicing and eventually it will sound amazing
Quote by Avengethedeath
I think its got very high potential. Did you use the Harmonic Minor scale? All you can do is go over it and fix what blatantly doesn't work, and insert something that does. Just keep working!

no, i remember using the phrygian mode around that part and just doing wierd things with it hahaha that must be why it sounds in that area of the harmonic minor scale.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
Quote by stinger12345
It was pretty good, especially for a year's playing. Once you get better, you will be able to phrase some parts better, so it doesn't seem like just random finger movements. Although when you said...

Since you so overtly want to know...I would consider that recording as "wannabe shredding". Not saying it's bad though, so don't sh!t a brick on me...

o ok i know what you mean now. Its just really a bunch of notes as fast as possible lol and not really like a real shred solo. But yea thanks for the positive comment hahaha. Im workin more on being better than just a lot of fast notes. Thats when i loved legatto a lot and thought it would be best to shred fast on the whole thing.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
try jamming over some backing tracks to get a feel for playing over a set rhythm rather than just sorta playing.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
try jamming over some backing tracks to get a feel for playing over a set rhythm rather than just sorta playing.
yea i've mixed up solos to songs with the backing tracks i have its really fun. I just find out the key and and can change it up a whole lot and just jam on it all day hahaha. but thx 4 the advice
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
It's really not all that terrible. You just need to keep practicing, and clean up that tone. Also, maybe revise it, and add some extra/ take out some stuff to give it a more flowing sound.