Hey,

I have an Audition for a Talent Show with my band tomorrow afternoon. I know we've practiced it enough, but I'm REALLY nervous, Cos I'm still pretty scared we're gonna mess up.
Its not a particularly difficult song, but I feel as though I'm under more pressure in an audition than I am on stage. Its weird, but I just do.

How can I stay focused and calm, and beat the nerves?
'The Blues is Easy to Play, but Hard to Feel'
Jimi Hendrix
Focus on the beat. When I went on stage for the first time, I was nervous, but I focused on the timing of the drums. A little adrenaline is good for you. You did say it was different then on stage so you're probably not going to need this info.
If you've practiced it lots and you feel absolutely comfortable with your parts you have nothing to worried about. A little bit of nerves isn't unusual, I always get nerves before any sort of performance but in the end what I've practiced comes out. Just relax into it!

Couple of tips with checking you have practiced it well enough, try playing your parts faster (using a metronome), play them all the way through without any backing, play just a section etc. The more you play with it the better you will know it! Good luck, hope it goes well!

ps. smiling never hurts.
Instead of thinking about all the ways you could mess up, think about all the work that you put into the song, and then think about making sure that the panel knows how much work you put into it, and that you're going to show them how hard you've worked with your playing.
"I love music, it's not like math. In music, 2+2 can equal 5, if it's a pretty enough 5." -Samuel R. Hazo

"Alle menschen werden bruder- all men become brothers"
-Ludwig Van Beethoven, from his 9th Symphony.

-John
Quote by Rock&RollStar
I'm still pretty scared we're gonna mess up.

There's your problem, you lack confidence. You need to go up there and OWN the stage, don't be scared ... think of yourself as the best musician to set foot on that stage!
Quote by jslick07
Instead of thinking about all the ways you could mess up, think about all the work that you put into the song, and then think about making sure that the panel knows how much work you put into it, and that you're going to show them how hard you've worked with your playing.

This is excellent advice
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
Record him while he's playing secretly and then tell him that some other guy wants to join and he sent a recording.

When your friend says, "Man, this guys sucks", tell him, "It's you, dumbass"
Prep before hand:
no caffeine / high energy output / sugary foods
lots light food, don't go eat a raost.
bring a bottle of water

For me this is really great, just without picking up my guitar. If I feel nice and healthy I tend ot play 'healthy'. If I feel like ****, I tend to shake more too.
Speaking of ****: MAKE SURE YOU EMPTY YOUR BOWELS. Needing to do a poo will seriously be BAD for you :P

there are a lot fo breathing exersises and stuff online. Personally they just stress me more. I don't want to have to concentrate on breathing, my body should be able to do that subconsciously.
If you're really into that whole breathing thing/conscious relaxation thing, an exercise I do with my marching band kids is something called a "Hindu Rolldown." We do it every day at the start of rehearsal, because its great for posture and also great to shake everything out and relax you. Its up to you if you try it or not, but you'd probably wanna do it at home or somewhere relatively private before your audition. I'd strongly recommend using a metronome for this one, but if you wanna do it with your own pulse, it still works.

Goes like this:

Breathe in for 4 counts, and out for 4 counts
In 4 counts, lower your chin to your chest, isolating and relaxing the muscles in your neck
In 4 counts, drop and roll your shoulders forward, so that those muscles are completely slack and relaxed.
In 4 counts, isolate the muscles in your upper back and relax them so that you sag slightly forward
In 4 counts, isolate the muscles in your lower back so that you bend just above your waist. You should be just shy of a 90 degree angle between your torso and legs
In 4 counts, relax the muscles in your hips to complete the 90 degree angle.
In 4 counts, disengage your knee muscles so that they bend and you coil yourself completely into a ball.

At this point, you are the epitome of terrible posture. Remember to completely relax all the muscles in your body, and let everything hang.

Breathe in for 4 counts and out for 4 counts in this ball.
In 4 counts, Straighten your knees back to a normal position.
Pull yourself up further with your hips in 4 counts
Straighten your lower back in 4 counts.
Straighten your upper back in 4 counts.
Roll your shoulders back completely in 4 counts. Your arms should have a very slight bend in them, your hands should be in a loose fist, and your middle finger should trail against the side-seam of your pants. This should look somewhat military in nature.
Raise your head just past the horizon so that you are looking slightly up, about 10 degrees above the horizon.

At this point, you should be standing completely up. On your way up, remember not to tense your muscles. Simply engage them so that you pull yourself up to an erect position. Do not stand stiffly, keep everything relaxed, but in a position of good posture.

At this point, we're going to do a relavee (I have no idea if that spelling is correct, I've only ever said it.) The way this works is that we're going to raise our heels off the ground, putting our wait in the platform of our feet, for four counts. And then we will hold in this raised position for four counts. And then we'll bring it back down for four counts. Make sure that you don't collapse back on your heels on the way down. The weight should feel centered on the platforms of your feet. If you do it correctly, you'll feel as though you are leaning ever-so-slightly forward.

To close out the exercise, breath in for four counts and out for four counts.

The purpose of this exercise is to create ideal posture, but also to isolate, and then relax, all of the major muscle groups in your body. It should loosen you up and get you thinking about your breathing, while giving you a chance to clear your mind and all that jazz. When you're doing this exercise, it is most important that you take all 4 counts to make the specified move. So, if I'm relaxing my head, my chin won't touch my chest until count 1 of the next move, which means I've taken all 4 counts to do it. If you do it right, there won't be a pause in the motion, it'll just be one fluid thing.

Hope it helps, I love my Hindu Rolldowns, they loosen me up but good.
"I love music, it's not like math. In music, 2+2 can equal 5, if it's a pretty enough 5." -Samuel R. Hazo

"Alle menschen werden bruder- all men become brothers"
-Ludwig Van Beethoven, from his 9th Symphony.

-John
I always see talent shows as such.

You can play music....prob 80% of your audience doesn't. So they prob wouldn't even know if you messed a little part up or something, unless you really screw up some part.

It is hard to stay calm..I was nervous as **** at my first guitar competition....but once you get up there you know what you need to do and you just do it. Even as scared and nervous as I was I still nailed what I was playing. That what practice is all about. When it comes time to really play it is just second nature and your fingers take over.
Thanks for all the advice,

I read some of it, but havent come back to this thread for some reasons I dont quite remember....

Anyway, we passed the audition and it went great, except the drummer forgot what he was doing, and made it up as he went along. It still sounded awesome!

We played the show, and got just about everyone's stamp of approval
'The Blues is Easy to Play, but Hard to Feel'
Jimi Hendrix
haha dude, i've been there- and trust me- it's not that bad

you just gotta not give a ****.
go in, like it doesn't matter- like you've already lost.

then you won't give a ****

just get into your music and blank the rest out.

if you're on stage- then you may have nothing to worry about- at least when i was on stage, i would look to the crowd, and you have lights shining on you from above, so everything in the crowd is black. you can't see anyone

best of luck