Any idea why this is? It's a Behringer starter pack strat style guitar with a whammy. I've recently changed the strings on it, i mean recently as in probably 1month ago now (its not my main guitar). Anyways the strings were getting dirty and so was the fretboard, so i checked it out and the strings were also rusting....

I rubbed them down with a cloth and some cleaner and the cloth had orange/brown lines down it where the rust came off.

I keep this guitar where i do my other main electric. Epiphone standard. Those strings get dirty but they dont rust.

Any ideas what this could be?

Please note, i keep them in a garage type converted room with 2 windows that can open. Humidity maybe? Its been hot recently.
Crappy brand of strings?
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
Mine rust like crazy. I figure it was just because I live in Florida and its always extremely humid around here. Its probably the humidity.

WHERE IS MY PICK?
Quote by camhussynec
Crappy brand of strings?

this and the fact that the strings are steel based so they're going to rust and also there's the fact that you do not play it as much
They're rusting because they're a month old. Also, playing the other one more regularly should keep a light layer of skin oil on the strings, which prevents rust the same way WD-40 on your tools does.
I've never seen any of my strings rust, and i use to keep the same set of strings on for a lot longer than 1 month. I guess it must of been a combination of humidity and me not playing it. Any1 selling a good strat? lol
Quote by Blaster Bob
They're rusting because they're a month old. Also, playing the other one more regularly should keep a light layer of skin oil on the strings, which prevents rust the same way WD-40 on your tools does.

My strings are normally on for around 3 months before changing and the only thing that ends up wrong wrong with them is tons of dirt.
Never rust.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
My strings are normally on for around 3 months before changing and the only thing that ends up wrong wrong with them is tons of dirt.
Never rust.

It's his secondary axe. If it's not played regularly it does not take much to rust the strings.
Quote by Blaster Bob

So that's a proven fact? I've never heard that before...not that I'm questioning it, I just find it interesting.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Well, I haven't tested it, so I suppose it's conjecture. The only time I've ever rusted strings is when I didn't play them, and I live in Miami- it doesn't get any more humid than that.

Or maybe it is a proven fact... after all, we know steel + oil != rust. I'm sticking to it anyway.
just rub your strings off with a polishing cloth after each play. on top of your strings, and between the fretboard and strings. it'll help a little. wash your hands before you play too
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
just rub your strings off with a polishing cloth after each play. on top of your strings, and between the fretboard and strings. it'll help a little. wash your hands before you play too

+1
Quote by Blaster Bob
It's his secondary axe. If it's not played regularly it does not take much to rust the strings.

Interesting.

Sorry, I just read the first line about being a month old and replied.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I change my strings every 2 months. No rust. Strings don't rust around here until about 6 months of use. The humidity level here is quite excellent for guitars.
Quote by LifeIsABullet16

This is what id like to do. I do get a bit anal about dirty hands and playing the guitar. I hate the dirt that builds up on the bottom of the strings. on acoustics its hard to get off

Thanks for replies anyway.
Quote by LifeIsABullet16

+2. And as for cleaning cloths, Use a Blitz cloth. Here's a link:

http://www.blitzinc.net/product/301/Blitz_String_Care_Cloth.html
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.