Hello, I'm a beginner and I've been messing around with chords in one strumming pattern. Anyway i found two chord patterns that sound really nice to my ear, if that's what they're called ( patterns ). The first one being Em C G Unknown chord. Ok about this chord. I seriously have no idea what chord this is, but it sounds nice

-0-
-0-
-2-
-0-
-0-
-2- I tried determening what chord it is by its notes, but that didn't go too well. I by my own knowledge determined that its probably a B minor 7th chord, but when i googled and looked the chord charts. Well i couldn't find this shape.

And the second "pattern" being Dm Am C G . Now what i wanna do is transition smoothly from the first chord pattern to the second but the unknown chord just doesn't sound really well to my ears with Dm. So my question is, how can i make it sound smooth? Should i add in an extra chord in between those patterns? Well i tried doing that but i still can't find a chord that sound good with Dm.

What i mean by smooth is that it would sound as if the "pattern" hasn't changed. To explain it in a weird but maybe more sense making way imagine two lines. One is white and the other one is black. Now if i put those two lines together, that is connect them, i would want it so that where the white line ends it would start fading into the black line. Hope that made more sense. Also, dunno if it matters, but i play an acoustic guitar.

Thank you for your time.

P.S If my English is a bit sloppy, so sorry if there are confusing parts.

Edit : And now i see why i thought this was a B Minor 7th.. I mistook the 5th note of the B major scale for the 4th note. Clumsy me.
Last edited by Shinami at Jul 6, 2009,
Bm7 is close. It's actually Bm11, because of the E note.

You could go to the Dm from G or C.

or use a less obvious Dm voicing like:

-x-
-3-
-2-
-3-
-0-
-x-

Depends on what you want to hear.