Hi UG,

So I decided to go the budget route on an OD pedal to push my recently acquired Crate Palomino V16 into metal territory, so I gots me this:

If you are inclined to laugh, keep in mind that I do plan on modding this pedal in the very near future. It sounds pretty good stock as both a clean boost and in front of the amp's distortion for teh br00t4lz, but it does get quite noisy when the gain is past 12 o'clock and the level is dimed.

I found some mods here:
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Dec/MXR_Distortion_Plus_Mods.aspx

Anyone out there know any other mods for these? I read something somewhere about a "gray pedal" mod to make it like the older version, but I couldn't find a schematic anywhere.

Also, thanks to the user Unskathed who sold me this pedal and shipped it to me lightning fast
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by edbert
Hi UG,

So I decided to go the budget route on an OD pedal to push my recently acquired Crate Palomino V16 into metal territory, so I gots me this:

If you are inclined to laugh, keep in mind that I do plan on modding this pedal in the very near future. It sounds pretty good stock as both a clean boost and in front of the amp's distortion for teh br00t4lz, but it does get quite noisy when the gain is past 12 o'clock and the level is dimed.

I found some mods here:
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Dec/MXR_Distortion_Plus_Mods.aspx

Anyone out there know any other mods for these? I read something somewhere about a "gray pedal" mod to make it like the older version, but I couldn't find a schematic anywhere.

Also, thanks to the user Unskathed who sold me this pedal and shipped it to me lightning fast

I actually haven't seen any mods of those, sorry.
I'm sure you could mod it into a pretty nice pedal though.

HNPD

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349

I actually haven't seen any mods of those, sorry.
I'm sure you could mod it into a pretty nice pedal though.

HNPD

Well I figured it's not a great NPD since it's a cheap pedal (I got it for $20 shipped) that not many like I feel. Kind of like if I got an MG and made a NAD thread...just not as bad
Just laughing at it because it's Yngwie's pedal really isn't that funny. If it was in the shape of a donut, or had a picture of him raging out on an airplane, that'd be a different story.
I hear those are great boost pedals, should be cool after you mod it. Make clips of before and after the mod for everybody to know, as you have me intrigued
Quote by edbert
Well I figured it's not a great NPD since it's a cheap pedal (I got it for $20 shipped) that not many like I feel. Kind of like if I got an MG and made a NAD thread...just not as bad

LOL
yah
thats probably why I'm the only one who has responded. And $20 shipped! Thats a good deal no matter what as long as it works

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
can you show me how to mod it??
i have one and i use it to boost my blackheart
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by bowen
Just laughing at it because it's Yngwie's pedal really isn't that funny. If it was in the shape of a donut, or had a picture of him raging out on an airplane, that'd be a different story.
I hear those are great boost pedals, should be cool after you mod it. Make clips of before and after the mod for everybody to know, as you have me intrigued

Yngwie jokes never get old for some reason

I'll try to get some cl1pz0rz up later today.

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
can you show me how to mod it??
i have one and i use it to boost my blackheart

Unless I can find the mods to put it to the older "gray pedal" specs, I'll probably try the ones in the link in my first post, it's from an article by Brian Wampler.

Do you know how to solder and have access to a soldering iron?
Quote by edbert
Unless I can find the mods to put it to the older "gray pedal" specs, I'll probably try the ones in the link in my first post, it's from an article by Brian Wampler.

Do you know how to solder and have access to a soldering iron?

i dont have a soldering iron
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
i dont have a soldering iron

You should go out and get one then if you want to start doing some modding, $20 at any hardware store for a cheapie. I got a nice variable temp one at Sears for $50. Make sure you get the rosin core solder too (63/37 I believe). Also go on google and youtube and search for some tutorials on how to solder, it's easy once you get the hang of it.

UPDATE: I put up a few clips of the YJM straight into my V16, the first tests the pedal on a clean setting and the second is over a distortion setting.

Cl1pz0rz are in my profile.

Quote by bowen

i have one of these. It was my first od pedal 3 years ago. It makes single coils shine. A bit noisy and bussy tho. Its a great pedal for the cheap price. cant wait to hear it modded
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by CaptDin

I had to sig that
Someone on my CL was selling one that was modded to have Germanium diodes I believe... maybe it was germanium trannies? germanium somethin. HNPD!
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by BD 425
Someone on my CL was selling one that was modded to have Germanium diodes I believe... maybe it was germanium trannies? germanium somethin. HNPD!

I think you were right with diodes, diodes affect the clipping that causes distortion, that would probably be an easy mod if I can find a place that has some
Just had to state the truth on that one
Once you get some clips up, make a new thread for everybody to check out if you get some great success with modding it . If you don't, oh well, you still got a good deal on a nice boost.
Quote by bowen
Just had to state the truth on that one
Once you get some clips up, make a new thread for everybody to check out if you get some great success with modding it . If you don't, oh well, you still got a good deal on a nice boost.

After searching like mad I got some good ideas for modding it, I'm going to start collecting the components this week and yeah I got a mic so I'll definitely make a thread when I get some clips of the modded pedal up. The clips of the stock pedal are already in my profile.

Maybe I'll mod the appearance too so it shows Yngwie UNLEASHING THE FOCKING FURY on a plane
That pedal served me well man. Hopefully you can mod it to be a beast.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs