Hi all,

I was curious since I've never gotten the chance to play a "real" high-end guitar, although I've been playing for about a year and a half. I DID get to play my uncle's 2000 USA Strat with a Rosewood fretboard and it felt fantastic. There was some kind of finish on it that made it feel much smoother than all the other cheap strat knockoffs I've played. So my questions are:

-Do all maple necks have this finish on them?

-Would I have a good shot of getting a smooth "finish" on a cheap ($250 USD) copy w/ a maple fretboard?

-How much would the ballpark be to get a "cheap" copy finished with that lacquer?
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
why not use a guitar fretboard conditioner? I have a set bought by dunlop and I've used it on my guitar before restringing and it feels godlike after that. And I use a Washburn X-10 ;O Imagine it's godlyness
Normally there is no finish applied on a rosewood fingerboard. The rosewood fretboard on your uncle's guitar was probably of higher grade. Or he just simply conditioned it well.

Maple neck can be raw, satin or glossy finished. It's all up to one's personal opinions to decide which one is best so there's no really comparisons between them.

Unless you're really lucky there can be very nice fretboards to be found on cheapo guitars. But in normal cases the lower grade wood used on those aren't that great.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Jul 6, 2009,
if your guitar has a rosewood fretboard, im not sure from your post if it does or not, next time you change the strings, try rubbing lemon oil on the frets with a cotton ball and let it air dry. This will keep the fretboard hydrated and makes it feel much smoother
Quote by Dopemgs
why not use a guitar fretboard conditioner? I have a set bought by dunlop and I've used it on my guitar before restringing and it feels godlike after that. And I use a Washburn X-10 ;O Imagine it's godlyness

That conditioner, does it make the fretboard feel less grainy? My copy always feels like a cheapo guitar, and it's starting to get annoying. It seemed like every maple fingerboard I played on had that sort of finish. So do you think maple plays any smoother than rosewood?
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
well yeah I've got that set with the Cleaner and Prep + conditioner and it makes the fretboard awesome. Try it mate it's not expensive or anything
Ok, I'm actually headed out to get some new strings now, so thanks guys!

-Ginger Baker
buy Dunlop's fingerboard cleaner and prep + the conditioner. It has instructions on it good luck and hope your fingerboard becomes as good as mine