i just got given a box of cables, i know some are speaker cables and some are standard instrument leads also some don't work and i plan on repairing them, is there an easy way to sort them out? (bear in mind i don't want to damage my amp etc. by running instrument cable to a speaker)
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
that's easy just throw them into a pool of water. the speaker cables will float, the intrument cables will sink.
^
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Unscrew the plugs. Speaker cables have two (thick) cables in them, instrument cables have one thin, with shielding around it.
Uhm, you could probably safely assume that any cable longer than 3 feet is PROBABLY an instrument cable.
Aside from that, I'm not too sure (other than looking for print on the cable, and looking for characteristics of speaker cables like thicker wire and things like that)
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Aside from that, I'm not too sure (other than looking for print on the cable

Good one. Look for voltage ratings.
Quote by mr_hankey
Unscrew the plugs. Speaker cables have two (thick) cables in them, instrument cables have one thin, with shielding around it.
This... and if there's any writing on the cable that says... microphone, instrument, noiseless, or shielded then it's not a speaker cable.

Speaker cable^

Instrunment cable ^
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Instrument cable = coaxial shielded (1 wire)

Speaker cable = 16 AWG (2 wires)
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
try it with guitar and if it makes tons of noise, then it sucks too much for use and/or it's a speaker cable. do same with speakers/head.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by travs2448

Speaker cable^

Instrunment cable ^

Swing n' miss.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
It should say right on the jacket if its instrument or speaker. I know the speaker cable I have is much thicker than my instrument cables and has the really fat 1/4 jacks on the ends. Doesnt apply to all of them if you buy a thinner cheaper speaker cable tho.
thanks guys, i was able to get into most of the cables and check for the thicker wires around the jack plug so i could sort them pretty fast, i've only got on or 2 little patch lenth ones left but they don't seem to be working anyway

so yer thanks
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more