(I desperately tried the searchbar for this one but to no avail)

I recently made a thread on buying some flatwounds for my fretless bass (I decided on some Rotosounds). However, my fear is that the bridge on my bass is so bad that the strings are barely going to be audible.

I've been aware for some time that the bridge on this bass sucks; it's a Starfire bass that I got off eBay. I swapped out the pickups for some EMG's but it still sounds somewhat dead. So, I pose these two questions:

1. What's a good bridge for a 6-string?
2. When looking for a bridge, how do you determine the distance between the strings? Is it the spacing at the nut or the bridge or what?

Thanks dudes.

EDIT: I tried Google as far as the string spacing goes, and my measurements came out to 3-3/16". Does this sound right for a 6-string?
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Last edited by Hergiswi at Jul 6, 2009,
Sorry to bump my own thread, but is anyone else more knowledgeable about this stuff than me?
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Yeah, Music Man Bongo 6s are approximately 3 inches across, which counts out to 17.5mm IIRC. The nut spacing generally determines the distance between strings too.

I'm not too knowledgable about bridges, but Leo Quan (Badass II/IIIs, etc), Gotoh, Wilkinson and Hipshot are all trusted names as far as I know.

Edit: The Bongo 6 is 3 and 1/2 across, not 3, sorry.
Last edited by Steve08 at Jul 9, 2009,
Hipshot is decent, I bought a tuner from their website after one of mine snapped off whilst runnin. It's decent quality (not as nice as the rest of my Musicman tuners though). However it took almost 3 months for shipping.
Hipshot seems to be the general consensus here. I was going to buy a BadAss bridge, but as far as I know, they don't make a 6-string model. Would I be better off getting an adjustable bridge since I'm not 100% on the string spacing?
Quote by Yerjam