I am getting a new guitar & amp in September / October so i could do with some imput.

In terms of budget i have around £1000 to play with if i can come up with the funds, i don't want to go over because i have collage coming up and i would like to spend money on things other than my guitar. Which way should i bias my money? e.g £400 guitar £600 amp type idea

I was going to get the Jim Root Telecaster as for what you get, it's well priced and from what i have heard is a very solid guitar. I'm too sure if i want it anymore as i would like to get a good versatile pickup and as a lot of people on hear say the cleans are not always the best. Would passives be the way to go if i wanted a more versatile gain / tone? I want to get a heavy gain that you would hear on say a Slipknot record (hence the Jim Root Tele) but i want good cleans and ability to play some less high gain stuff. No Floating Trems, fixed is an absolute must.

In terms of amp i want a tube / valve, wattage doesn't need to be massive as it will only be used at home / with mates, possibly gigging. Similar tone idea as what i stated with my guitar, as the majority of your tone comes from your amp i am guessing it's more relevant to here.

Some imput would be nice
Manchester United
Last edited by Shabalaba at Jul 6, 2009,
You mentioned vaguely what you'd be playing, but if you could elaborate more into what kind of sound you're going for that would help suggestions, especially guitar wise.

When you say versatile but able to handle high gain I think Ibanez, but I also know very little. Amp wise, maybe an Orange Tiny Terror? Vox Night Train? Both are 15 watts and all tube with good overdriven sounds from everything I've heard from them, though the Vox might not be heavy enough. But don't listen to me as much as most other guys on here, I have very little experience, just thought I'd chip in what I know
Quote by laxduck
You mentioned vaguely what you'd be playing, but if you could elaborate more into what kind of sound you're going for that would help suggestions, especially guitar wise.

When you say versatile but able to handle high gain I think Ibanez, but I also know very little. Amp wise, maybe an Orange Tiny Terror? Vox Night Train? Both are 15 watts and all tube with good overdriven sounds from everything I've heard from them, though the Vox might not be heavy enough. But don't listen to me as much as most other guys on here, I have very little experience, just thought I'd chip in what I know

I don't really want a modelling amp also, whether those are modelling i am not sure but i will check them out.

I just don't want some heavy metal guitar that can only play heavy metal if you understand, i want to be able to pick a wide range of songs & genres that it can be suited to but i am not sure whether that is more to do with the amp rather than the pickup or vice versa.
Manchester United
Well, you don't want EMG's if you want cleans.

The D-Activator's in my Xiphos handles cleans pretty awesomely, but my ear for tone is shít.

I could go on, but all I'd be able to talk about is what I have already.

(Blackstar Ht-5 is awesome).
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
£400 guitar and £600 amp sounds reasonable, but you here have the freedom to spend less on your guitar as you're free of the biggest problem with low end guitars; bad trems. Guitar wise then I'd suggest a hardtail Ibanez RG. The RG321 is the bread/butter hardtail RG.
As for an amp, I can see the Laney GH100L being a good choice. What I suggest you do is try as many amps as you can sub £700 and buy a hardtail passive RG with whatever's left ovver.
It's just occured to me that a Line 6 Flextone would be a great choice and that an alternative to the RG could be an Epiphone G400 if you tend towards more classic, Gibbo tones as opposed to the more modern sounding Ibanez.
Quote by Rock Pig
£400 guitar and £600 amp sounds reasonable, but you here have the freedom to spend less on your guitar as you're free of the biggest problem with low end guitars; bad trems. Guitar wise then I'd suggest a hardtail Ibanez RG. The RG321 is the bread/butter hardtail RG.
As for an amp, I can see the Laney GH100L being a good choice. What I suggest you do is try as many amps as you can sub £700 and buy a hardtail passive RG with whatever's left ovver.
It's just occured to me that a Line 6 Flextone would be a great choice and that an alternative to the RG could be an Epiphone G400 if you tend towards more classic, Gibbo tones as opposed to the more modern sounding Ibanez.

Thanks for the imput
RG321 stock pups aren't that amazing and could probably do with being switched out i think so i would have to factor in that cost, but it is a good possibility i would do that. I will have a look at my local music shop see what they have, excluding the GH100L what type of make/ series should i be looking at?

I don't like the Epi's and i didn't want a modelling amp
Manchester United
Quote by Shabalaba
Thanks for the imput
RG321 stock pups aren't that amazing and could probably do with being switched out i think so i would have to factor in that cost, but it is a good possibility i would do that. I will have a look at my local music shop see what they have, excluding the GH100L what type of make/ series should i be looking at?

I don't like the Epi's and i didn't want a modelling amp

Peavey Classic 30s and Vox Night Trains both have a surprising amount of gain on tap, so while it's not their most obvious application they still might be worth an audition. The Randall RG50TC is a good amp but not incredily easy to find, and the same goes for Bugeras. I know that you don't want a modelling amp but I'd advise you to try the Flextone regardless of your preconceptions as it's actually quite a competent amp. Another possibility is factoring in the cost of a reasonable OD (the Digitech Bad Monkey is damn good for £50) which you can use to tighten up and overdrive a mid-gain amp like, say, a Classic 30. If you're doing that your options broaden considerably, including Traynors, the Blackstar HT-5, the Peavey Mini Collosal, etc.
I have a Peavey JSX 212 (Joe Satriani Series). It's an incredible amp. I usually hate the whole signature model idea, because it's usually a lot more expensive, but it's well worth it. It does not even sound like a peavey. I used to really hate peavey amps too. But the cleans are super crisp and it cranks out some wicked distortion or brit crunch (not what you would expect from a peavey).

I usually use my ESP Ltd, with duncan pickups and it sounds great either clean or metal; however, it sounds a lot brighter than marshalls or randalls. But, when I hook up my ibanez guitar with emgs it's pure crunchy metal. Emgs suck for playing on clean.

For versatility definitely try playing on a the JSX series amp, you won't be disappointed. But If I had to buy a really cheap amp I'd go with Roland Cube. lol
these things we do that others may live
Well, I'd suggest a B-52 AT-112 with an ESP EC-401. The B-52 is a 60w tube amp, plenty loud for your bedroom and gigs. The EC-401 is pretty much the EC-1000 without the extra binding. Also, the EMG's on it will sound great through the B-52. Good luck finding your sound!
Quote by Shabalaba
Which way should i bias my money? e.g £400 guitar £600 amp type idea

yeah, that's probably about right- assuming you don't find an amp at £300 which does everything you want, of course. But as a rough rule of thumb, yeah, that should be about the right amount.

What size of gigs do you think you'll be playing eventually? I know you said the wattage doesn't need to be giant, but most amps (that i've seen anyway) which are extremely versatile tend to be at least 50 watts... if they have a well-designed master volume, they should sound at least decent at home volumes (and even 5 watts of valve power is extremely loud in a home environment). Off the top of my head, something like a laney tt50 combo, engl screamer, or something along those lines might be worth considering, though with the current economic climate and rising prices, they may be over budget now.

EDIT: yeah, if you want a lot of versatility, EMGs probably aren't the way to go. Washburn X50pro, perhaps? Maybe a Godin of some description?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 8, 2009,
I looked at the Washburn but i'm not sure if i could get my hands on one from a local dealer which would be preferable as any problems (if any) would be easy to fix.

I will look into the amps you guys have said see which looks better to myself on paper, the gigs would only be fairly small and like it said in an amp thread i read most places have a PA system you can link to . I don't mind going to a higher wattage, my amp is currently an 80w 1990s Valvestate thats pretty much bust, and i have to carry it in 1 hand and it's a pain in the ass, i don't even use most the wattage on it thats why i said it didn't need to be a 300w Marshal MG

Does anyone here have a Washburn / Has anyone here played a Washburn? I'm particularly interested in the neck as it's not something you can always tell on paper how good it is
Manchester United
For a great versatile Tube Amp in the $600 Range, I would go for either...

Peavey Classic 30 or Fender Blues Jr.

If used is an option, you can get a Fender HotRod Deluxe for around $600, if you look around.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by Shabalaba

Does anyone here have a Washburn / Has anyone here played a Washburn? I'm particularly interested in the neck as it's not something you can always tell on paper how good it is

i've played a couple, but it's been a while, I can't remember what the necks were like.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jonmo1
For a great versatile Tube Amp in the $600 Range, I would go for either...

Peavey Classic 30 or Fender Blues Jr.

If used is an option, you can get a Fender HotRod Deluxe for around $600, if you look around.

Blues Jr. versitale??? Hardly unless you have some good pedals backing it up. I love mine but it's a one trick pony.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Right i checked some prices.

I already knew that the Washburn would be about £400 and it was £399 on GAK, will check some other places for price also, i think i'm going to go with that. I had seen before but i wasn't sure because it isn't like one of the big names such as Ibanez, ESP, Fender, so thanks to Dave

I checked the prices of the Laney TT50 combo was £650, so just over. I would prefer to be spending £600 as my max but we will see what else i can find. The screamer was £950, i am sure that it has always been around that mark but when you mentioned it i thought i would give it a check.

Any other Amp suggestions?
Manchester United
Quote by gstacey1
Blues Jr. versitale??? Hardly unless you have some good pedals backing it up. I love mine but it's a one trick pony.

agreed, and if you ask me, he can do a lot better for the amount of money he has, too.

Quote by Shabalaba
Right i checked some prices.

I already knew that the Washburn would be about £400 and it was £399 on GAK, will check some other places for price also, i think i'm going to go with that. I had seen before but i wasn't sure because it isn't like one of the big names such as Ibanez, ESP, Fender, so thanks to Dave

I checked the prices of the Laney TT50 combo was £650, so just over. I would prefer to be spending £600 as my max but we will see what else i can find. The screamer was £950, i am sure that it has always been around that mark but when you mentioned it i thought i would give it a check.

Any other Amp suggestions?

no problem. it'd be worth looking around for both the washburn and the laney, because occasionally you see them cheaper, for ex-demo/new old stock versions etc. (or sometimes you just get lucky). Lag might be worth a look too, sometimes you can get good deals on them.

the screamer's probably gone up in price, it used to be around £600 or so.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 10, 2009,