Page 1 of 2
ok im looking for a solid state half stack for less than $1000. I think im gonna go with the kh120rhs but I just want to make sure im not missing out on something better so any suggestions?
Quote by ironman44321
ok im looking for a solid state half stack for less than $1000. I think im gonna go with the kh120rhs but I just want to make sure im not missing out on something better so any suggestions?

You're missing out on Tube amps......

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by ironman44321

Its a rebranded cheaper model randall amp designed to get you to drop a grand for no reason. Thats one major thing missing..

If you want a SS amp find you a used Ampeg VH-140C or one of its many clones and or cosins...
Why do you want a solid state specifically?
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
well I play just about everything but mostly metal, and I want a solid state because I dont want to have to deal with a tube amp and I just like the way solid states sound more than I do tubes, nothing against tubes I mean their are some tubes that I really love but I like solid states more
So, you're just lazy? Don't buy new stuff at all then. Way too much of an hassle
Quote by ironman44321
well I play just about everything but mostly metal, and I want a solid state because I dont want to have to deal with a tube amp and I just like the way solid states sound more than I do tubes, nothing against tubes I mean their are some tubes that I really love but I like solid states more

Nothing wrong with that... Just make a wise choice when you go SS.. Check out the Ampegs I mentioned and Hughes and Kettner make some great SS amps as well.
Quote by ironman44321

boo
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
I'll second that VH140C. Very nice amp, sounds good quiet or loud.

You shouldn't have to drop a grand to get one though. Maybe $400 tops for the head.
See
http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=mus&itm=ampeg&loc=&fil=vh140c&ys=&ye=&submit=++++go++++

Here's the whole thing for $300, well it's a VH150 and 4x12 cab.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/1249151714.html
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 6, 2009,
You might try some of the hybrid amps. I'm not too knowledgeable about SS amps.

Just make sure you do your research and are absolutely sure when you make the purchase. I bought a hybrid Marshall head and I grew out of the sound rather quickly. Also, if you play anything clean tubes are always better imo. Just be sure you know what you're getting.

Good luck!
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Go to your nearest orange, Mesa, Peavey, Vox, Deizel, Fender, B-52, Hiwatt, Blackheart, or Randall dealer and play a few tube amps. It will change your opinion, and you will be in shock when many of the amps are in your price range. i mean $1000? Dude, thats a nice tube head and a celestion cab, and maybe a few pedals. Think about it...
Quote by musicfan1234
Go to your nearest orange, Mesa, Peavey, Vox, Deizel, Fender, B-52, Hiwatt, Blackheart, or Randall dealer and play a few tube amps. It will change your opinion, and you will be in shock when many of the amps are in your price range. i mean $1000? Dude, thats a nice tube head and a celestion cab, and maybe a few pedals. Think about it...

+1

You may be surprised. If the only reason you're turned off of tubes is because they're high-matainence, they actually arent. Once you crank a tube amp you'll never go back to SS.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
ok listen I said: "I want a solid state because I dont want to have to deal with a tube amp AND I JUST LIKE THE WAY SOLID STATES SOUND MORE THAN I DO TUBES"

but its mostly because I like the way solid states sound. its not that I havent played any tube amps ive actually played more tubes than I have solid states.
Quote by ironman44321
ok listen I said: "I want a solid state because I dont want to have to deal with a tube amp AND I JUST LIKE THE WAY SOLID STATES SOUND MORE THAN I DO TUBES"

but its mostly because I like the way solid states sound. its not that I havent played any tube amps ive actually played more tubes than I have solid states.

Why so aggressive? Need a hug?

It's fine to want a SS amp. You shouldn't have to spend anywhere near $1000 for one though. See my earlier posts.

or are you just trying to start a ss vs tube flame war?

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 6, 2009,
haha sorry just getting my point across and I said $1000 because im looking for both a head and cab thats all.

p.s. no im not trying to start a ss vs tube flame war but thanks for asking
Quote by ironman44321
oh yeah and anyone have an opinion on the ibanez tone blaster head?

Just that you'd be better off letting me burning your grand in front of you. The sound of your screaming would likely be better than anything you can coax out of that pos.

Why are you not taking the good advice offered?
Quote by ironman44321
oh yeah and anyone have an opinion on the ibanez tone blaster head?

dont

and can someone name off vh140 clones??
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Crate GX130c
There are a few others.

I linked to a VH150 and ampeg 4x12 cab earlier for $300. Got ignored...
haha
I found a vh140 212 for 50 bucks today. Emailed the guy and still no response.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
oh no no sorry man it didnt go ignored like I said just keeping my opions open and I want to make sure I cant find a better amp new before buying used
How you can prefer the tone of a SS amp to a tube is beyond me, but to each his own I suppose.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by sg622
haha
I found a vh140 212 for 50 bucks today. Emailed the guy and still no response.

YOU SON OF A *****!!

that is gonna be mine!!!

J/K......
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by gregs1020
Just that you'd be better off letting me burning your grand in front of you. The sound of your screaming would likely be better than anything you can coax out of that pos.

Why are you not taking the good advice offered?

If I had the sig space...
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
^True that. I also want to know what tube amps you have played. Cuz I came from a SS background and the day I cranked a tube amp was the day I converted

You can find the SAME AMPS NEW OR USED!!! It's not like you're going to find a better one new. **** almost any amp, if you stay patient, will pop up for hundreds of dollars less on your local CL.

Perfect example being Gregs earlier post. That should of been close enough to end this thread. My what a deal and I'm nowhere in the area. ****
If your gonna buy a SS half stack dont buy a cheap one like a tone blaster, frontman, etc.
When you say SS are you excluding modelers? because a used Vetta is in your price range if you look hard enough.
Quote by GNRjungle87
Here's a serious question:

What tube amps have you played?

Just list a couple.
This, and did you actually crank them?...
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by GNRjungle87
Here's a serious question:

What tube amps have you played?

Just list a couple.

for tube amps I have played:
marshall jvm 210h
marshall 2203kk
orange rockerverb 50w combo
mesa boogie dual Rectifier roadster
mesa boogie single rectifier 50
randall rm100c
and a fender hot rod deluxe

and to be honest the mesa roadster is probably the best amp ive ever played ss or tube but its also wicked expensive. and I mean the only one I actually didnt like was the 2203kk but that might have been the Behringer cab it was on. I just like ss amps more, nothing against tubes.
Quote by ironman44321
for tube amps I have played:
marshall jvm 210h
marshall 2203kk
orange rockerverb 50w combo
mesa boogie dual Rectifier roadster
mesa boogie single rectifier 50
randall rm100c
and a fender hot rod deluxe

and to be honest the mesa roadster is probably the best amp ive ever played ss or tube but its also wicked expensive. and I mean the only one I actually didnt like was the 2203kk but that might have been the Behringer cab it was on. I just like ss amps more, nothing against tubes.

3 reasons why.

And did you get the volume on the above amps above three or four?
Quote by Ferrets!
This, and did you actually crank them?...

most of them just not the orange cause the store was kinda small.
Quote by GNRjungle87
3 reasons why.

And did you get the volume on the above amps above three or four?

1. I dont like having an amp that overdrives when you turn it up.
2.the sound quality to price ratio is much higher on ss amps (IMO)
3.tube amps have to much "soul" for my personal taste as far as tone goes.

and yes like I said cranked em except the orange which I still got to 6
Quote by ironman44321
1. I dont like having an amp that overdrives when you turn it up.
2.the sound quality to price ratio is much higher on ss amps (IMO)
3.tube amps have to much "soul" for my personal taste as far as tone goes.

and yes like I said cranked em except the orange which I still got to 6

so basically you are Wayne Static.

i suggest the Ampeg VH140C but if you REALLY want to be Wayne then go git a Marshall MG, it has no soul and it has Crushing overdrive
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Page 1 of 2