Hi can someone please give me some advice?
I have a Jackson js30 warrior (very heavy indian model) but I have gotten bored of the passives supplied with the guitar, I therefore have just purchased an emg 81 with pots etc and am wondering if ive made a mistake.
Will I be able to wire it up leaving one of the passive humbuckers working also?
I should have bought the emg 85 as well but just couldnt afford that as well probably was a little impatient. Please help!
You wouldnt be able to use both pick ups at the same time, you'd have to have both wired seperately therefore creating a tonne of trouble. Best thing to do it unwire the passive and just have the 81 fully working.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
yeah its possible to have an active and a passive both in the same guitar. I haven't done it myself because I only have actives on all my guitars but I certainly have seen it done and know its technically possible. However, in my opinion,you should return the 81 and just get an 85,mod it to 18V and put it in the bridge.amazing tone,a lot better compared to the 81,which sounds weak in front of the 85.
I don't mean what I write in my posts.So don't argue back on it,and don't check me..Because,though I don't mean them,they are the only way I can increase my post count.
Quote by Cpt-Rhodes
Hi can someone please give me some advice?
I have a warrior (very heavy indian model) but I have gotten bored of the passives supplied with the guitar, I therefore have just purchased an emg 81 with pots etc and am wondering if ive made a mistake.
Will I be able to wire it up leaving one of the passive humbuckers working also?
I should have bought the emg 85 as well but just couldnt afford that as well probably was a little impatient. Please help!
yeah. just leave the original pots in there for now and install the pickup and new output jack.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
thanks for the quick replys,
1. will leaving the pots in from passives reduce quality of sound (scratchy)?
2. The 85 didnt appear to come with pots and other **** why is this?,should i really have gone for that instead? if so very annoying lol....too impatiant
Quote by Oosh.
You wouldnt be able to use both pick ups at the same time, you'd have to have both wired seperately therefore creating a tonne of trouble. Best thing to do it unwire the passive and just have the 81 fully working.

actually that's not true. The only difference between actives and passives in terms of wiring is that they like to have lower impedance pots although it's not 100% nessacery and they have the battery. However, this is not a problem as there are only 2 wires on the battery terminal, the red one connects to the pickup(s) and the black one goes to the "ring" of a stereo jack connector. That's it.

I'm assuming this guitar only has 2 pots. Therefore i reckon the best way to wire the guitar up if you don't use your tone control (i know i never do!) Is to replace the tone with a 25k volume pot and wire the other pickup to the other volume pot, changing the wiring so that the pickups come before the selector rather than after. This way, you'll be able to control the volume of each pickup individually which may be useful as you're using an active against a passive.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by Oosh.

Would that sound a lot better than what i have?
Quote by Cpt-Rhodes
2. The 85 didnt appear to come with pots and other **** why is this?,should i really have gone for that instead? if so very annoying lol....too impatiant

To answer the second question, low impedance pots and stereo jack (which you'll need) are pretty cheap so i wouldn't worry too much about it.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
actually that's not true. The only difference between actives and passives in terms of wiring is that they like to have lower impedance pots although it's not 100% nessacery and they have the battery. However, this is not a problem as there are only 2 wires on the battery terminal, the red one connects to the pickup(s) and the black one goes to the "ring" of a stereo jack connector. That's it.

I'm assuming this guitar only has 2 pots. Therefore i reckon the best way to wire the guitar up if you don't use your tone control (i know i never do!) Is to replace the tone with a 25k volume pot and wire the other pickup to the other volume pot, changing the wiring so that the pickups come before the selector rather than after. This way, you'll be able to control the volume of each pickup individually which may be useful as you're using an active against a passive.

Thanks eddiehimself how does the 81 sound on clean if you know?
Quote by Cpt-Rhodes

Not so good.

With its ceramic magnet and lack of headroom it isn't the best on cleans.
have i mad a mistake? i really just need some extra power as im playing a lot of early metallica stuff and noticing a steep lack of quality in my pickups. should i have gone for 85's as im not that fussed about lead. bearing in mind my amps not amazing with bassey ****. a fender sounds unpleasant through my amp
The 81 is a great pickup. I would have replaced the amp before the pickup though.
Why are you worrying if everything you play through your amp sounds horrible?
Quote by idontgrillonwed
The 81 is a great pickup. I would have replaced the amp before the pickup though.
Why are you worrying if everything you play through your amp sounds horrible?

ah sorry i meant recording into computer, yeah ive played good guitars through my amp and they sound terrible but still a lot better than mine. its the hugely unpopular 30dfx to boot!
Quote by Oosh.
These things are simply not true. The Active will dominate when both are selected at the same time, but there is no need to "wire them separately". There will be no "tonne of trouble".

Quote by Cpt-Rhodes
IF the pots from the passives are working fine now, they will continue to do so. You won't gain the added benefit of maintaining low impedance as you roll the volume down, but the high resistance pots will work with both passives and actives.

Quote by Cpt-Rhodes
If it was new, the 85 comes with pots, a cap, cables, and an output jack with battery clip.

The 81 is a higher output pickup intended for use in the bridge.

Quote by idontgrillonwed
Not so good.

With its ceramic magnet and lack of headroom it isn't the best on cleans.
meh, I think an 81 sounds fine in the bridge.
And I wouldn't bother with an 85 in either bridge or neck.
I'd use an 89 and have the advantage of "single" mode.

If headroom is an issue, do the 18v mod.
If headroom at the input of the amp is an issue, roll off the volume on the guitar a bit.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
These things are simply not true. The Active will dominate when both are selected at the same time, but there is no need to "wire them separately". There will be no "tonne of trouble".

IF the pots from the actives are working fine now, they will continue to do so. You won't gain the added benefit of maintaining low impedance as you roll the volume down, but the high resistance pots will work with both passives and actives.

If it was new, the 85 comes with pots, a cap, cables, and an output jack with battery clip.

The 81 is a higher output pickup intended for use in the bridge.

meh, I think an 81 sounds fine in the bridge.
And I wouldn't bother with an 85 in either bridge or neck.
I'd use an 89 and have the advantage of "single" mode.

If headroom is an issue, do the 18v mod.
If headroom at the input of the amp is an issue, roll off the volume on the guitar a bit.

thanks someoneyouknew
are you saying i can just fit 81 into bridge leaving my old passive in the neck. and then use pots and jack from new 81 and still have them both work. im a little confused lol
On the EMG site, it says what syk said, but it said that in the middle position of the toggle, the emg's sound will be real weak. However, I remember somebody posted a mod on this forum about this. They did like a booster or something. Search for it.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Cpt-Rhodes
thanks someoneyouknew
are you saying i can just fit 81 into bridge leaving my old passive in the neck. and then use pots and jack from new 81 and still have them both work. im a little confused lol
Sorry, i misspoke. I said the pots from the Actives and that caused your confusion. I've since edited that post.

Put the 81 in the bridge.
Replace the jack with the new one the has the battery clip.
Keep the pots that are already in the guitar.
wire the 81 to the selector where you removed the old pickup.
done.
you can use the guitar with the passive at the neck and the active at the bridge.

Save the new pots for when you convert over to all Actives.
Your passive will sound like mud if you use a 25k pot with it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Sorry, i misspoke. I said the pots from the Actives and that caused your confusion. I've since edited that post.

Put the 81 in the bridge.
Replace the jack with the new one the has the battery clip.
Keep the pots that are already in the guitar.
wire the 81 to the selector where you removed the old pickup.
done.
you can use the guitar with the passive at the neck and the active at the bridge.

Save the new pots for when you convert over to all Actives.
Your passive will sound like mud if you use a 25k pot with it.

Thanks very much for clear instructions i will let you know how it goes when i fit them.
Quote by Cpt-Rhodes

i personally think they sound pretty good. Some people hate them but they're better than any high output passives i've had a go on.
EH