ive been playing guitar for about 9 months now, and im getting really good.
Ive got all the basic techniques down like palm muting, hammer ons, pull offs, alt. picking, etc. Recently ive started learning sweeps, i found the 3 string sweeps pretty simple, but the 5 string sweeps or 6 string sweeps, im finding difficulties with.
so if anyone could help, id really appreciate it
The
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
really??? me too ive been playing for 9 months also,and ive got the 5 strings down.
it actually took me long to get a 3 string Am arpeggio lol.
but idk really what to say just get the feel of it,go slow,and practice.
yup thats the best i can give.
Quote by AEROTROOPER159
really??? me too ive been playing for 9 months also,and ive got the 5 strings down.
it actually took me long to get a 3 string Am arpeggio lol.
but idk really what to say just get the feel of it,go slow,and practice.
yup thats the best i can give.

thats wat ive been doing, slow and practice, but the thing is, ive only recently started learning them, like a week or so, and the thing is im finding them way harder than the 3 string sweeps, so do u think that if i just keep at it for a while itll work??
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by soloXshredder
thats wat ive been doing, slow and practice, but the thing is, ive only recently started learning them, like a week or so, and the thing is im finding them way harder than the 3 string sweeps, so do u think that if i just keep at it for a while itll work??

Why dont you do a 4 string sweep?
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
Slow down, you've been playing not even a year. You don't have to rush to the advanced stuff yet.

Get a good sense of feel, vibrato and phrasing before you start taclking advanced stuff, it's not a race.
Quote by griffRG7321
Slow down, you've been playing not even a year. You don't have to rush to the advanced stuff yet.

Get a good sense of feel, vibrato and phrasing before you start taclking advanced stuff, it's not a race.

+1

I do wonder if these kind of players really are as awful as I imagine them to be.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Start playing it slowly with a metronome. Build up speed. If it's still too hard and you don't improve at all for days then just work on getting more comfortable with both hands with easier techniques
Quote by steven seagull
I do wonder if these kind of players really are as awful as I imagine them to be.

Some might be, but I'm not terrible at 5 string sweeps and I've only played about 9-10 months. I might be a little more focused and making myself practice accuracy first, then speed.

TS, to start with, I imagine that the finger roll is becoming a problem. In that case, practice it slowly and cleanly until you can play back and forth between the two notes every time. That's how I started with five-string sweeps.
Quote by steven seagull
+1

++1

people can say all the want about how they have their sweeping down, but until you are breezing through These kinds of licks you do NOT have your sweeping down.
I really think sweeping (and any guitar technique for that matter) comes down to lots and lots of proper practice (1000s of hours).

If I had a nickel for every time a beginner horribly exaggerates their skill in this forum I'd be filthy rich.
Quote by Geldin
Some might be, but I'm not terrible at 5 string sweeps and I've only played about 9-10 months. I might be a little more focused and making myself practice accuracy first, then speed.

TS, to start with, I imagine that the finger roll is becoming a problem. In that case, practice it slowly and cleanly until you can play back and forth between the two notes every time. That's how I started with five-string sweeps.

Someone might be great at sweeping, but that doesn't mean they couldn't still be a terrible player - one technique does not a musician make. A guitarist's skill isn't defined by the most complicated/difficult/flashy single thing they happen to know, it's about the big picture. No point spending weeks perfecting one 6 string swept arepggio if you can't do something simple like play a every G chord on the neck or pick out a simple melody like Happy Birthday.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Someone might be great at sweeping, but that doesn't mean they couldn't still be a terrible player - one technique does not a musician make. A guitarist's skill isn't defined by the most complicated/difficult/flashy single thing they happen to know, it's about the big picture. No point spending weeks perfecting one 6 string swept arepggio if you can't do something simple like play a every G chord on the neck or pick out a simple melody like Happy Birthday.

He may smell of fish but the seagull is right...... very right.
[
Quote by steven seagull

I picked out the melody to "in the land of oz where the women wear no bras.."

does that make me good?

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
I highly doubt they can sweep without the strings ringing. I can sweep with the strings ringing on 5 strings easy. I'm nearly on the stage of doing 3 string sweeping not ringing, i just need to get the major pattern down without rolling my finger. I've been playing for 1 and a half years.
Quote by Nafon
I highly doubt they can sweep without the strings ringing. I can sweep with the strings ringing on 5 strings easy. I'm nearly on the stage of doing 3 string sweeping not ringing, i just need to get the major pattern down without rolling my finger. I've been playing for 1 and a half years.

No you can't.
Quote by LukeElliff
IF you want faster stumming then loosen your strings, that will force you into using more strength

Quote by pantallica95
i dont know about the polarity and ****, but my regular ones just wont go in the hole without a lot of force.
You guys are rediculous. I didn't even attempt sweeping until I had been playing guitar for like 3 or 4 years. And I played for 6 hours easily everyday.

You beginners need to slow down and really get the basics and fundamentals down before you start TRYING to learn advanced techniques.
Quote by steven seagull

As ever the Seagull is absolutely right.

I would also like to add that a technique hasn't been truely learned until you can use it in your playing - I've been playing for 6/7 years and I still have a lot of trouble making my sweeping work in a musical context.

On the subject of the technique itself as well: people put way too much stock in it as an idea, all the time people spend sweeping would be much better spent achieving more solid alternate picking, working on finger independence and working on better intonation on bends/vibrato.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
As ever the Seagull is absolutely right.

I would also like to add that a technique hasn't been truely learned until you can use it in your playing - I've been playing for 6/7 years and I still have a lot of trouble making my sweeping work in a musical context.

On the subject of the technique itself as well: people put way too much stock in it as an idea, all the time people spend sweeping would be much better spent achieving more solid alternate picking, working on finger independence and working on better intonation on bends/vibrato.

Thats where it really matters. If you can actually put it into a musical Context.

Another thing... About all of your doubts about people 1 year in sweeping, Ive got a sweeping skill up. Its not great, but Its not bad, and it gets it done.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Thats where it really matters. If you can actually put it into a musical Context.

Another thing... About all of your doubts about people 1 year in sweeping, Ive got a sweeping skill up. Its not great, but Its not bad, and it gets it done.
He's right, TS.
I can use it somewhat but to be honest don't bother until you've learned a bit of scales and modes, plus a bit of theory.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.