Just wanted opinions on how well this would work for a punk/grunge breakdown/bridge. It would be played at a tempo of about 130 BPM, and over a simple 4/4 drumbeat. Btw, this is all eight notes, played at a steady pace.
And in the first measure, that's a 12, followed by an open note. This would probably just repeat throughout the breakdown (or bridge), first with no guitar, then the guitar adding in after a few repeats.

G|----------------|----------------|
D|----------------|----------------|
A|----------------|----7---4---3---|
E|0-0-7-0-0-0-120-|0-0---7---5---3-|

Just wanted opinions, and figured the best people to ask would be fellow bassists who could try it out for themselves.
Since when does punk or grunge have breakdowns? And in my scholarly opinion it sounds like a big pile of lose. It carries no weight, there's no force or movement to it. The object of music is to create aural tension and then to release said tension. That line seems to be letting the tension go, but it never builds it. And at 130 bpm it's way too slow. If it was straight 8ths at 200bpm, and then perhaps used as a small part of a much larger break it could be an effective riff. As it stands though it sounds like hell.
Quote by Bumper
Since when does punk or grunge have breakdowns? And in my scholarly opinion it sounds like a big pile of lose. It carries no weight, there's no force or movement to it. The object of music is to create aural tension and then to release said tension. That line seems to be letting the tension go, but it never builds it. And at 130 bpm it's way too slow. If it was straight 8ths at 200bpm, and then perhaps used as a small part of a much larger break it could be an effective riff. As it stands though it sounds like hell.

After every three you would play this.

G|----------------|----------------|
D|----------------|----------------|
A|----------------|----7-7-7-7-7-7-|
E|0-0-7-0-0-0-120-|0-0-------------|

And the guitar would add the tension. After the bass goes through the three and alt once, the guitar would start by just holding out a chord for a couple measures, then build up from there. If you still don't like it though, I guess maybe you're right.
I honestly can't see the point of haveing a breakdown in straight 8ths int he a 4/4 time sig either, a breakdown is typically syncopated, or at least wanders from the main riff so as to change stuff up. Doing them in 4/4 time sigs has always seemed pointless to me, but I guess they have their place. Doing one in straight 8ths though, man that just kinda sounds boring. It's ok, i guess but if I were you I'd revamp the whole thing at the least.
Quote by Slay 'Em
A break down without any rests? What is the world coming to.

I guess the title breakdown is a bit off; it's meant more as a bridge, a change.
Quote by herby190
I guess the title breakdown is a bit off; it's meant more as a bridge, a change.

breakdown =/= bridge
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come