I recently bought a boss mt-2 metal zone pedal, and ive finally found my tone after fiddling around for a couple of weeks with it, but whenever i tap or do trills, no matter how hard i hammer or pull, the sound just fades and it sounds crap.

If it helps to know, i have the gain set to around 6-7 on my pedal.

Anyone know whats up and how I could get trills going again
I've had that problem with a lot of lower quality solid state amps and pedals. Tapping and other techniques like that (and pinch harmonics) just kind of barely sound out and fade quickly? I don't really know how to fix it, but I've been there before.
Quote by Ampx612
Anyone know whats up and how I could get trills going again

Practice.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
pinch harmonics seem to be fine.. im just thinking, my amp isnt bad, fender 212 frontman, and its a pretty high quality pedal.. dunno why its fading so fast
do you have any reverb on your amp, it helps with that, it gives it a little bit of an echo, you don't need a lot, just a tiny bit put enough to make echo.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
no its not practice, before i got my pedal, i used distortions and i could trill and tap fine, but the volume just fades with my metal zone
What amp do you have?

It's likely that your amp isn't taking your pedal very well, because the chances are it's a SS.
the metal zone is most definitely not a "high quality" pedal
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
a frontman 212 is a low quality SS amp
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Solid State. As in, not a tube amplifier, tube amps generally take pedals a lot better.

And by "generally", I mean "certainly".
Quote by Ampx612
this is gonna sound stupid but, what do you mean by SS

Solid State, just a speaker no tubes in it. They have a thinner sound and aren't as loud even at the same wattage as an all tube amp.
Quote by Rhoads_1096
Solid State, just a speaker no tubes in it. They have a thinner sound and aren't as loud even at the same wattage as an all tube amp.

I hope you don't literally mean the speaker?

But yeah, tube amps are 3X louder for the same watt, and they sound heavenly when they begin to break up. :]

I <3 tube amps.

But yeah, your MT-2 will sound pretty crappy through a frontman 212 if that is indeed your amp.
If you're after that tone, then yah. Did you try the pedal before you bought it, if so, on what amp?
yeah i tried it, cant remember what amp, but it was clearly gonna be a good one in dawsons

TS, I'll just be straight. The reason your setup does not sound good is not because it's solid state, it's because it's a low end amp, and you're putting a buzzy, fizzy, sterile, toneless sounding pedal through it. I don't want to start bashing gear, but the metal zone is not a good pedal, and the frontman is not a good amp. It IS a solid state amp, however... (and I move on to this...)
Quote by Juadafi
Solid State. As in, not a tube amplifier, tube amps generally take pedals a lot better.

And by "generally", I mean "certainly".

Wrong. There are several good solid state amps that work especially well as a foundation for players who like to use a lot of pedals, specifically BECAUSE they are solid state and thus have the quality of linear response. You cannot argue with this. This is physics, that the linearity of a solid state amp will lead to the best signal preservation. And if you truly believe that solid state amps "certainly" do not take pedals as well as tube amps, then you obviously have not played enough solid state amps. Ever hear of the Roland JC-120? The amp is famous for it's ability as a foundation for pedal heavy players. Now if you have a crap amp and it's sounding bad with pedals, it's not because it's SS, because it's a crap amp.

Normally, guitarists like the non-linearity and the type of frequency response that a tube amp yileds, and it really leads a lot into how physics describes electronics, not tone as tubes are essentially obsolete devices with no application whatsoever in modern day outside of instrument and audio amplification. BUT, one of the only places where that linearity can become a positive attribute is that it preserves the signal and thus can work great for people who want to use pedals as long as the amp itself does not sound like a fart in a bag.
Quote by Rhoads_1096

Good God... no, just... no.

I will say this on tube amps however....

If you don't have a lot of money to spend (say less than $500), there are many more widely available budget tube amps out now than there were maybe... even 5 to 10 years ago. $250 can buy you a very good sounding Vox AC4TV. It's a cheap amp with tubes, pots, jack, everything in fact mounted on cheap PCB, but my god does it sound good. Ditto goes for the little Blackheart amps.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by al112987

TS, I'll just be straight. The reason your setup does not sound good is not because it's solid state, it's because it's a low end amp, and you're putting a buzzy, fizzy, sterile, toneless sounding pedal through it. I don't want to start bashing gear, but the metal zone is not a good pedal, and the frontman is not a good amp. It IS a solid state amp, however... (and I move on to this...)

Wrong. There are several good solid state amps that work especially well as a foundation for players who like to use a lot of pedals, specifically BECAUSE they are solid state and thus have the quality of linear response. You cannot argue with this. This is physics, that the linearity of a solid state amp will lead to the best signal preservation. And if you truly believe that solid state amps "certainly" do not take pedals as well as tube amps, then you obviously have not played enough solid state amps. Ever hear of the Roland JC-120? The amp is famous for it's ability as a foundation for pedal heavy players. Now if you have a crap amp and it's sounding bad with pedals, it's not because it's SS, because it's a crap amp.

Normally, guitarists like the non-linearity and the type of frequency response that a tube amp yileds, and it really leads a lot into how physics describes electronics, not tone as tubes are essentially obsolete devices with no application whatsoever in modern day outside of instrument and audio amplification. BUT, one of the only places where that linearity can become a positive attribute is that it preserves the signal and thus can work great for people who want to use pedals as long as the amp itself does not sound like a fart in a bag.

Good God... no, just... no.

I will say this on tube amps however....

If you don't have a lot of money to spend (say less than $500), there are many more widely available budget tube amps out now than there were maybe... even 5 to 10 years ago. $250 can buy you a very good sounding Vox AC4TV. It's a cheap amp with tubes, pots, jack, everything in fact mounted on cheap PCB, but my god does it sound good. Ditto goes for the little Blackheart amps.

FINALLY!! someone with the knowledge to ACTUALLY make an arguable statement. I applaud you in the knowledge you have bestowed upon everyone.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Quote by heretic-clown

FINALLY!! someone with the knowledge to ACTUALLY make an arguable statement. I applaud you in the knowledge you have bestowed upon everyone.

+1 to this and +1 to what the guy he was complimenting said.

TS, sure your gear isn't amazing, but keep in mind that while that is true, there is always the possibility that it IS your technique. It could be your guitar if it is cheap or poorly set up as well.

For some reason when people hear you have a boss distortion pedal and a frontman amp they blindly start telling you to buy new gear instead of considering other possibilities. This thread is a prime example of such a mindset.