Page 1 of 2
I have 3 Ibanezs and a Jackson V. I was looking to buy a new guitar either a Gibson Explorer or a ESP fx with iron plate. My favorite band Metallica uses ESP and i have some preconcived notions about Gibsons like the crazy isane wild prices. I am an idiot when it comes to guitars so any suggestions. BTW my price range is from $0 to $5000. Also like i said i love Metallica and trash in general plus classic rock like ACDC and Zeppelin.
If your willing to spend that much, get the ESP James Hetfield Iron Cross

And his older Truckster guitar is now in Black
Last edited by Shred-Hed at Jul 6, 2009,
Metallica use Gibbson too
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Gibsons aren't that expensive except for Les Pauls, Custom Shop, and Special Editions. Both guitars will probably cost around the same but they feel completely different. Just try them out.
I'd get either an ESP or and ESP LTD 1000 series guitar. They are both great, but i would never get a signature guitar no matter what brand.
kirk used gibson for fade to black unforgiven etc but i play lead ibanez is real good for lead and heavier rhytmns does esp have the same variety in tone
I'll sell you my Squier Bullet for $5000. It's what Metallica REALLY uses.
Creator of the Llamastack

go for the esp truckster or the esp custom shop explorer that james hetfield uses. or get the esp m-II that kirk hammet uses. Both very nice guitars
My Gear:

PRS Se Custom 24
Vox Vt 30
Esp Ltd C-301 Bass
Acoustic B100 Bass Amp
Morley Power Wah Bass Pedal
Quote by ChaoticVengence
Metallica use Gibbson too
Both James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett own 1959 sunbursts.
i have 2 ibanez rg a **** starter one and like i said some kickass james hetfield looking guitar like fx or ex model or maybe the eclispe hetfield sig i alrealdy got a white jackson v to al11987 kirk and james own 500 studio and tour guitars combined and james collect classic fenders and gibsons but use them 2 much
Last edited by RaiderFootball1 at Jul 6, 2009,
ESP's are good for metal, and some hard rock, you should get a good gibson with some higher gain pickups, but not emg's, so you can play the classic rock stuff as well, get a good custom, thats only about $3000, and it should do great.

wait, you should try a Gibson Explorer, the pickups are good for lighter rock, but with the right amp, you can definitely do heavy metallica songs!
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
Last edited by Dimefan69 at Jul 6, 2009,
Go for the Gibson if you also like Zeppelin.
Quote by hendrix_128
because its hot when two girls have sex. when two guys have sex, its ****ing gay.
just get the esp ex-401 i have it. it has the same pickups that metallica uses EMG 81/60 sounds great and its an explorer style body. its ****ing awesome
Quote by CreepingxDeth
just get the esp ex-401 i have it. it has the same pickups that metallica uses EMG 81/60 sounds great and its an explorer style body. its ****ing awesome

with your budget i would def. go with an ESP standard unless you want a Gibson, much better QC and some slightly better specs.
Last edited by Dimefan69 at Jul 6, 2009,
With that kind of money why not just get a custom guitar?
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
i love metal- hard rock as a hobby just fooling around i like to play classic i mostly play metallica pantera megadeth zakk wylde some new hard rock bands and a bit of classic
thats wat this thread is about i just graduated got a football scholarship to college so i got some money bought a mesa boogie amp want a new guitar either esp or gibson
Quote by RaiderFootball1
i love metal- hard rock as a hobby just fooling around i like to play classic i mostly play metallica pantera megadeth zakk wylde some new hard rock bands and a bit of classic

Well then, first, what shape do you most like?

then look at that shape in either ESP or Gibson, see which you like better, (small differences)

EMG's will do your main music perfect, but not lighter stuff, Gibson pickups can do metal, and lighter stuff.
You could get a gibson les paul classic. Those pickups are high gain. And with the other $3000 Buy an amp, like a Mesa/Boogie or something. Metallica uses dual rectifiers.
Quote by gljbass
You could get a gibson les paul classic. Those pickups are high gain. And with the other $3000 Buy an amp, like a Mesa/Boogie or something. Metallica uses dual rectifiers.

Hammet uses Randalls now, mostly...

and he already bought a Mesa.
i might buy a esp for metal and a cheap guitar for classic rock wat do u reccomend for under $400 for classic rock
You try an MIM fat strat, or regular strat, an Epi LP/SG/Explorer.
wow wat r randalls
i play lead guitar and vocals but my idol is james hetfield and he gets some beast clean tones wit esp
Randall is an amp company, they make Kirk Hammets signature amp.
Quote by RaiderFootball1
yea ur an idiot but wat ev smart guy

lol, you do realize he was joking right? You dont? let me explain. He was making the statement, that no matter how SHITTY the guitar is, if you put a Metallica label on it you can literally sell it for thousands. You Follow me?

EDIT- And TS, LEARN TO TYPE MAN
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by RaiderFootball1
wow wat r randalls
i play lead guitar and vocals but my idol is james hetfield and he gets some beast clean tones wit esp

The cleans don't come from the ESP. EMGs may have the worst cleans of all time. His clean tones come from his JC-120. Never buy a guitar that you intend to play because of what someone else plays. It's fine if you buy it as a collector's item, but when it comes to playability, everyone is different. Play what you like, not what James Hetfield likes. You can play thrash and heavy metal on any guitar.
i did'nt even no wtf randall is i thought they both used mesa for a while i ****in love the mesa though crazy amps
i never said the randall was good, i love mesa as well. what kind do you have?
like i said i don't no **** about pickups and guitars i want a high quality guitar for metal and hard rock i like my ibanezs but i want something better everyone says esp is great for metal and gibson has great clean tones plus lightly distorted i hate my jackson v wit a passion so i need something. is there a guitar that can crush a metal riff the go into the soft master of puppets solo or is that immpossible plus wat is a JC-120
A JC-120 is the Roland Jazz Chorus amp that Hetfield uses.
Quote by RaiderFootball1
like i said i don't no **** about pickups and guitars i want a high quality guitar for metal and hard rock i like my ibanezs but i want something better everyone says esp is great for metal and gibson has great clean tones plus lightly distorted i hate my jackson v wit a passion so i need something. is there a guitar that can crush a metal riff the go into the soft master of puppets solo or is that immpossible plus wat is a JC-120

Honestly, if you like your Ibanez and you're looking for something better, why not get a high end Ibanez (Prestige or J. Custom)?
i like ibanez but thats all anyone i no really uses the guitar stores in my area suck and have limited product variety like no real high high end guitar so if ive only really played ibanezs so idk if esps r better
Page 1 of 2