I didn't post this in the build thread because I'm not gonna get any answers in there.
Anyways, my squier's neck pocket is sticking up on one side. It's a bolt-on, and yes, I am sure I bolted it on correctly. I am 100% sure that it's not supposed to be crooked, while my dad insists it is. We examined the neck pockets on three other guitars, where none of them were crooked, yet he still claims it was meant to be that way.
Pictures of said pocket:

I have side views too. If you want to see them just request and I'll post them.
Last edited by salsawords at Jul 6, 2009,
Does it in any way hinder your playing?

How is it sitting at the bottom of the pocket?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
Does it in any way hinder your playing?

How is it sitting at the bottom of the pocket?

I haven't played it recently, but I'm about to install a new bridge. I suspect it probably will. It looks like it sits fine, there's a little bit of empty pocket but it's a squier so meh. I'm thinking that when I stripped the paint away I didn't sand the pocket completely flat, or perpendicular to the sides (if you get that).
EDIT: I misunderstood the question. When it's bolted on it looks pretty flush to the bottom of the pocket from the side view.
Last edited by salsawords at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by salsawords
I have side views too. If you want to see them just request and I'll post them.
No need.

Possibilities:
Your neck heel is canted.
You neck pocket isn't routed level.
Something is preventing the neck from sitting flat in the neck pocket.

I dunno which, but one of these is the culprit. This is just plain wrong.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
o_q I have deduced.

Doesn't seem like it would be a problem, so unless it makes it play badly, or damages some other part, leave it, because you stand a decent chance of damaging it if you 'fix' it wrong.
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
Quote by Ninjake
o_q I have deduced.

Doesn't seem like it would be a problem, so unless it makes it play badly, or damages some other part, leave it, because you stand a decent chance of damaging it if you 'fix' it wrong.
how could it not make it play badly? with that much angle, you'll need to have the bridge saddles WAAAAAAY high on the high-e side and way low on the low-E side.

just ... no.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
So the general consensus is that it's wrong. So to fix this I should block sand the neck pocket until the neck sits flat?
Lawl at the people saying that just because one side of the neck pocket is half an inch too shallow doesn't mean the guitar wont play well

TS:
The best way to prove that the neck pocket is screwed up would probably be to do a mock up with the bridge and tuners installed, string the guitar and show him that the strings will be muted/unplayable on the upper 3 strings.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
how could it not make it play badly? with that much angle, you'll need to have the bridge saddles WAAAAAAY high on the high-e side and way low on the low-E side.

just ... no.

*looks at it again*

:|

Well, it's on the opposite side than i originally thought, that's a problem.

And wow, you're right.. I didn't think it was quite so bad, i went more from what he said than the picture :|

But still, unless you're confident that you can make it right, don't try it yourself, cuz you could do just a tiny bit too much and ruin the whole thing.
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
Sand the neck pocket until it's flat. Then sand the neck join until it's flat. If the problem persists, then the issue is with the neck.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Don't sand it. Chisel it. I sanded the paint out of the pocket of my squier and facked up, so to make it level again I scraped a chisel along the pocket to level it out. You shouldn't need to hammer it. Just just it as a mini plane.

Worked beautifully for me. Went from unplayble to playing beautifully again.
Quote by Schism1985
Lawl at the people saying that just because one side of the neck pocket is half an inch too shallow doesn't mean the guitar wont play well

TS:
The best way to prove that the neck pocket is screwed up would probably be to do a mock up with the bridge and tuners installed, string the guitar and show him that the strings will be muted/unplayable on the upper 3 strings.

Well at this point I've stripped it and I've filled in the trem route so I can install a wraparound bridge. I haven't installed the bridge yet and I figured it would be best to fix this problem before I move forward.
By the way, if anyone's interested, the thread for the mod is right here. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091954
It actually looks to me, that the body, is sloping away from the neck. IE, material has been removed across the right hand side of the body, which is making the neck "appear" proud on that side.

It certainly seems like an option.

Can I suggest a straight edge down the neck on each side (on the fret board) and measure the height of the straight edge at a defined point around the bridge area?

If you get my drift.

You could even just measure the depth of the neck pup rout, on each side and see if they are equal.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by salsawords
So the general consensus is that it's wrong. So to fix this I should block sand the neck pocket until the neck sits flat?
Check the neck heel first. It it's canted, there's no point in modifying the neck pocket to compensate for the neck being wrong.

Fix the problem. Don't make something else wrong to match.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
TS, do you possibly have pictures of the inside of the neck pocket?
it's all coming back

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Check the neck heel first. It it's canted, there's no point in modifying the neck pocket to compensate for the neck being wrong.

Fix the problem. Don't make something else wrong to match.

I measured the neck heel and it's flat.
To baby joel: I'll take a picture but it'll take a second for me to get it up (that's what she said).
After looking at these pictures, I'm going to agree with Skeet.
it's all coming back

dad is wrong sorry dad

just measured my neck height . its.320 on both sides. measurment from the back of the neck to the back of the guitar at the end of the body is 1.130 on both sideseither the cut is too deep on one side or you god a un even cut on the neck either is easy to determinenot sure what the taper is if any. sure you dont have a shim stuck to one side of the base of the neck. although considering those are made in bumf#$@ egypt or the back woods of indonesia your lucky thats all that is wrong. id take it apart to find which is incorrect and fix it. that high side will make you have your saddles up way too high and the same for the pickups. . i fixed a japan guitar like this a while back by shaving the pocket. be aware if there is a taper it must be maintained. good luck sorry dad.

by the way those measurments came off a fender strat.
sorry dad your wrong my strat measures .320 on both ends of the neck to the body and at the heel the pocket measures1.320 on both sides. these measurements come off a fender strat. the guy that said to use a chisel to shave it is correct. bear in mind to check if the pocket is tapered for neck tilt some guitars have there neck slots slightly tilted toard the neck . so check for this ahead of time. acording to another strat body i have on my bench theres no tilt. but check yours.
Quote by salsawords
Okay, turtle boy. But measure again, just to be absolutely certain. Measure the thickness at corresponding points on the low-E side and the high-e side. Both near the end and farther up a bit. Make sure they match.

then move to the neck pocket...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by Baby Joel
After looking at these pictures, I'm going to agree with Skeet.

Yeah, that last one would seem to confirm it for me too.

It is not your neck, nor your pocket, but teh top of your guitar has gone missing on one side mate.

Measure the depth of both sides of the back of the neck pocket and the front of the neck pup rout. I will wager that the right side is lower.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jul 6, 2009,
Okay SYK, I've returned with extensive measurements. On the neck heel, it is the same depth everywhere.
I also measured the neck pickup route and strangely it's the same depth on both sides.

2, 3, and 4 are all 3/4". Between 2 and 1, and beyond 1, it progressively decreases. I'm gonna go ahead and chisel and sand it until it looks right.
Wait.
For curiosity sake, could you measure the thickness of the two horns?
it's all coming back

Quote by salsawords
Okay SYK, I've returned with extensive measurements. On the neck heel, it is the same depth everywhere.
I also measured the neck pickup route and strangely it's the same depth on both sides.

2, 3, and 4 are all 3/4". Between 2 and 1, and beyond 1, it progressively decreases. I'm gonna go ahead and chisel and sand it until it looks right.
That sounds backward!

Methinks Skeet nailed it. Your body is thicker on the E-side than on the e-side.

Think CAREFULLY before you move ahead at this point!
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by salsawords
To baby joel: I'll take a picture but it'll take a second for me to get it up (that's what she said).

If "she" ever says that to me, I'm running away as fast as I can!

That would definitely hamper playability!
In addition to the neck and neck pocket, I would take a look at the body (like Skeet mentioned). It's difficult to tell from the picture, but it looks like it may be that way. Did you notice this problem before you stripped and sanded the body?
Maybe you removed too much material.
Whatever you do, keep measuring and re-measure until you are certain you have identified the problem and only modify the parts that are wrong.
Last edited by cedricsmods at Jul 6, 2009,
I have to disagree. Looks to me like the pocket is uneven, especially in that last picture...

Then again, could be an optical loo looshin...
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
That sounds backward!

Methinks Skeet nailed it. Your body is thicker on the E-side than on the e-side.

Think CAREFULLY before you move ahead at this point!

I'm sure that the neck pocket is thicker on the E side, not sure about the body.
To baby joel: the lower horn is 1 1/4" and the upper is 1 3/8", but I still think that the body is pretty straight otherwise, because I was a little messy with the horns.
Quote by cedricsmods
If "she" ever says that to me, I'm running away as fast as I can!

That would definitely hamper playability!
In addition to the neck and neck pocket, I would take a look at the body (like Skeet mentioned). It's difficult to tell from the picture, but it looks like it may be that way. Did you notice this problem before you stripped and sanded the body?
Maybe you removed too much material.

Whatever you do, keep measuring and re-measure until you are certain you have identified the problem and only modify the parts that are wrong.

I never noticed this before, but of course I wasn't really paying attention to it either. It's very possible I removed too much material, I'll check some more places to be sure.
Quote by salsawords
I'm sure that the neck pocket is thicker on the E side, not sure about the body.
All things being equal, that would make the neck sit higher on the E-side. But it doesn't. It sits higher on the e-side. You have something else way-wrong...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
All things being equal, that would make the neck sit higher on the E-side. But it doesn't. It sits higher on the e-side. You have something else way-wrong...

Oh god I'm so confused.
I'm just going to sand the pocket, focusing more on the high e side, little by little.
Thanks for all the help guys.
After a little sanding, check it out.

Good enough for me.
Thanks everybody, though I probably could've done this on my own.