It's a long story, but finally I decided to put apart any brand (I was about to get an LTD) and assemble my own warmoth, it would be my first assemble but I am very confident about it, my parents already said to me that in about 1 month we're ordering the body from them, is a really nice advantage that they ship internationally...(If you want specs just ask for them and I'll write them down...)
So I was going to buy an Iceman body but I had a question, I wanted to put a pickguard to the body but I don't know exactly which pickguard could fit into an Iceman body...do you know which one fits?
Another question, for an OFR which compound radius neck would be better? 10" to 16" or 10" to 14"? post your opinions if you have any
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
Why would you ruin it with a pickguard?

Also the radius doesn't really matter with the bridge afaik. What matters is what you like more. 10-16 will mean it gets flatter higher on the neck (i think 16" is what ibanez uses on wizard necks) than 10-14.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Why would you ruin it with a pickguard?

Also the radius doesn't really matter with the bridge afaik. What matters is what you like more. 10-16 will mean it gets flatter higher on the neck (i think 16" is what ibanez uses on wizard necks) than 10-14.

Well it remains only like an option since I don't want to make the holes myself, and I doubt if warmoth can do them...I just want the best for my little girl hope it'll look as sexy as I imagine
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
Quote by RiksRiks
Well it remains only like an option since I don't want to make the holes myself, and I doubt if warmoth can do them...I just want the best for my little girl hope it'll look as sexy as I imagine

You could just get it rear-routed and not have a pickguard.
Quote by Pac_man0123
You could just get it rear-routed and not have a pickguard.

Yeah that was my other option, I was planning in getting one already painted of Dye Red with cream binding and black hardware I think it'll look, feel, and play like god
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
Seagull that's beautiful. Only thing I'd change is getting cream pickup rings.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
i don't think warmoth offers top routed iceman bodies, so it would be purely for looks. BUT you could have warmoth send you a blank pickguard plastic piece and you could cut your own. i think the blanks are cheaper, but warmoth is down at the moment it looks like...

i just got my warmoth body about a week ago and it's the nicest guitar body i've EVER seen. you can't really go wrong, it's a great choice! the neck i got too. just all top of the line
I dunno about Iceman pickguards, but regarding the radius question:

Another question, for an OFR which compound radius neck would be better? 10" to 16" or 10" to 14"? post your opinions if you have any
Well, the best fit for an OFR is actually 10" straight. I also have not found there to be any advantage to a compound radius (in fact I find it to be quite a disadvantage when I play rhythm parts), but maybe that's just me.

To answer the question directly though, there are two things; firstly, a 10"-14" radius would fit better, and secondly 10"-16" is the only compound radius Warmoth do anyway (and you'd need to buy their necks since obviously the neck hell and body neck pocket specs have to match exactly or the guitar will be crap) so you've got to go for 10-16" if you want a compound radius fretboard. Like I said before though, personally I prefer to pay the extra money and get a straight fretboard. If you're using a Floyd, a straight 10" radius is what the Floyd was designed for so the 10"-16" compound radius can cause some intonation and fretbuzz problems. I'm not saying it's entirely useless, but you do have to really know what you're doing to get it to play right and even then it'll never work as well as a OFR does with a 10" straight neck.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
(and you'd need to buy their necks since obviously the neck hell and body neck pocket specs have to match exactly or the guitar will be crap)

you wouldn't have to buy a warmoth neck. warmoth builds all of it's bodies (no matter what the shape) to exact fender neck pocket specifications, so any neck that should fit a fender should be fine. BUT warmoth products are top of the line, so i'd suggest them over anybody.

so if you spend too much on the body and can't afford a neck right away, throw on an old strat neck until you can.
Quote by MrFlibble
I dunno about Iceman pickguards, but regarding the radius question:

Well, the best fit for an OFR is actually 10" straight. I also have not found there to be any advantage to a compound radius (in fact I find it to be quite a disadvantage when I play rhythm parts), but maybe that's just me.

To answer the question directly though, there are two things; firstly, a 10"-14" radius would fit better, and secondly 10"-16" is the only compound radius Warmoth do anyway (and you'd need to buy their necks since obviously the neck hell and body neck pocket specs have to match exactly or the guitar will be crap) so you've got to go for 10-16" if you want a compound radius fretboard. Like I said before though, personally I prefer to pay the extra money and get a straight fretboard. If you're using a Floyd, a straight 10" radius is what the Floyd was designed for so the 10"-16" compound radius can cause some intonation and fretbuzz problems. I'm not saying it's entirely useless, but you do have to really know what you're doing to get it to play right and even then it'll never work as well as a OFR does with a 10" straight neck.

I think I'll try the compound radius, since is my first assemble, then if I don't like it or I notice some bad bad problems I could order another neck and leave that one for my next assemble....or build (hoping I don't change much specs but nevermind)

Quote by LifeIsABullet16
you wouldn't have to buy a warmoth neck. warmoth builds all of it's bodies (no matter what the shape) to exact fender neck pocket specifications, so any neck that should fit a fender should be fine. BUT warmoth products are top of the line, so i'd suggest them over anybody.

so if you spend too much on the body and can't afford a neck right away, throw on an old strat neck until you can.

Yeah I already thought of that, but the only fender neck I have right know is the one of my Starcaster start pack XD lol and I think it got the intonation all messed up so I can wait, unless it do some kind of harm to the body then I would do it...
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
Last edited by RiksRiks at Jul 6, 2009,
You can't even use 'any' Fender neck either, as the bolt positions do change slightly from model to model. The Warmoth pocket is made to the same spec as the American Fender Standards. Fender necks from Mexico, Japan or Squier necks won't fit, same goes for many aftermarket necks from other companies. So you've either got to go for a Warmoth neck or use the neck from a Fender American Standard (but why would you take apart a Am Standard Fender for this?).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
You can't even use 'any' Fender neck either, as the bolt positions do change slightly from model to model. The Warmoth pocket is made to the same spec as the American Fender Standards. Fender necks from Mexico, Japan or Squier necks won't fit, same goes for many aftermarket necks from other companies. So you've either got to go for a Warmoth neck or use the neck from a Fender American Standard (but why would you take apart a Am Standard Fender for this?).

Ok I just learned some new things today, thanks dude just an off-topic question, what does either of you know about the cleans on the X2N DiMarzio pup? I don't expect a great clean but what does anybody know?
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
Quote by RiksRiks
Ok I just learned some new things today, thanks dude just an off-topic question, what does either of you know about the cleans on the X2N DiMarzio pup? I don't expect a great clean but what does anybody know?

The cleans... well... its subjective... the X2N works well in some guitar bodies... and terribly in others. Its not a bad pickup, its just not the greatest as its pretty much a one trick pony.

I guess most people will describe the cleans as sterile. Also I find that on tube amps, you can hear some overdrive creeping into your cleans.

Its a very bright pup... doesn't work well in an alder body with ebony fretboard honestly. Works decently in an Ibanez Rg, but there are better pups out there. Unless you want the Chuck S buzzsaw tone, then its pretty much spot on.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
The cleans... well... its subjective... the X2N works well in some guitar bodies... and terribly in others. Its not a bad pickup, its just not the greatest as its pretty much a one trick pony.

I guess most people will describe the cleans as sterile. Also I find that on tube amps, you can hear some overdrive creeping into your cleans.

Its a very bright pup... doesn't work well in an alder body with ebony fretboard honestly. Works decently in an Ibanez Rg, but there are better pups out there. Unless you want the Chuck S buzzsaw tone, then its pretty much spot on.

I was about to use it in a mahogany body with ebony fretboard, with a tone zone in the neck which I dunno about the cleans neither, about a days ago I just found that this is the same pup configuration that Michael Romeo uses...anyways I don't even know what amp does he uses so that has actually not much to do xD
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
Quote by Pac_man0123
What kind of tone do you want?

Well I'm looking for something with decent cleans and not a lot of treble, I'll play mainly thrash and heavy metal but also would like a kinda bluesy tone (not has to be perfect nor very very good), as I've said times before I'll upgrade to a B52 AT-112 because I'm a bedroom player that gives small small gigs so don't need anything expensive...
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
Quote by RiksRiks
I was about to use it in a mahogany body with ebony fretboard, with a tone zone in the neck which I dunno about the cleans neither, about a days ago I just found that this is the same pup configuration that Michael Romeo uses...anyways I don't even know what amp does he uses so that has actually not much to do xD

Remember that Romeo's guitar is tweaked nicely to work with the X2N.

For a darker body like mahogany, the X2N might work, but honestly its quite unpredictable. If you want to go with that pup, be prepared to shell out money again or take the pup out for an exchange.

You may or may not get a muddy tone with mahogany, or the body could temper the pup, but it may sound a little harsh with the ebony fretboard. Also, my experience with the X2N is that its similar to EMGs in that it robs the guitar tonewoods of their natural signature tones, so in some instances, it makes one guitar sound like another.

For thrash or heavy metal you could always get other pups like the D Sonic (John P of DT), the Super 3 or one of the DiMarzio PAFs or D Activators... the X2N will not do da bloos very well.

I'd say give the X2N a try if you can get a pup exchange from DiMarzio, or are willing to shell out extra.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by RiksRiks
Well I'm looking for something with decent cleans and not a lot of treble, I'll play mainly thrash and heavy metal but also would like a kinda bluesy tone (not has to be perfect nor very very good), as I've said times before I'll upgrade to a B52 AT-112 because I'm a bedroom player that gives small small gigs so don't need anything expensive...

You might try a Tone Zone or as ragingkitty suggested a Super 3. DiMarzio's website has a nifty little application thingy called the "Pickup Picker" where you put in info about your guitar and what tone you want and it gives you the top 3 suggestions.
Quote by ragingkitty
Remember that Romeo's guitar is tweaked nicely to work with the X2N.

For a darker body like mahogany, the X2N might work, but honestly its quite unpredictable. If you want to go with that pup, be prepared to shell out money again or take the pup out for an exchange.

You may or may not get a muddy tone with mahogany, or the body could temper the pup, but it may sound a little harsh with the ebony fretboard. Also, my experience with the X2N is that its similar to EMGs in that it robs the guitar tonewoods of their natural signature tones, so in some instances, it makes one guitar sound like another.

For thrash or heavy metal you could always get other pups like the D Sonic (John P of DT), the Super 3 or one of the DiMarzio PAFs or D Activators... the X2N will not do da bloos very well.

I'd say give the X2N a try if you can get a pup exchange from DiMarzio, or are willing to shell out extra.

Well thanks, now that you've suggested if you think that it would be safer to go with either D-Sonic or Super 3 I would go with D-Sonic but what about the neck pup? Tone Zone is right or should I try to look for something else? (BTW I prefer to stay with the ones I buy, because since I live outside the US it may be more complicated to get a pup exchange)

EDIT:
Quote by Pac_man0123
You might try a Tone Zone or as ragingkitty suggested a Super 3. DiMarzio's website has a nifty little application thingy called the "Pickup Picker" where you put in info about your guitar and what tone you want and it gives you the top 3 suggestions.

Let me try it, I'm looking for it right now

EDIT 2: Apparently the PAF of Satriani is calling me for the neck, now I don't know about the bridge, it could be Super 3, X2N, Tone Zone or D-Sonic (which I like the most) but the mahogany could ruin the tone of the D-Sonic? ?
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
Last edited by RiksRiks at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by RiksRiks
Well thanks, now that you've suggested if you think that it would be safer to go with either D-Sonic or Super 3 I would go with D-Sonic but what about the neck pup? Tone Zone is right or should I try to look for something else? (BTW I prefer to stay with the ones I buy, because since I live outside the US it may be more complicated to get a pup exchange)

EDIT:

Let me try it, I'm looking for it right now

Where are you staying? Canada?

Like PacMan suggested, try the pup selector on DiMarzio's site, that application is useful. However, I find that its quiet predictable in the sense that you sorta know what its gonna suggest. I personally didn't find it that great... but its a decent starting point.

The D Sonic has a very very very unique tone. I can't describe it. The mids are prominent and it sorta blends with the highs and lows. It doesn't make it muddy. The best way to describe it is that a lot of pups are distinct between the bass, mids and highs, probably because you can sorta tell where there are "spaces" that separate them. The D Sonic doesn't have those spaces, so it sounds very full, but the character of the D Sonic makes its tone stand out prominently.

The D Sonic is very distinct, and I guess that the EQ of the pup can be described as smooth. Its very up front, and if you use it for leads, the audience will immediately know its you playing. It really brings you right into the limelight. Also if you are good at using your volume and tone controls effectively, you can use it for both rhythm and leads very well.

The D Sonic has a very unique tone that doesn't suit everyone, and sounds unique.

Personally, you want something smooth with good harmonic overtones to match the D Sonic. I paired it with the Evolution neck, very smooth and nice, and it pairs well with the D Sonic for a smooth rhythm sound.

You could use Breed for good crunch in the neck, while the Tone Zone could be a good match in terms out of a thump for thrash and metal.

If you want to consider rounder, lower gain outputs, I think that the Air Norton, Air Zone, Fred and PAF Pro would give you the nice bluesy sound. On the other hand the PAF Joe sounds smooth and nice.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
Where are you staying? Canada?

Like PacMan suggested, try the pup selector on DiMarzio's site, that application is useful. However, I find that its quiet predictable in the sense that you sorta know what its gonna suggest. I personally didn't find it that great... but its a decent starting point.

The D Sonic has a very very very unique tone. I can't describe it. The mids are prominent and it sorta blends with the highs and lows. It doesn't make it muddy. The best way to describe it is that a lot of pups are distinct between the bass, mids and highs, probably because you can sorta tell where there are "spaces" that separate them. The D Sonic doesn't have those spaces, so it sounds very full, but the character of the D Sonic makes its tone stand out prominently.

The D Sonic is very distinct, and I guess that the EQ of the pup can be described as smooth. Its very up front, and if you use it for leads, the audience will immediately know its you playing. It really brings you right into the limelight. Also if you are good at using your volume and tone controls effectively, you can use it for both rhythm and leads very well.

The D Sonic has a very unique tone that doesn't suit everyone, and sounds unique.

Personally, you want something smooth with good harmonic overtones to match the D Sonic. I paired it with the Evolution neck, very smooth and nice, and it pairs well with the D Sonic for a smooth rhythm sound.

You could use Breed for good crunch in the neck, while the Tone Zone could be a good match in terms out of a thump for thrash and metal.

If you want to consider rounder, lower gain outputs, I think that the Air Norton, Air Zone, Fred and PAF Pro would give you the nice bluesy sound. On the other hand the PAF Joe sounds smooth and nice.

I live down the US in the northern part of Mexico, so I've already fell in love with the tone of the D-Sonic, just as plain and simple as that, I just don't want that the mahogany changes the tone a lot, my possible configuration could be D-Sonic in the Bridge and PAF Joe in the neck, even though is not made for thrash or heavy, finally is my tone and my guitar, and is what I feel that would make me happy but anyways what do you think about this?
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
Quote by RiksRiks
I live down the US in the northern part of Mexico, so I've already fell in love with the tone of the D-Sonic, just as plain and simple as that, I just don't want that the mahogany changes the tone a lot, my possible configuration could be D-Sonic in the Bridge and PAF Joe in the neck, even though is not made for thrash or heavy, finally is my tone and my guitar, and is what I feel that would make me happy but anyways what do you think about this?

What do I think of you taking my advice? Good I suppose. I don't know what else to say.

I think its a reasonably versatile 'bucker combination. However, I recommend you try to find guitars with the D Sonic in the bridge and guitars with PAF Joes in the neck to try the possible tones. However, I think the combo'll do well for filling in the rhythm playing a good lead tone from the D Sonic.

One other thing too. Just because the pups aren't geared towards the br00talz doesn't mean it won't do it well. All you need to do is dial up your gain and you'll have the br00talz.

Yeah, get the sound you like, not what others think to be good.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
What do I think of you taking my advice? Good I suppose. I don't know what else to say.

I think its a reasonably versatile 'bucker combination. However, I recommend you try to find guitars with the D Sonic in the bridge and guitars with PAF Joes in the neck to try the possible tones. However, I think the combo'll do well for filling in the rhythm playing a good lead tone from the D Sonic.

One other thing too. Just because the pups aren't geared towards the br00talz doesn't mean it won't do it well. All you need to do is dial up your gain and you'll have the br00talz.

Yeah, get the sound you like, not what others think to be good.

I think all that's left is to try them and to wait about half a year to end (and start) my assemble, so thanks for your help guys !
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
Hmm... I'm kinda suprised nobody has mentioned a Super Distortion yet
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by steven seagull
This is where I got my bits from.
http://www.kamnguitars.com/

I normally think Iceman's are ass-ugly, but that thing is gorgeous, bro!
My Gear
Marshall MG10 + Digitech RP350 multi-fx
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
Quote by RiksRiks
Do you know if the can ship internationally?

Well I'm in the UK and they're in the US so yes

On the subject of pickups I have a pair of Breeds in mine, if you have a moderately high gain tube amp they sound like this...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7157498&postcount=201
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com