So i was considering going on an amp building course sometime, to learn a bit about amps as well as for fun and hopefully to end up with a decent amp.

How difficult are they? Being honest ive never really soldered much in the past so what basic skills are required? Finally if i learn a bit and end up making my own amp sometime, how much cheaper would it be to say build a Mesa style amp as opposed to buying one?
you'd better start off with some pedal building/modding and lots of research first..

a tube amp definitely isn't something to just jump into with little knowledge and experience.. theres lots of things that could go wrong, including things that could be harmful to you.
You're basically starting from scratch, so it's gonna be a nightmare.

It'll cost alot more to build a mesa than buy one, plus you got copyrights and shiz to deal with. Big amps like that are just too complex, even for experienced builders. Don't hesitate to use the search link as well.
Quote by FrogSoup21
So i was considering going on an amp building course sometime, to learn a bit about amps as well as for fun and hopefully to end up with a decent amp.

How difficult are they? Being honest ive never really soldered much in the past so what basic skills are required? Finally if i learn a bit and end up making my own amp sometime, how much cheaper would it be to say build a Mesa style amp as opposed to buying one?

As an fledglinig amp builder, if your goal is just to build yourself an amp one day, it will end up costing you a lot more than the likes of a new Mesa. This will be spent on books, tools and test equipment, learning with smaller pedal projects, some amp modding and the inevitable mistakes along the way. The parts just to build the amp will cost nearly as much as the production amp. The production amp also comes with a warranty if something goes wrong.
That's just the financial cost.
It will also consume a huge amount of time. If you are dedicated then you may learn all the necessary skills within about two years. I built my first amp successfully after 18 months but I was studying/researching/practising 5 days a week for about 2 hours a day beforehand, gave up drinking completely to do it.
You might get away with building a kit amp quicker by just following the instructions but you'll still need all the skills to ensure that it actually functions properly.
Last edited by PaoloJM at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by FrogSoup21

How difficult are they? Being honest ive never really soldered much in the past so what basic skills are required?
Metalworking, cabinetry, soldering, electronic design and layout, component research and purchasing. And lastly, soldering.

Quote by FrogSoup21
Finally if i learn a bit and end up making my own amp sometime, how much cheaper would it be to say build a Mesa style amp as opposed to buying one?
It will cost more to build than buy. You don't have the purchasing power of a large company. You'll pay more for the same parts than they do.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.