OK, I'm sure someone here remembers me asking which kinds of amps would be best for a hard rock genre. I've decided to go with either a Mesa Boogie or a Marshall. I've had a bit of experience with both brands, and i am still torn.

My biggest question would probably be, which amp would be good for both small gigs and bedroom playing? Would 50 watts be enough for gigs? If it were used with a PA system would it be sufficient?

As far as Marshall goes, i was looking at either the JCM 2000, JCM800 or JCM 900.

I'm not quite sure about mesa though, i played one at guitar center (cant remember which one) and i liked it, but I'm mainly going off what people here are telling me?

Any suggestions?
I would go for the JCM800. I've been GASing for one for a longass time. :P
have you tried orange amps by any chance? if not try out the rockerverb series, i have a 30 and its perfect, unless you're gonna be playing to a LOT of ppl 30 is plenty i find, i rarely crank that thing all the way up so 50 would be more than enough

not a marshall fan myself but if you're dead set on either a marshall or a mesa just try out a few heads you like until you find the one that just nails it for you
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
Quote by O00Coolzero00O
How about a 5150 =D
How about no. =D

What exactly do you mean by Hard Rock? If you want a Guns 'n Roses/Motley Crue type sound, a JCM800 is right up your ally. For Van Halen, he used a Plexi so you could look for some clones.

Please specify exactly what tones your looking for.

EDIT:
Quote by OP
My biggest question would probably be, which amp would be good for both small gigs and bedroom playing? Would 50 watts be enough for gigs? If it were used with a PA system would it be sufficient?
The thing is, theres not a huge difference between the volume of a 50W amp and a 100W amp. Its really just headroom. A 10W amp is half the volume of a 100W amp.

My opinion: just buy an attenuator and you can crank it.
Last edited by The_Bosstone at Jul 6, 2009,
definitely not a 5150, i already asked about that lol.

I listen to alot of Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman, Shinedown, Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed, Metallica, Motley Crue, a LITTLE Guns n Roses, Velvet Revolver. Those kinds of bands.
Blackheart Hot Head
Peavey classic 50
Peavey VTM
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Knightmare444

Metallica, Motley Crue, a LITTLE Guns n Roses

JCM800.
i thinking the 800? thats still crazy loud though..
Quote by MrChief
tbh i wanted to watch 2 girls one cup , and the website i clicked on was totally corrupt.

and the video was sick.

Current gear:
Slash Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Hiwatt G50R
BOSS ME-50
Quote by The_Bosstone
How about no. =D

Somebody had to do it.

I second a JCM800, PERFECT for that 80s glam rock or whatever you want to call it. Half those guys USED JCM800s themselves!
What about the modern stuff though? I listen to way more ToaD than i do metallica. I usually listen to ToaD, BB and Nickelback etc. Foo Fighters too. Those 80s band are sometimes. Often, but not as much as the other stuff. Also, my band sounds more like ToaD and Nickelback and Disturbed than we do Metallica.
Quote by Knightmare444
What about the modern stuff though? I listen to way more ToaD than i do metallica. I usually listen to ToaD, BB and Nickelback etc. Foo Fighters too. Those 80s band are sometimes. Often, but not as much as the other stuff. Also, my band sounds more like ToaD and Nickelback and Disturbed than we do Metallica.

The thing is, for modern stuff I'd say JCM900 or even a Dual Rectifier (Foo used them for dirty tones for a while I think, now they use Roadsters IIRC).

JCM800 + OD pedal will handle it though. If there is any way to try any of them out, definitely take the opportunity, because our opinions mean nothing if you try some Vox and decide you like it better than any of the amps suggested! It's all about your opinion, your ear!
Yeah, problem is finding a place with all those amps. I did play a JCM800 at GC a few weeks ago, it was pretty nice. But i can't find anywhere local that have these amps in stock for me to try. So i've been watching alot of reviews and demos on youtube on some of these so i have an idea what they sound like.

As far as mesa goes, alot of the bands i listen to use them. Most of them use the Dual Rectifier. But thats expensive lol
800 + overdrive.

If you want heavier, modern tones, an OCD through an 800 sounds fantastic.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Knightmare444
Yeah, problem is finding a place with all those amps. I did play a JCM800 at GC a few weeks ago, it was pretty nice. But i can't find anywhere local that have these amps in stock for me to try. So i've been watching alot of reviews and demos on youtube on some of these so i have an idea what they sound like.

As far as mesa goes, alot of the bands i listen to use them. Most of them use the Dual Rectifier. But thats expensive lol

Haha, Dual Rec used isn't bad. I think they go for around 900? Someone verify that please...

Quote by bubb_tubbs
800 + overdrive.

If you want heavier, modern tones, an OCD through an 800 sounds fantastic.

LISTEN TO HIM! HE HAS THAT SETUP! HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT!

:cheers;
Quote by GNRjungle87
Haha, Dual Rec used isn't bad. I think they go for around 900? Someone verify that please...

a Dual is in the 1000-1200 range

and the Single is in the 800-900 range
feel free to add me
I'd recommend the Jcm2000 or the Jcm900 as they are more suited towards the more modern spectrum of things.The 2000 has more versitality I believe than the 900 so I would look at that one first. I would also recommend looking at some different amp brands...
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
Quote by Knightmare444
So an 800 + an OD pedal?

yes but if you want to go cheaper look at the Laney AOR or the Peavey VTM 120
feel free to add me
Quote by Knightmare444

Oh my, no... don't get a GC 800.

Get a used, early 80s 800 with vertical inputs if you can find it. It shouldn't run you over $1000, it'll have far better quality components than the new ones, and it's built sturdier.

Just make sure you thoroughly check out the transformers and play it for at least an hour before purchasing so you can see if there's any weirdness to it - scratchy pots, a tendency to blow fuses, etc.

But, if it has those problems, buy it anyways! Just talk the guy down in price.

I managed to get $80 off the price of my own 800 just because it came from a studio that had heavy smoking in it. I threw old tubes in it when I got home, put the amp on standby for 2 hours and cooked all the smoke smell out of it. Has no odour left and I got it cheaper.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jul 6, 2009,
I don't know what your budget is, but I'd recommend you getting the JCM-800 2210 over the 2203 due to its larger versatility and more gain. Then again, if you can afford it, the Silver Jubilee 2223 has a 100/50/25W power mode that allows for more manageable volume levels and Slash used it on his touring in the '80s.

As for Mesa/Boogies, they are the king when it comes to versatility, especially the Triple Rectifier, which I would recommend if you think you want a M/B.

However, I think your best bet would be to see if you can score the Jubilee or the JCM-800 if you don't mind two channels or seek out the Triple Rectifier if you want more versatility.

EDIT: As for the volume levels of a JCM-800, they are so ****ing loud. I played a small gig recently in a barn and I couldn't take the master volume off of one. But, it's nice knowing that I have that much power.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Last edited by Weeping_Demon7 at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I don't know what your budget is, but I'd recommend you getting the JCM-800 2210 over the 2203 due to its larger versatility and more gain. Then again, if you can afford it, the Silver Jubilee 2223 has a 100/50/25W power mode that allows for more manageable volume levels and Slash used it on his touring in the '80s.

As for Mesa/Boogies, they are the king when it comes to versatility, especially the Triple Rectifier, which I would recommend if you think you want a M/B.

However, I think your best bet would be to see if you can score the Jubilee or the JCM-800 if you don't mind two channels or seek out the Triple Rectifier if you want more versatility.

I'm actually in the process of self-modding my 800 to have a clean channel by using a footswitchable relay to trigger a bypass of the High input (making it Low input without volume loss for cleans), cutting the bright circuit out and boosting the gain in various parts of the circuit.

Best of both worlds! 2 "channels" and the gain of the later 800s without diode clipping.

Pics/updates when I get it priced and parted out.

Also, AFAIK the Jub only has a half power switch, which means going pentode/triode will get you either 100W/50W or 50W/25W.

Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jul 6, 2009,
I heard some good things about the JCM2000 DSL as well? That comes in a 50w instead of only 100w, which is appealing. And its a bit cheaper as well. My local guitar center has one in stock, so whenever i get a chance to go down there...

Any opinions on the dsl?
Quote by Knightmare444
I heard some good things about the JCM2000 DSL as well? That comes in a 50w instead of only 100w, which is appealing. And its a bit cheaper as well. My local guitar center has one in stock, so whenever i get a chance to go down there...

Any opinions on the dsl?

If you get one, get the 50W head and try to find a used one. I've seen them for as low as $500 before.

They're all over ebay for about 500-800 USD. That's in my price range, and if they're any good, i may just jump on that
Quote by Knightmare444
They're all over ebay for about 500-800 USD. That's in my price range, and if they're any good, i may just jump on that

The crunch channel can a JCM 800-ish tone out of it.

I really liked the DSL. I think the problem is that people expect it to be a JCM 800 or Plexi, which it isn't, but the amp has so many of its own merits that are often overlooked.

I just watched 101+ reviews on both the DSL and TSL on youtube, and it sounds pretty good to me. Sounds right up my alley i think, maybe i'll go to GC tomorrow and test one out...
Quote by Knightmare444
I just watched 101+ reviews on both the DSL and TSL on youtube, and it sounds pretty good to me. Sounds right up my alley i think, maybe i'll go to GC tomorrow and test one out...

I lean towards the DSL 50, of those two.

The third channel on the TSL isn't terribly amazing and doesn't warrant the price increase, IMO.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
I'm actually in the process of self-modding my 800 to have a clean channel by using a footswitchable relay to trigger a bypass of the High input (making it Low input without volume loss for cleans), cutting the bright circuit out and boosting the gain in various parts of the circuit.

Best of both worlds! 2 "channels" and the gain of the later 800s without diode clipping.

Pics/updates when I get it priced and parted out.

Also, AFAIK the Jub only has a half power switch, which means going pentode/triode will get you either 100W/50W or 50W/25W.

You and you're 2203

Each man to his own I s'pose. I also don't think that the TS is in the mood to start modding his amp.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society