I have been experimenting lately, and I've found that I play and sound much better in the standard acoustic/electric guitar position (resting on my right leg, no footstool) as opposed to the orthodox method. I see my teacher play like this, and he seems to play perfectly fine, sounds fine and everything, while when I play in the orthodox method that he taught me, I find barre chords, finger stretches, and just playing things in general becomes noticeably more difficult. Should I ask my teacher next week if this is okay?
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

For classical that's the way its done So you can reach the higher frets easier. Try holding it at a different angle, depending on what I'm playing i move it around. But always ask your teacher no matter how off the question that's that he is their for!
The problem is that I find it harder to reach the lower frets, and I have to use much more pressure to use the lower 5 frets, and barre chords are a pain.
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

ah, i see. I had that problem to. You just have to get used to it and work on it to get your hand stronger. The best piece I find that helps with this is etude no.1 by villa lobos. Its a tough one to keep going and it helps with arpeggios as well but it works.
Quote by whocares09
Playing in the classical position helps prevent injury to your hands, it also helps you relax when you play.
Always ask your teacher first.

This. Thats interesting, I find barre chords easier in classical position because it take much less actual pressing. Gravity helps or guides you.
As a general rule: Be comfortable. The "classical position" has it's advantages, and most likely it's just a matter of getting used to it, but I find that often when practising for a long time at home it's far more comfortable to simply rest the guitar on my right leg.

As far as hand injuries go, you don't get them from any specific playing position or from failing to adopt one; you get them from straining your fingers or failing to relax your wrists for extended periods. Whenever you feel bad strain or any pain in fingers or wrists you should always stop playing and relax your hand, if that doesn't help, take a break.

Since you have a teacher, ask him/her and try to figure out whether it's a matter of not being used to it (anything new can feel weird and uncomfortable) or if you're going wrong somewhere. Adjusting the foot support to be as comfortable as possible (pay attention to your whole body, are you feeling strain in your back or neck, for example?) and making sure your left arm and wrist are finding comfortable positions while fretting chords are very important.

I want to stress that there's nothing immediately wrong with not sitting in a classical pose. Many classical guitarists will practice in a "normal" positon at home and adopt the "proper" classical position when playing to an audience, simply for the sake of looks. Look at flamenco guitarists, who use very similar techniques, but still manage without the classical position