Lol, since I'm a feedback maniac, I came up with the idea of putting an EMG preamp in my guitar, and adding another pot strictly for the preamp. It'll have a switch which turns the preamp on and off as well, so I can use it only when I need it. When I turn the "gain" knob up on it, the gain (yes, gain) on the preamp increases, forcibly causing feedback at any location, which is a plus for me.

Killswitch, well that's just a killswitch. :P Turns the guitar "off" more or less, so no sound can get through. I'll probably be using this for solo's, and stuff. But it's going to be one with a pickup selector-type of switch, except smaller. When it's in the "down position", the volume will be on, when I flip it up, it'll turn off.

The independent volume knobs will be, well independent. As in, turning one volume knob down won't affect the other pickup at all. More freedom for me. I'm not 100% sure if I should go through with this idea though... what do you think?

All in all, it's gonna cost about $100 for these modifications.

Anyone know any good preamps that will work well in the interior of a guitar? A good one too. Something with controllable gain, etc..

All in all, when the modifications are done, there will be the following:

5 knobs, as opposed to 4. 5th knob is gain control.
2 killswitches. One for the actual overall guitar signal, and one for the preamp, but I'm not sure if that'll kill the signal overall. What do you guys think?

Opinions, please!
If you feel up to it, you could alvays build your own preamp. I just put a LPB-1 style boost in one of my guitars, and it was much easier to do than I thought it would be.
Its also much cheaper to build your own
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by PowerPopGuy
Anyone know any good preamps that will work well in the interior of a guitar? A good one too. Something with controllable gain, etc..

http://www.emginc.com/products/index/69

Quote by PowerPopGuy
Killswitch, well that's just a killswitch. :P Turns the guitar "off" more or less, so no sound can get through. I'll probably be using this for solo's, and stuff. But it's going to be one with a pickup selector-type of switch, except smaller. When it's in the "down position", the volume will be on, when I flip it up, it'll turn off.
yeah, that's pretty common. mini-toggle to short the output for kill.
Quote by PowerPopGuy
2 killswitches. One for the actual overall guitar signal, and one for the preamp, but I'm not sure if that'll kill the signal overall.
erm, no?
One for shorting the output is all you need.
Your preamp will have a push-pull for the boost built into the gain knob.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
http://www.emginc.com/products/index/69

yeah, that's pretty common. mini-toggle to short the output for kill.
erm, no?
One for shorting the output is all you need.
Your preamp will have a push-pull for the boost built into the gain knob.

Push-pull? I can't just turn it? :P What I mean by that is that I usually turn my volume knob around to control the feedback the way I want it, as a way to keep it kinda keep it going in the background. I just feel more comfortable with being able to turn it.

And the reason why I would prefer a second switch is because a lot of the time, I have to quickly stop something, and start playing again, so it'll be a bit of work to turn the knob quickly, and start playing again. So that's kinda why I decided to try and go with the toggle switch.
Last edited by PowerPopGuy at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by PowerPopGuy
Push-pull? I can't just turn it? :P
lol, the push-pull part of it is the switch. turning the knob is the gain control.

Quote by PowerPopGuy
And the reason why I would prefer a second switch is because a lot of the time, I have to quickly stop something, and start playing again, so it'll be a bit of work to turn the knob quickly, and start playing again. So that's kinda why I decided to try and go with the toggle switch.
Then you'll want a different preamp than the AfterBurner. The switching is incorporated right on the board.

Find a different preamp that just has a gain control and wire in a DPDT minitoggle to bypass the preamp when you don't want it on.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
lol, the push-pull part of it is the switch. turning the knob is the gain control.

Then you'll want a different preamp than the AfterBurner. The switching is incorporated right on the board.

Find a different preamp that just has a gain control and wire in a DPDT minitoggle to bypass the preamp when you don't want it on.

Haha, I'm hiring someone to do this for me, because I'm kinda too dumb to figure it out, but I'm interested in learning how, you know? Any idea as to where I can start as far as circuitry is concerned?

And yeah, the second suggestion is basically what I'm aiming for.
If you want to learn, I'd suggest reading through first page of the Ultimate Guitar Wiring thread a few times for starters. Just skip anything that sounds boring and come back to it later.

Take the pickguard off your guitar and just check out the guts. Try and pick out what every individual component does, and why its wired the way it is. Then, try taking it all apart and putting it back together again.

Just hang around here and read up on all the electronics threads. Even if you don't understand it at first, just keep reading and eventually you'll start to get the picture.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Google is your friend. Type in "onboard guitar preamp"
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411