I been noodling around with this thing for a little over a month now. I got an EQ to boost my gain a little and give it a little more edge. Anyway, I originally thought something was wrong with my EQ because the volume seemed to "swell" when the EQ was engaged. Well, now I am realizing that the amp does this all the time. I think my EQ was just boosting the signal and I could hear it clearer.

So whats causing it to swell? Tubes?

By swell I mean, it will be fine then it sorta drops way off in sound. Not to the point of not hearing it at all, but real low. Similar to a bass almost.

Need some input please...
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." -- Barack Obama

''Life's tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne
*cough*

*Sigh*

Is it possible this problem is coming from my cab?

I dont know. Never experienced this before and apparently no one else has any idea either.

mkay, it's dsp?

means it goes solid state for it's effects, do you have the effects enganged?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Volume swells sound like a tube issue. Tap on the preamp tubes with the eraser of a pencil while the amp is on and if you head a jingle they are bad, and if the power tubes are glowing an odd color, that is your sign for them going.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by R.D
mkay, it's dsp?

means it goes solid state for it's effects, do you have the effects enganged?

Nope. This is just straight through the output/input jack on the front of the amp.

Quote by LaidBack
Volume swells sound like a tube issue. Tap on the preamp tubes with the eraser of a pencil while the amp is on and if you head a jingle they are bad, and if the power tubes are glowing an odd color, that is your sign for them going.

I can see all the tubes in the amp since it has a mesh-like cover over the front and back. The power tubes appear to be fine, looking at them. The preamp tubes have some kind of metal enclosure around them to protect them I assume.
I had someone on HC suggest unplugging, and re-inserting the tubes one by one.
Perhaps this was the same line of thinking you mentioned?

Quote by LaidBack
and if the power tubes are glowing an odd color, that is your sign for them going.

The rest of your post was good, but this was just

If they are red, then there is most certainly an issue but that's called redplating.

A blue glow is actually quite natural for power tubes. It just means there is a little gas in them, but really, this doesn't mean they are dying.
Quote by Silenced7
If they are red, then there is most certainly an issue but that's called redplating.

A blue glow is actually quite natural for power tubes. It just means there is a little gas in them, but really, this doesn't mean they are dying.

Different tubes glow different colors. They do not all glow the same color to my understanding.

Well, I am thoroughly convinced the problem is my tubes. I turned my amp on this afternoon and started playing at a low volume, well same story... volume fading in and out. I then cranked the amp to max to see if I could saturate the tubes a little more... it quit! Crystal clear, tubidy goodness! Nice punchy distortion, the onboard effects work... everything. I played for a few minutes... okay more like an hour. I cut the amp off for about 15 minutes and went back to it. Same thing, I started at low volume and it continued with the dreaded volume swells, or fading. I cranked the amp again, and again, it went away.
I am really leaning towards the tubes now. My thinking is at lower volumes it was not pushing the tubes enough to get a good clear response out of them. But cranked, it does?

What you think? Time for some replacements?

I posted the above on HC and was told by someone that they thought the actual problem was a power supply issue? I guess I can see that but man I dont want to think that.

Still not fixed.