EDIT: This is an old thread, I know, but I didn't want to create yet another thread. Read my post at the end of the page.

Hello UGers!

I've decided it's time for me to pick up a brand new guitar! I'm looking for a guitar around the price of $600 or less. I play hardcore, post-hardcore and alternative as well as blues and classic rock, so my new guitar should be able to handle both high-gain and clean tones well. I've been playing for 2 1/2 years. My amp is a Vox AD15VT, which has served me well and I love a lot.

Some of the things I'm looking for...

Set-in neck
H-H configuration
Mahogany body/neck, rosewood fretboard
I don't need a FR or any kind of tremolo bar
Thru-body
Preferably passive pickups, but I'm still open for the possibility of active pickups (I've heard they aren't very versatile, which is exactly what I'd like)
Coil-tapping, if possible
I like double-cutaways more than single-cutaway bodies

(you don't have to stick to these guidelines, I'm open towards anything. If you can suggest a guitar with similar specs, go ahead)

I've been interested in various Schecter models, the C-1 Plus to be specific. I have also been interested in the ESP Eclipse/Horizon models.

Any help, suggestions and advice would appreciated. Thanks.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Last edited by cxrlxscr at Jul 28, 2009,
Idk, sounds like you're describing a Les Paul to me. Don't like the Epiphone Les Paul too much but sounds like it could work.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface
Idk, sounds like you're describing a Les Paul to me. Don't like the Epiphone Les Paul too much but sounds like it could work.

He has a point, you did describe a les paul. no, seriously. check it out.

LINK/ click here
Well, personally I own a Epiphone Les Paul Special II, which falls out of tune quite easily, it has faulty electronics, not to mention I have to adjust the action every so often. I've played various Epiphone Les Paul models from friends, and I didn't really like any of them. I'm just not a fan of Epiphone Les Paul's.

Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Last edited by cxrlxscr at Jul 6, 2009,
An LTD MH-401QMNT would probably be the best guitar for what you want. Active pick-ups are what you want if you want high-gain and hardcore stuff and it has the EMG 81/85 combo. It's between 600-700$. If not that then I would get an LTD MH-250QMNT which probably isn't as good as the first one, but it's much cheaper. Both guitars can be found here - http://espguitars.com/guitars_mhnt.html
"The deepest circle of hell is reserved for betrayers and mutiny." - PWD
So these are my options so far:

Schecter C-1 Plus http://www.zzounds.com/item--SCEC1PLUS

ESP LTD EC-401 VF http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC401VF-Electric-Guitar?sku=580200#new

Ibanez SZR720 http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SZR720-Electric-Guitar?sku=518117#new

OR

Ibanez SZR520 http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SZR520-Electric-Guitar?sku=518118#new

I'm really leaning towards the C-1 Plus, however the ESP has better pickups for a similar price. I'm not sure about the Ibanez's, has anyone had any experience with any of those two?

Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
I quite dig that guitar, it's very similar to the C-1 Plus but with better pickups. I'm not sure about the fretboard, I think I might miss the inlays. :P But it's definitely among my best options. I'm just a bit doubtful about the Custom Custom SH-11 pickup. Is it hot enough for high-gain (e.g. hardcore, metalcore)? Compared to the JB SH-4, is it any hotter?

Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Quote by cxrlxscr
Well, personally I own a Epiphone Les Paul Special II, which falls out of tune quite easily, it has faulty electronics, not to mention I have to adjust the action every so often. I've played various Epiphone Les Paul models from friends, and I didn't really like any of them. I'm just not a fan of Epiphone Les Paul's.

Sounds like your guitar is the problem. I have the special pack II, and the only problem I've ever had was the pick up pot's grounding wire coming off the output. quick fix though, just a solder or two to fix it up.

However, I recommend Schecter, as a lobbyist for Schecter Guitar Research

Get something like the Blackjack ATX.

That thing is a MONSTER.
Quote by Pac_man0123
C-1 Classic is right up your alley. You can find one used for less than 600.

You, my friend are my hero.
I don't have much knowledge about woods to be honest with you, I don't know what could be the difference between ebony and rosewood in terms of tone. I like that Michael Kelly, it reminds me a lot of a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser. I've heard MK guitars are VERY hard to find though. By the way, I have never heard of Rockfield pickups, perhaps you have some experience with them? Are they any good?

Thanks for the suggestions Pac_man0123 and Gh057. I've always been a bit of a Schecter fanboy myself. :P I'm attracted more towards the C-1 Classic than the Blackjack ATX. I might check out if I can find a used one in eBay.

Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay