You looking for more melodic blues or something more raunchy?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

if you go in deep with the slide, your gonna have to raise your action on your guitar.
Some twine, lighter fluid, an old beer bottle and a bucket of ice water. That's how I get my slides. I find that works really good if you want a glass slide.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument
Some twine, lighter fluid, an old beer bottle and a bucket of ice water. That's how I get my slides. I find that works really good if you want a glass slide.

Explain please.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by willwelsh816
if you go in deep with the slide, your gonna have to raise your action on your guitar.

Yes and no.

Does raising action make it easier to play slide? Yes.

Is it necessary if you play a lot of slide? No.

Quote by pak1351

Bought two of those, never use them, walls are too thin.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Explain please.

Soak twine in lighter fluid
Tie around bottle neck
Light string on fire
When fire is out, dip the bottle in the water.
It is necessary if you have a gibson(or gibson style guitar) because they generally have extremely low action(still without buzzing ) and that makes it harder to play on slide(especially with heavier ceramic slides.) If you go to where you play alot of slide stuff, you might want to get another guitar, or set up your previous guitar for slide. For beginners, you'd want to have your guitar set up perfectly for the slide. The best thing about slide playing is that you don't have to worry about bad frett jobs.

It's always best to start from the bottom to the top. Try listening to some good slide tunes in Open G-(lowest to highest) DGDGBD
Some good examples would be from Muddy Water's earlier songs, like "I Can't be Satisfied" or "Rollin' and Tumblin'." There are also good starter songs from EC's Unplugged Album. "Walkin' Blues" is a very good starter song. Don't try any Duane Allman stuff until your sure you want to play slide, because many of his best tunes are in Open E, which causes stress to the neck.
Quote by imgooley
Soak twine in lighter fluid
Tie around bottle neck
Light string on fire
When fire is out, dip the bottle in the water.

Huh. I have some old coke bottle lying around, and tones of lighter fluid....

Damnit goolz. Now I have to go play with fire again.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by willwelsh816
Don't try any Duane Allman stuff until your sure you want to play slide, because many of his best tunes are in Open E, which causes stress to the neck.

Couldn't you just cheat and capo in open G or open D?
I got a dunlop thick glass slide that has nice sustain on acoustic but sounds abit bad on electric guitar. I use the slide my dad gave me which is the end of a copper pipe cut off for electric guitar because i prefer the sound of that one.

edit: of course a really good way would be to get a bottleneck or something but when i tried i was a nub and the bottle smashed entirely

I found that using a big thick shots glass worked pretty well though before i got any slides.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jul 8, 2009,
yeah dunlop makes good slides, and they make them in a varieties so if you dont like brass or glass you can change your mind
DBZ Barchetta Eminent FR
DBZ Bolero ST
DBZ Imperial FM
DBZ Venom Matte Black
Dean '79 V
Dean '79 ML
Fender Princeton Chorus
Behringer V-Tone 2/12
Asterope Cables
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Hardware Metal Distortion
Quote by Sir Anonymous
Couldn't you just cheat and capo in open G or open D?

That's not how Duane did it.

No Pain, No Duane.

On Topic:

As I said, Muddy Waters is great for introducing good, acoustic, slide playing.