So I suckered my husband into buying me a guitar for my birthday. Being the royal spaz that I am, I've already jacked it up, I think. So here's my question. My guitar has an auto tuner on it, and yesterday I was trying to get my 6th string (thickest) to be in tune. I tightened it too tightly and it made a loud popping noise. The bridge pin is now sticking up higher than the rest and the string is hopelessly out of tune. So what do I do other than go to where I got it and have them tell me I'm an idiot?
Is this an acoustic guitar or an electric? If its an electric, what kind of bridge is it, or is it a tremelo?
Quote by Vypor
Is this an acoustic guitar or an electric? If its an electric, what kind of bridge is it, or is it a tremelo?

if it has a tuner and bridge pins its obviously an acoustic

lossen the strin push the pin back and re-tune.
Unless of course its a les paul robot.

But yeah, if it is indeed acoustic, loosen the string and then push that pin directly back down into the guitar with a quarter or somthing, and tune agian.
Quote by Vypor
Unless of course its a les paul robot.

But yeah, if it is indeed acoustic, loosen the string and then push that pin directly back down into the guitar with a quarter or somthing, and tune agian.

the les paul robot has pins?
Quote by Vypor

Bridge pins=acoustic..and technically, it should be called a Vibrato arm...tremolo indicates it changes volume, as in a tremolo pedal..but it changes the pitch, as in a vibrato, so it should be called a vibrato arm..but to get back on topic, push the pin back in and tune up
Thats why I asked what kind of bridge the guitar had, and if It had a tremolo. Edge pro tremolos and Floyd Rose tremolos have pins, and rarely, but surely do break.
Quote by darkwolf291
but it has a TUNER...indicating an onboard preamp...indicating an acoustic

+1

same thing i said
it's a washburn acoustic but it has an electric pick up. Mind you I've never played guitar before, nor has he. So I'm going to sound incredibly stupid here--I'm going to turn the tuning knob--I know it's not the right terminology--the opposite way and just push the pin back in-correct?
Quote by bbroeker
it's a washburn acoustic but it has an electric pick up. Mind you I've never played guitar before, nor has he. So I'm going to sound incredibly stupid here--I'm going to turn the tuning knob--I know it's not the right terminology--the opposite way and just push the pin back in-correct?

yes

eadgbe
I will try this tomorrow--all is quiet in the house but my curiousity. So did this hurt the guitar--know that it's not probably the best thing to do. How indestructible is a guitar (when proper care is taken?) I'm a pretty big clutz.
dont throw it (to far) and itl be fine. just try not to hit it against anything to hard. and dont keep it anyplace where you wouldnt stay(like in a hot car for hours).

http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/CareAndFeeding.htm
follow those ^ tips and your acoustic should be great for years to come
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
sounds good-appreciate the help--hopefully there won't be a follow up help me post and I can get back to my Twinkle twinkle and ode to joy! Woo hoo! Gotta start somewhere, right?