I was planning on taking some guitar lessons and it costs 100 dollars a month. Is this too expensive or a good deal?

Sorry if I'm in wrong thread, didn't really know what this could go under.
well the going rate is $40 an hour, so depends on how often you get em
Quote by LesPaulHer0
"in the grand scheme of things, nobody cares"

Gear:
Dean 10K Commemorative Razorback
Ibanez RG 3EX1
BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Fender Acoustic
Marshall MG250DFX
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Full Chorus
Depends on who your teacher is, how many times a month you take lessons and how long your lessons are.
It's for 30 minutes, once a week. He says he has been playing for 25 years and he can teach me anything and everything I would like to know.
How many lessons a month?
How much per lesson?
How good is the instructor?

edit Going by what you said above, I personally think that's a bit too pricey. It's up to you though in the long run- if you think its worth it and you have the cash to piss away then go for it.

no.
Last edited by braineater. at Jul 6, 2009,
Quote by xxblazinaznxx
It's for 30 minutes, once a week. He says he has been playing for 25 years and he can teach me anything and everything I would like to know.

Seems a little steep to me. But it could be worse. Just make sure you get your money's worth from this guy.
that's a bit pricey for once a week lessons
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
i take lessons for 75$ per month
one lesson, each week.

30 minutes

my teacher's pretty awesome, and he has PERFECT PITCH( as in he can tab out like, any song by ear.)
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX
^
shanchett, you get an E for Effort

Quote by CodChick

ROFLLOBSTER
I give lessons for about 18 bucks, but I do it "illegal" as in no tax, and it's not to supply a family.

It's a bit to pricey though, taxes or not.

Especially if you're a beginner, you can get a lot of the stuff you learn for much less from pretty much any decent guitar teacher.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 7, 2009,
You could get cheaper lessons, but those prices aren't unreasonable - especially if you compare them to what you'd play per hour for a plumber or a mechanic. Whether its a good deal or not depends on how good the teacher is.

As Darren said, you could probably learn as much as a beginner from a cheaper teacher - and they may be as good as this guy. But in my experience a really good teacehr is hard to find - if you do decide to go elsewhere I'd hang on to his details for future reference.
Quote by zhilla
You could get cheaper lessons, but those prices aren't unreasonable - especially if you compare them to what you'd play per hour for a plumber or a mechanic. Whether its a good deal or not depends on how good the teacher is.

As Darren said, you could probably learn as much as a beginner from a cheaper teacher - and they may be as good as this guy. But in my experience a really good teacehr is hard to find - if you do decide to go elsewhere I'd hang on to his details for future reference.

Yup yup, I mean, the teacher may be able to play melodic minor runs and know his tritone subs and Altered chords, but if you can't play major and minor chords, you pretty much pay for something you wont' learn until a year or so later.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 7, 2009,
Yeah, you definetly need the basics first. Teach yourself for a year or so and then get lessons with him
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I know I took lessons from a guy and they were $15 a lesson once a week. I quit lessons within a year. I agree with turtlewax...learn the basics first then get lessons. All of that beginner book bull**** is boring...but then again you have to start somewhere. Or you could be like me and teach yourself.
is there really any need to take lessons? i mean is there amything you can't learn with dvds and the internet?
Quote by eddievanzant
is there really any need to take lessons? i mean is there amything you can't learn with dvds and the internet?

I've seen loads of people learning themselves, and thinking it was perfect, but many of them had minor mistakes they never noticed.

Not only that, a teacher can help you in developing ur style, by showing different possibilities for playing for example a riff or lick.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I paid $25.00 per 30 min session. So $100.00 a month isn't that bad, especially in months with more than 4 weeks in them.
Quote by eddievanzant
I know I would have learnt a whole lot slower without a teacher - he knows from experience what I'm ready for and how far he can push me. Its a lot quicker, more efficient and less stressful than trying to reinvent the wheel and teach myself would be, and he can point out any errors in my technique - or just different ways of doing things - before I get stuck on one way of doing things. All I have to do is practice and have fun. Its also good to just get some feedback on a regular basis from someone who knows what they are talking about. Plus I automatically get someone awesome to jam with at least once a week
Quote by xxblazinaznxx
I was planning on taking some guitar lessons and it costs 100 dollars a month. Is this too expensive or a good deal?

Sorry if I'm in wrong thread, didn't really know what this could go under.

Its not about price as such, but more the value. Teaching yourself is an option, depending how focused you are. Is the guy good? Is there something in his playing that you woulkd like to achieve? If so, then by all means, learn from him.

Many good musicians went through many guitar teachers in their lives... mostly to learn something about the guy's playing that he didn't know how to attain himself.

Go because you want the lessons, not because the price is right. There's a guy out here who charges the equivalent of $100 per 1/2hr lesson. Why? Cos he's a damn good musician and teacher.

Your choice in the end...
Quote by xxblazinaznxx

Well, there ya go then. What are you worried about?

you get what you pay for.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 7, 2009,