Page 1 of 2
#1
this is an idea i have been contemplating for the past week and i was wondering if someone is not willing to open up to different aspects of music because it doesnt fit into their norm or may make them seem uncool to their groups of friends then they are not real music fans rather fans of the coolness or resulting acceptance of liking a particular type of music or band.

i dont mind if someone dosent like a particular type of music because everyone is different but if you are not willing to embrace the music then............. shame on you.

i just wondered if anyone else fells this way
#2
No one truly likes 100% of music genres. Well, almost no one. Those that say they do are probably lying. However, I like about 90% of music genres, I would say that makes me a real music fan.

Edit: A lot of people lie about music because it's "uncool" to like certain stuff. They may actually like it.
Last edited by pantera456 at Jul 6, 2009,
#3
I actually completely agree.

+1 to you, TS, good sir.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
#4
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean like how people call bands gay the don't even bother listening to them? My friend won't listen to The Cars because he says they're gay... and Collective Soul. I don't understand how anyone can not like CS, but he probably is afraid to appreciate anything but standard rock and roll.
#6
I enjoy post rock and ambient electronica, though most of my friends don't.

However, I dislike hip hop and rap because they both give me headaches.
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
#7
Quote by Eliyahu
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean like how people call bands gay the don't even bother listening to them? My friend won't listen to The Cars because he says they're gay... and Collective Soul. I don't understand how anyone can not like CS, but he probably is afraid to appreciate anything but standard rock and roll.


yeah sort of
#8
I enjoy about 90% of music genres. Just because I don't like the other 10% doesn't mean I'm "not a real music fan." I tried it, didn't like it, and moved on.
Quote by NGD1313
Well I don't know about solos but how about that Smoke on the Water riff. It's like...impossible.


THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

I'm Jake. I'm a musician, philosopher, and exhibitionist.
#9
Or it could go the other way and people like obscure stuff just to be non-conformist
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
#10
Quote by Jacob6293
I enjoy about 90% of music genres. Just because I don't like the other 10% doesn't mean I'm "not a real music fan." I tried it, didn't like it, and moved on.



See, this guy agrees with me.
#11
Quote by Jacob6293
I enjoy about 90% of music genres. Just because I don't like the other 10% doesn't mean I'm "not a real music fan." I tried it, didn't like it, and moved on.



i dont expect anyone to like 100% of music but not letting yourself embrace it in order to develop an opinion is a shame
#12
Quote by pantera456
See, this guy agrees with me.


i agree too
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
#13
I don't like eating, because I don't like mushrooms.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
#14
your dumb your knot a music fan and u shud lrn english bcuz u shud no witch won words too use wear.

Also, my extremely eclectic library says I listen to all kinds of music.

^I don't like drinking, because Crown Royal is gross.
#15
Quote by metaladdict123
i dont expect anyone to like 100% of music but not letting yourself embrace it in order to develop an opinion is a shame



By embrace it do you mean listen to it and give it a chance?
#16
This thread is dumb. Even closed-minded people who only listen to one type of music are music fans. What would you call them? Maybe some people truly only like a few genres of music. Maybe some people like everything. They're both music fans because they're fans of music. I listen to tons of different types of music, and I'd say that my taste is way more diverse than the majority of the people here, so I'm not really biased. But I don't think that only liking a few types of music disqualifies you from being a music fan.
#17
If you don't listen to Danish Sloth core then you're not a true music fan.


Serious answer: You don't have to like it all, you just need to knowledge it as art. For instance, techno isn't really my thing but it is an interesting art form.
#18
Quote by metaladdict123
i dont expect anyone to like 100% of music but not letting yourself embrace it in order to develop an opinion is a shame


Define embrace.

Nobody, not even you, embraces this:

#19
i can hate a band but still respect them as musicians.
example: not a fan of the beatles. it's not that it's bad music, it's just not the type of music i like. i still respect them because they were great musicians though.
the game
#20
from someone who is self professed addicted to metal, I think it is a tad hypocritical for you to judge people who judge music.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
#21
i dont like all kinds of music. i hate anything that is commercialized and made for money. like rap, pop, and much more
#22
There's no such thing as a "real" fan of music as far as I'm concerned. Just people who enjoy the music. That's it
#23
Quote by Jacob6293
I enjoy about 90% of music genres. Just because I don't like the other 10% doesn't mean I'm "not a real music fan." I tried it, didn't like it, and moved on.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
#24
I listen to songs from ALOT of genres, but I'm not saying country is my favorite when for the most part I hate it, except for a select few songs, same goes for rap, pop, etc.
#26
I highly doubt anyone listens to the majority of music let alone all music. Perhaps heard of, but to actually get into it, definitely not.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Jul 6, 2009,
#27
I agree, you can't really say you don't like something unless you've actually listened to it.
#28
Quote by shuriken
i can hate a band but still respect them as musicians.
example: not a fan of the beatles. it's not that it's bad music, it's just not the type of music i like. i still respect them because they were great musicians though.


same here. like orchestras and symphonies = great talent but not my fav music. but i do like them live because they r powerful (i hav only been to like 5 from school field trips in grade school)
Last edited by ampoverload at Jul 6, 2009,
#29
Quote by metaladdict123
yes



Well, then I will embrace it until i've heard it. I won't pre-judge. I'll give it a listen, then I'll decide whether or not I like it.

Edit: that was kind of badly worded, but I think you get the gist of it.
Last edited by pantera456 at Jul 6, 2009,
#31
Quote by Twisted Magnum
Define embrace.

Nobody, not even you, embraces this:


I've listened to them. I don't know why the **** everyone sh!ts all over The Jonas Brothers. It's like saying that The Wiggles make crappy music. The Jonas Brothers are aimed at younger kids. Nobody is cool for not liking them. And, in fact, they're f*cking good at what they do. I dare you to write pop music and become as famous as The Jonas Brothers.
#32
Just because you are a fan of a band, doesn't mean you like all of their songs or albums. I don't see how music in general is any different, in order to be a fan you don't have to be a fan of all elements, just the elements you like.
#33
I rarely ever venture from my comfy abode that is metal. I will listen to anything that is good music, and appreciate it, not sure if I will like it though. I do play tuba in my school's wind ensemble, that is enough musical variety for me.

EDIT: The Jonas Brothers are good at what they do. Good musicians? Thats a little far fetched. But they are aimed at children, little girls mostly. Now some teenage girls these days dig them because apparently its cool to watch Family Channel if you're a teenage girl these days :s. Anyways, little kids don't care how talented their musicians are, they want something to jump around and sing along to, and they need extremely accessible music. Its like training wheel music, eventually your gonna outgrow it, start riding a real bike, and eventually a car. What car? Who knows, SUV, convertible, truck, minivan? Your choice.
Last edited by Gregray88 at Jul 6, 2009,
#34
Sometimes I get a lot of flak for being a big hardcore/metalcore/deathcore fan as well as a true metal fan, mainly because I'm into Bullet For My Valentine. I appreciate classical music, but don't listen to it. I like a fair amount of REAL rap. I do enjoy some radio/mainstream rock from time to time.
I would consider myself a real music fan.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
#35
Quote by Arrived+Dparted
I actually completely agree.

+1 to you, TS, good sir.

+2
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.


Resistance is victory.


We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
#36
Quote by ampoverload
i dont like all kinds of music. i hate anything that is commercialized and made for money. like rap, pop, and much more


Not all rap is commercialized.
To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human.
#37
Quote by metaladdict123
if you are not willing to embrace the music then............. shame on you.

No dude. I think everyone has gone through that phase. For the longest time I was ashamed of everything I listened to because my brother bullied me about music as a child (Freudian sob story I know). So I should be ashamed of that? I wasn't trying to impress anybody.

The thought of "you're not a real fan" is bull unless you have any type of authority on the matter, which nobody does. "Fan" is just a term and this crap is empty rhetoric.

Piffle.
Last edited by Le_Bunny at Jul 6, 2009,
#38
i heard a jonas brothers song once and there was this damn good solo in it, whether or not they wrote that solo is to be determined but idk as long as you give everything a shot and provide real reasons as to why you don't like said genre of music, then yeah you're a music fan
Quote by imdeth
The only grinding i want to do is to Napalm Death.
Quote by the humanity
you get humanitarian of the day award.
#39
Quote by shuriken
i can hate a band but still respect them as musicians.
example: not a fan of the beatles. it's not that it's bad music, it's just not the type of music i like. i still respect them because they were great musicians though.

This is how I am too. I feel this way about many, many bands. Tool comes to mind. They're brilliant musicians, I'm just not personally into their work.
Schecter Tempest Custom
Squier Jagmaster
Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (Modified)
Crafter D-8

DOD FX50-B > EHX Little Big Muff > Digitech Whammy 4 >
Dunlop Cry Baby > Zoom G3 > Boss DD-7 > Digitech Digiverb

Orange OR-15
Marshall Valvestate VS100
#40
Quote by Shaned
i heard a jonas brothers song once and there was this damn good solo in it, whether or not they wrote that solo is to be determined but idk as long as you give everything a shot and provide real reasons as to why you don't like said genre of music, then yeah you're a music fan

I know in live concerts they have a band playing behind them which is why what they are playing it whats not coming out the speakers and when theres a solo not a single person to be seen is playing anything close to it. I am not sure about their recording, but even if they did play, I doubt they write it.
Page 1 of 2