Well i got an estimate on putting Blackout Metals in my EC-1000 today. It'll cost $375 for pickups, new input jack for actives, rewiring and installation. But that would be alright if they didnt have to cut into the wood. Now my questions are, what do they mean by cutting into it, and if i was to get an Ibanez RGT42FXQM, would they have to cut into it too for Blackout Metals?
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
Peavey Classic 50 power amp
GK Neo 4x10
there's no wood cutting needed, they're just trying to rape you with extra charges. do it yourself and it'll cost you the price of the pickups ($180 ?) and like <$20 for a soldering iron and a spool of solder.

please don't pay someone $375 to do it for you, that's a crime.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
but, wouldnt it be more than soldering to change from passives to actives? i mean, i know youd atleast have to put in that cable for the 9 volt.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
you would also have to change the tone and volume pots to a diffferent parameter, i forgot which but this info can easily be searched with some time and google
ohh.
but what if i screw it up?
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
the guy i go to is real cool, i asked pretty much about this. BTW i would suggest the new EMG-X pickups (they're built to be the rivals of the blackouts and in my opinion are 100x better). anyway, the guy said that you dont need any routing, they can find places to put the batties and only minimal (if any) on the pickup cavity.

you could do it yourself, its very hard to screw up soldering, and even then you can undo it easily. if you mess up routing you can get pickup rings and fill in any other parts to hide anything you do wrong.
Last edited by SPBY at Jul 6, 2009,
the pickups come with everything you need to make the switch from passive to active. just take out all your old electronics, swap in the new ones, and solder away. if all goes well, you'll just have saved yourself hundreds.
You can get all that stuff from stewmac for maybe 20 bucks, then get a soldering iron and solder. Its not hard, just follow the diagram, read a couple of how-to's, and your golden. Dont pay someone almost 400 to put in pickups, that is fricking murder
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
ohh. so i need to google instructions and do it myself?
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
my dumbass got the ones with the jb/59 in it.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
i wasnt paying em 400 to do it, the 375 covered the pickups, new pots, wiring and all that.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
the pickups will come with directions, but if you don't have any experience with soldering it couldn't hurt to watch a few videos.
lol not a great choice in hindsight unlucky man
also how the hell do you have the gear you have at 16?
basically, my grandpa got most of it for me. he doubts hell be around long, so when he gets feeling bad, hell get me new gear.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
GK Neo 4x10
375 for the pups and jack and pots is still a rip off by like 175 bucks. a jack and pots are only a few bucks. Its not hard to do it yourself.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I gotta agree with everyone else here man changing from passive to active is pretty easy especially if your git has an access panel at the back. The wiring may seem hard at first but it's just a matter of following the diagram just make sure you cut the wires as close to the old pots as you can and you'll be sweet
when you buy the pickups, the pots and all other hardware is already included. and that's $175.

so don't pay him $200 to do it. if you really don't want to do it yourself, bring it to someone else who won't rape you, and will charge at most $50 for 20 minutes of work.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I guess the main question is have you had any wiring experience at all? not just guitars but other stuff too? if not then simple things like stripping the wire, knowing how much solder to use, proper earthing will be a bit tricky. Also with Blackouts you need to bridge them with a bit of wire (which is very easy) but these concepts will only confuse you further.

Go to a pro man just don't get ripped off