Hi guys,

A long time ago, I had a tech put a block of wood in my floating MIA strat's bridge so it would go level.

I have to take the guitar in to get some wiring fixed cause I have no idea what I am doing... and I was curious. I have been getting into a lot of classic rock lately and would love the whammy bar. Because of that block of wood in there I think I can't use it.

Any pros/cons of reversing what I had done? I know I have gotten used to picking with that stable bridge, you think having it float again would change that much??

Appreciate the responses and I hope I am being clear enough here.
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
strats shouldnt really float. is it one with a floyd?
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
I really couldn't tell you... I know that sounds bad, how could I tell...

All I remember is I bought the thing around 2002 and its a MIA Standard Strat
I originally heard that the tuning can get messed up-- but I am hoping the tech I take it to is okay... there are 2 places here, 1 does mainly band instruments (like hs band) and the other guys can kind of jip ya!

I figure the whammy would help a lot and make playing that much more enjoyable! I just was concerned if it would alter playing style/technique, since the bridge now sits flat and if I take out the block it will float up a bit.
With it bein an MIA it should stay in tune as long as you dont try to divebomb, but if you want it for slight "waving" effects it should do fine, and it shouldnt come off the body, if it does get it looked at.
It came off the body when I first bought the thing... :/
I just thought thats how it was supposed to be!
Not really, just get another spring put in the back, maybe use some lighter gauge strings. you should be fine.
if you set the guitar up well and take care of the trem, you shouldnt have any trouble keeping decent tuning stability. and honestly, thats probably the biggest problem i have with fender trems. you will also lose a bit of sustain but a decent amp with the volume turned up should help that.

what you gain is the ability to do some subtle vibrato and similar effects. its not like you will be able to do divebombs or anything. itll take some extra care, but if you want to use the trem for some of those things then it is worth it.
jof1029 knocked it on the head for me! Thanks bud.

You may/may not find this odd, but I don't get all the best sustain on my 5150 because I am limited to a lot of bedroom levels... so until I can get that sucker up higher, I think I will stick without the trem.

SAY I wanted to divebomb though...???
Last edited by sixstringedmatt at Jul 6, 2009,
Meh, you won't get any crazy dive bombs or pull ups. Pretty much a simple vibrato.
Quote by sixstringedmatt
It came off the body when I first bought the thing... :/
I just thought thats how it was supposed to be!

It's supposed to be like that. I have an American Deluxe strat. Here are my thought on the strat trem. It's slightly floating so tuning will be a little difficult. It's actually harder to tune than by RG. Mine came with locking tuners so it stays in tune for a long time. But the difficulty tuning was just too much for me. I just tightened the springs all the way. I noticed an increase in sustain and the tone was better. It all depends on how much you'll use the trem. The ability to use it does affect the tone of the guitar. But you could always just tighten the screws so the bridge is flush with the body. It won't be very permanent if you do that.
I think I am going to pass... I appreciate everyone's input on the matter!!

I just hope I can get the old axe fixed properly first!!
well when I had a trem like that I liked it to float about 1/8th an inch off the guitar which is common. But now I only use string through and Floyd Rose. I personally think classic trems just suck.
Quote by Darkdevil725
well when I had a trem like that I liked it to float about 1/8th an inch off the guitar which is common. But now I only use string through and Floyd Rose. I personally think classic trems just suck.

Tell that to Yngwie.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer