Hey everyone!

I just purchased a new Brice HXB-406 6-string fretless bass, which I love
I got it for $300 which is a cheap price, but it is a quality instrument. It came with a very poor quality brand of strings which I made the misfortunate mistake of buying twice. The strings practically came dead, they are very thin and dull. The worst part is that my B string is completely dead. The string stops vibrating almost instantly after I pluck it. Right now I am a little short on money so I was wondering if anyone knew a way to make my B string have more a little sustain. I have heard of boiling the strings, but I do not know if that will work on flatwound/new strings. I know that my bass is not the problem because i temporarily replaced the B with an E and it sounded fine. Any ideas, or should I just wait and buy a brand of strings that I trust?
Thanks for the advice. Also, if I use strings that aren't flat would, will they damage the fretboard?
Flat wound is totally safe on fretboards. The only thing to fear is Round would strings on a fretless bass that is untreated.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
if the bass is fretted it is pefectly safe to use roundwound strings.

I'm having a similar problem with a bass I recently bought, next time I have £'s I'm gonna get a heavier gauge of strings (prob. Warwick reds, I've got them on my other bass and quite liked them, and they're cheap too!) I don't know for sure if that'll solve the problem but having more tension should -> more sustain.

however, It might simply be the fact that they are flatwound that is causing the "dead" sound. although I've neveractually bought flatwound strings I have heardthey give you a duller, more bassy sound. Personally, I don't change my strings very often atall, the last pair I bought have lasted me about 2 1/2 years.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jul 7, 2009,
He said the bass is fretless.

You will know is the fretboard is treated as there will be a coating on the wood.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I don't think that would help because even playing an open has no sustain

EDIT: or do you think I am just over-judging it because I am so used to roundwound strings?
I can't think of anything cool to say so here are two dudes shootin each other:
Last edited by lekremyelsew at Jul 8, 2009,
Probably because they're flatwounds....they do sound duller.
Warwick Corvette $$ 4-string
Ibanez GSR200
SWR Goliath II 4x10
Eden 115XL
Carvin B1500 head
Well, im going to get some Elixir strings pretty soon, so I hope they sound good.
I can't think of anything cool to say so here are two dudes shootin each other: