So my Marshall is officially up for sale, and i'm looking for something to replace it, and my top 2 candidates are the Vox AC30 and AC50. I love the cleans of the AC30, but i'd love to have a 2 channel amp. I've played both and can't really come to a conclusion. i like the cleans and drive on the AC50, and it would save me $250 w/ an Avatar 212. do they take pedals well? any opinions?

I love Vox cleans and an Orange-esque drive...
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Vox cleans and Orange-ish drive...

AC50 it up. Although I love the AC30, if you want a dark OD channel, go for the AC50. It'll probably need a tube change to really get it's mojo workin' though.
Quote by spiff389
So my Marshall is officially up for sale, and i'm looking for something to replace it, and my top 2 candidates are the Vox AC30 and AC50. I love the cleans of the AC30, but i'd love to have a 2 channel amp. I've played both and can't really come to a conclusion. i like the cleans and drive on the AC50, and it would save me $250 w/ an Avatar 212. do they take pedals well? any opinions?

I love Vox cleans and an Orange-esque drive...

I'm assuming your talking about the heads??? For Orange like drive, I'd go for the AC50 over the AC30. Plus then you get an Avatar

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I don't see why people always settle for less, when its not even a huge difference in price anyway. If you want an Orange, save up for an Orange.

But, between the two, I'd say an AC50.
how well does the AC50 take pedals?
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
It will devour pedals.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
well alrighty then!
main rig:

Quote by necrosis1193
Quote by The_Bosstone
I don't see why people always settle for less, when its not even a huge difference in price anyway. If you want an Orange, save up for an Orange.

1+

Save up and get the amp you really want. If you're willing to skimp on tone then why even bother? After all, tone is what it's all about.
Quote by The_Bosstone

cause he wants vox cleans, the orange doesn't have the chimey cleans that the vox will
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Speaking from experience i can say that Vox cleans are FAR more usable than Orange!!!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
AC50 is the way to go. You can get some great high gain sounds out of it. The tone cut knob is very useful as well.
Orange drive varies a bit does it not? The AD30 and the Thunderverb have two completely different overdrives.
Quote by lbj273
cause he wants vox cleans, the orange doesn't have the chimey cleans that the vox will

Right on the money.

AC50 makes more sense if you want a less bright overdrive.

AC30's cleans were dam good when I tried them though, hopefully the AC50 is the same in that regard.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by BeethovensBust
Orange drive varies a bit does it not? The AD30 and the Thunderverb have two completely different overdrives.

True, the AD30 is a bit brighter than the rockers, rockerverbs and thunderverbs. I think the AD30 is actually supposed to be similar to the AC30
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90