I've been looking to get a Strat with plans to change the pick-ups, most likely to humbuckers due to the amount of hum the strats normally come with, but I've been thinking about just getting a HSS instead. I had a Squier Bullet with a humbucker installed and it didn't stop the hum at all.. I'm more than sure it was just the ****ty Squier but I was wondering if the HSS strats tend to be quiet with the humbucker. Also I'm still probably going to switch out the stock pick-ups.
hum could be many things. my friends guitar would hum on his amp, but not mine. whats ur whole set up?

and yeah it may just be ur crappy squier
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
my MIM hss strat doesn't hum at all.
no its true i see herman li saddling up a dragon as we speak.
also, if you misspell improv again, your next child will be born retarded

an argument over the blues ^^
Quote by JELIFISH19
Any specific reason why you want a strat?

Maybe he likes the feel of strats but hates the hum?
Quote by Avedas
Maybe he likes the feel of strats but hates the hum?

Pretty much nailed it. I generally like most things about them from the sound to the playable feel, but the hum is just, eh. I'm using a Peavy Sudio Pro and a Boss DS1. I've played it through a few other amps and it's got the same problem. I just don't want to waste money on a brand new HSS if it's going to have the same problem as the Squier.
A properly shielded and grounded SSS will considerably less hum than a stock standard HSS.Now a shielded and grounded HSS would be even better than that.Google 'shielding a strat'.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
my old ibanez is HSS. It hums on a few pickup settings with distortion, but it got a lot better after I replaced the selector switch, volume, tone pots, and capacitors.