Hello

a while ago I began noticing my open chords sounding rather off-pitch. I kept tuning the strings, yet no matter how often I tuned, my guitar went off tune within... seconds!

For example, when I play a D major chord, the chord just seems weirdly out of tune, even though individually the strings are in tune.

Recently, I changed the strings, but I still have the same problem.

My hypothesis is that the heat is causing these problems. During the day, I usually just leave my guitar hanging out on the floor or against a wall - I am not around but I can imagine my apartment gets very hot.

Any advice? Thanks
get a set up

to say more, you probably need truss rod adjusment and intonation problems fixed. a set up should help out, but i'm not sure of pricing for work on an acoustic/classical.
-------Gary Coy Smith---------

Epiphone G-400 1966 RI
Dean ML XM
EHX Big Muff
Epiphone Valve Jr
Guitar Rig 4
Last edited by buddyhimself at Jul 7, 2009,
probably store it in the case, although that shouldn't matter too much in the summer unless it gets real hot.

a set up would be pretty expensive; i asked my store how much it would cost to set my guitar up, they said it would be about 80 bucks.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
It might help to know the brand and model of the guitar, and which set of strings you recently put on it, mfr and gauge.
I don't realize how could the chords sound out of tune if the strings sound right on tune when they're sounding in the right tune individually.

Maybe you need to get a set up, like buddyhimself said. And, of course, it would be very helpful to know which guitar do you have and the strings that you're using.
Are you pressing too hard?
Is your guitar lying in direct sunlight?
Have you had a chance to stretch the strings/play it into tune?
What guitar and brand?
What strings?
What gauge of strings?
Are you fretting in the right position?
Are you using a guitar tuner to tune? or just by ear?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Hello, thanks for the responses.
Here's the info:

The guitar is an old, beat-up guitar I received from a friend. She told me she got it from "some garage sale for like 20 bucks". Anyways, I can't find the specific model but here are some pics:

Guitar body: http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo262/ybot1122/IMG_4578.jpg

Sticker on the Guitar (says "Heater"): http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo262/ybot1122/IMG_4584.jpg

My new strings are Elixir Polyweb Acoustic Guitar Strings (extra light: .010 - .047). The box also says 80/20 bronze (whatever that means).

I tuned my guitar both by ear and tuner, so I doubt that it's simply "out of tune".

Quote by Dawan
I don't realize how could the chords sound out of tune if the strings sound right on tune when they're sounding in the right tune individually.

Honestly, I don't understand it either - but it's the best way I can describe it. It's just the way the chord sounds as a whole. The notes seem to clash. Should I try relative tuning? Thanks.

Anyways, could some one explain to me what a "set-up" is? As you can tell, I am a beginner. Thanks again for the help!
Last edited by ybot1122 at Jul 8, 2009,
Sounds like your intonation is off.
Was it always like this or did it just happen?
If it was always like this there is a chance the saddle could be in backwards. Some saddles have notches cut out so the strings make contact in different places (not quite in a straight line), this should set up the intonation on the bridge.
Hope that helps. If that's not the problem then I have no idea.
Quote by ToffeeandApples
You my friend, put the pwn in pwnt.

Hell Yeah
I didn't used to have this problem. Gradually, I started noticing it harder to keep a good pitch. And now I'm certain their is a problem. I will try restringing it tonight, and checking the saddle.

EDIT:
same problem. Here's a better way to describe my situation:

I read somewhere that described this noise as a "sick" noise, as if my guitar was "sick".

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-83795.html (sounds similar to my problem).
Last edited by ybot1122 at Jul 8, 2009,