A couple of months ago i bought a shecter damien-7 for 400$ off of musician's friend on a scratch and dent deal. I hadn't really tried out the guitar but i played the 6 string model of the same guitar and i thought it sounded amazing. However for whatever reason, the 7 string is lacking. It doesn't produce enough distortion and when it does it sounds muffled and all around weird. so without thinking i replaced my whole rig before even thinking about the guitar, new randall half stack, new distortion pedals, the works.

So I'm wondering if i should re-wire the guitar and see if i get a better sound or should i just replace the pickups alltogether. Also, i thought maybe the extended 26.5" scale would cause the strange sound but i really have no clue
when's the last time you changed your strings ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
oh i spose, it has been awhile and i have never replaced the low b string. that would make sense. im using kind of a hybrid of low and light gauges which could cause a muffled sound. what gauge of string would produce a clearer yet heavy sound?
what tuning do you use ?
i'd try a set of .11-.58 in your preferred brand.
I tried using some heavier strings but because of the extended scale the strings were so tight, i couldn't bend. How could i lower my tension just enough to get some play with the top 3 strings?
hmm, maybe just go for a set of .9's and if the B is too floppy swap it out for a heavier one.
ok, i'll give that a shot. When i was at guitar center the guy told me it sounded like a had a half dead pickup. I would get it checked out buy my local music shop is extremely expensive. How can you check if your pickups are still working properly?