I am thinking of converting my bass to fretless and i was wondering if it was a good idea for metal/rock/jazz playing
yes it is. i love the sound of a fretless.

http://www.bassdefret.com/

best advice/guides there, and if you defret your bass: stick some flatwound strings on it.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
There are fretless bassists in all of the genres you mentioned.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Its a great idea. Fretless bass would add a unique tone metal/rock/jazz.
Intronaut is one of my favorite bands that have fretless bass. Their bass player has some incredible basslines that add so much more atmosphere to the music. You should check them out.
If its not your only bass I don't see why not.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by ZaccB
If its not your only bass I don't see why not.

I agree. If it's your only bass I wouldn't recommend doing it though
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by lekremyelsew
Its a great idea. Fretless bass would add a unique tone metal/rock/jazz.
Intronaut is one of my favorite bands that have fretless bass. Their bass player has some incredible basslines that add so much more atmosphere to the music. You should check them out.

+1

Joe Lester is great.

I wholly encourage doing it, TS. Fretless bass is great. Opens up a whole new level of expression in your playing.

If you want to hear more fretless metal stuff, I urge you to check out Cosmogenesis by Obscura. That album has some of the best fretless playing I've ever heard, especially in a metal context. Jeroen Paul Thesseling plays for them. He also plays in a world music/fusion project, Ensemble Salazhar, and developed a 72-tone equal temperament bass when he studied microtonality.

And of course, there's Steve DiGiorgio. He's most famous for his stint with Death, but I love his playing on Defiant Imagination by Quo Vadis too. His discography is massive, too. He's played with Sadus, Iced Earth, Vintersorg, Testament, Autopsy, Dragonlord, Control Denied, and Artension too, among others. He also has/had a fusion band, Dark Hall. I think their stuff is free to download from his website.

Sean Malone is another pretty well known metal fretless player. He played on both of Cynic's albums, Aghora's first album, a solo record, and with his own project, Gordian Knot. Can't go wrong with any of that. Great music, great playing. He's also published a couple books on bass (Music Theory for Bassists and Portrait of Jaco, I think). In addition to all that, he's also a music theory professor at the University of Central Missouri.

I really do love fretless in a metal setting. It really adds a whole nother facet to the music, and allows for more textural supportive playing.
Quote by skater dan0

I add my car to this train.

take it slow, don't go too fast if you're doing it. I popped myself in the face with pliers because I was impatient and pulling too hard.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by skater dan0

I wouldn't either. Also, have you ever tried playing a fretless before? If you haven't, I'd go to a guitar store and try some out before defretting you bass. They aren't for everyone.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
The reason why you should only do it if you have another bass to keep fretted, is because learning to play a fretless is like learning to play a new instrument altogether. It may take some getting used to, and in the meantime, it'd be a good idea to have a regular bass to fall back on.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia