Page 1 of 3
I've always liked the idea of another planet,not necessarily Earth like,but just one capable of supporting life.Brainstorming about the idea is something I constantly do,but watching Galactica for the past few weeks has made me want to discuss it.

Do you think(taking into consideration that the average Pit Monkey should be about cca 15 years old) that we will discover another Earth like planet in our lifetime?And even if we do,Earth like means water,some greenery,animal life,oxygen,nitrogen,etc.,etc..

But those things could be really similar to Earth's,yet couldn't withstand human life,or any Earthican life for that matter.

For instance,what if the air pressure is to low,or too high,or if there is 5% more oxygen in the air than we can take,or less?What are the parameters that an average human can withstand?

And also,evolution and other life forms?Do you think we would find important medical information and progress from that planets flora and fauna,since a lot of meds are on herbal basis.And do you think humans would evolve much differently than those on Earth?

For example,would those surviving in an atmosphere poorer with oxygen develop once again fetal hemoglobin,or not even get rid of it,would humans on worlds with two suns where the sun in constantly up,have worse vision?

Even if we find one,how can we reac it at sublight speed?,I for one hold that achieving speeds above the speed of light is impossible,but hey,people thought Earth is flat...
Hodam,a stojim...
in the vast massiveness of the universe, its pretty much impossible for there to NOT be another earth.

will we ever discover it? who knows. not in our lifetime i'm sure.
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
discover? maybe. land on? absolutely not. it would be far enough away that it would take many times longer than our lifespanjust to reach it.

It is certain there are other life supporting planets out there, but finding them is incredibly hard.
Quote by ep1kz
in the vast massiveness of the universe, its pretty much impossible for there to NOT be another earth.

This. Although they might discover us before we ever get close to them.
in our lifetime we may see one through a telescope, but i doubt we will actually get to one anytime soon. its a lot of time and money to spend on a rather pointless expedition.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Will we find another earht-like planet in our lifetimes? No.
Would I love to see it happen? Yes.
Why? Creationists.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by ep1kz

That's why I'm thinking of cryo-freezing myself(but at 60 or some,I still have way to much to live to then).

I just don't wanna die not knowing the secrets of the universe,and I'm an atheist,so yeah,death sucks for me.

Yes,but then again,how many times do you have to throw a rock in a pond to create a wawe that has even the same amplitude.How many times do you have to do that with the same shape,same size,same mass rock to achieve the same?If you get my analogy.

The universe is so vast that at one point it tells us that it is nearly impossible for it to have only one Earth like planet,and in the other,that it's possible that this is the first one(I seriously doubt last,since the universe has much more to live)
Hodam,a stojim...
I saw some show where these guys were looking for earth like planets and they thought there were three that were possiblely earth like planets capable of supporting life but they have to make the trip there or something.
I recently saw a documentary about Saturn's moons, Titans and Enceladus and eh. Now I think that life happens MUCH more frequently in the universe then we think.

You should read about Enceladus especially. Very interesting stuff.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

If this Earthlike planet exists as you say, then whatever life form inhabiting it will evolve differently due to its surroundings. But I'm sure "survival of the fittest" will still hold true and that they'd eventually adjust to the thinned air or what have you.

And like ep1kz said, it's pretty much impossible for there not to be another planet out there like ours. Technically if space is infinite, then there has to be AT LEAST one other planet out there like Earth.
>.>
<.<

A couple of old tribes say they were visited by other beings from Sirius C .......O_o

complete bull**** but that would be cool
YEAH! ಠ_ಠ
I thought I read an article that there was a planet being made somewhere with the same properties as Earth.

Though it'd be billions of years before it'd be finished.
I will more than likely never return to any thread I post in, so don't bother replying to me.
Theyve alrdy found one.. it just doesnt have any life lols.

Edit: like that guy below said... it's too hot lols probably should of said that
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yea, you show her common sense. You show her your common sense hard. You shove your common sense down her throat. She's a naughty little thing and you need to beat some common sense all over her face.

^In regards to incest
Last edited by slafoo at Jul 7, 2009,
Edit: ^ No, that's completely wrong. You were mislead by the title of the article. They MIGHT have found a planet that COULD support life if it were a few million miles further from its star. If it does exist, it would be far too hot to support life. They can't actually see the planet through a telescope. They predict it is there based on gravitational fields observed on the solar system's activity and alignment.

Quote by burndttoast
And like ep1kz said, it's pretty much impossible for there not to be another planet out there like ours. Technically if space is infinite, then there has to be AT LEAST one other planet out there like Earth.

I used to think that, but after listening to some good arguments, i think that's stupid. We do not have the information yet to compute such odds, therefore assuming that there has to be another planet capable of supporting life is jumping the gun.
Last edited by StewieSwan at Jul 7, 2009,
I am relatively sure that we have found several hundred planets that are within most of the parameters to sustain life on one level or another.

There is a moon off of Jupiter (perhaps Saturn, can't recall) where methane exists in all 3 phases, gas, liquid and solid, just like water does here on Earth. It is entirely plausible that some methane based life form (most likely very, very simple due to the small amounts of energy available) exists beneath the moon's ice sheets.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
o god yes. fucking +1

I wanted to say that but did not because if we keep up with that,soon we will have trolls,and I want this to be an open scientific debate.

@Lithium717:maybe you read about terraforming Mars?But yes,it will be a loooong looong time and a cold day in hell when it starts to be inhabitable,which once again raises an important question..GRAVITY?!
Hodam,a stojim...
I am personally a creationist, and though i dont think that other planets like earth have been created YET i do fell its possible that God will create more inhabitable planets and maybe even ways to transport there... Once he starts interacting with man again... Though im sure you all think that is crazy, thats what i think. By the way i have been studying science and space and a little quantum physics on my own time and its so surprising how little we know about anything yet. Scientists seem to come across more things they dont understand than they do. But yes, inhabitable planets are fathomable to me.
Quote by labria86
I am personally a creationist, and though i dont think that other planets like earth have been created YET i do fell its possible that God will create more inhabitable planets and maybe even ways to transport there... Once he starts interacting with man again... Though im sure you all think that is crazy, thats what i think. By the way i have been studying science and space and a little quantum physics on my own time and its so surprising how little we know about anything yet. Scientists seem to come across more things they dont understand than they do. But yes, inhabitable planets are fathomable to me.

You are right. This is crazy. No offense or anything, but how can you be so arrogant as to believe that if God created the near-infinite universe, He would only start life on this tiny, tiny, miniscule, infintesimal speck of dirt and H20?

Or further, that he would only care about this tiny, tiny, miniscule, infintesimal speck of dirt and H20?
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Quote by Seryaph
You are right. This is crazy. No offense or anything, but how can you be so arrogant as to believe that if God created the near-infinite universe, He would only start life on this tiny, tiny, miniscule, infintesimal speck of dirt and H20?

Or further, that he would only care about this tiny, tiny, miniscule, infintesimal speck of dirt and H20?

I love ripping apart creationist arguments as much as the next atheist, but please don't start this here. Not the time or the place. Too many science threads get closed due to religion bashing.
actually, because of the vastness of the universe and everything that we don't know, i think it could be probable that we never find another earth. Im not saying that there aren't other planets with life, im just saying that there could be so much that we dont know that each planet has it's own elements and atmosphere's that could support some kind of random life other than ours. It could be incredibly inhospitable to us, but perfect for some other type of life.
Quote by Azrael_031
I wanted to say that but did not because if we keep up with that,soon we will have trolls,and I want this to be an open scientific debate.

@Lithium717:maybe you read about terraforming Mars?But yes,it will be a loooong looong time and a cold day in hell when it starts to be inhabitable,which once again raises an important question..GRAVITY?!

terraforming mars is generally laughed at by most scientists. The actual process is just incomprehensibly difficult. I just don't see it happening EVER. not in our lifetime, not in 5 billion years, not ever.

i do however believe that life from another planet will probably find US first.
Let us remember however that these are all based on our understanding of what we call "life", which is to us a carbon based string of self-replicating proteins

That doesn't mean that there aren't other compounds made up of entirely different stuff that can do the same

There may be other lifeforms COMPLETELY different from everything we thought we knew, maybe a group of space beings who breathe xenon and eat platinum for all we know
Yes.
Last edited by Misc Debris at Jul 7, 2009,
Possible water ocean

In late 2008, scientists observed water vapor spewing from Enceladus's surface. This could indicate the presence of liquid water, which might also make it possible for Enceladus to support life.[52] Candice Hansen,[53] a scientist with NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab in California headed up a research team on the plumes after they were found to be moving at ~2,189 kilometres per hour (1,360 miles per hour). Since that speed is unusual and is usually attained when water is involved, they decided to investigate the compositions of the plumes.[54]

Evidence from the Cassini probe points to a possible global liquid ocean beneath the frozen surface.[55] Particles of ice analysed by Cassini revealed that the ice was of salt water which could, it is surmised, only occur in a large liquid body of water, as such Enceladus is a candidate for the harbouring of extraterrestrial life.[56] An alternative interpretation of the results is of large water filled caverns.

Taken from;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enceladus_(moon)
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

TS are you high? because i contemplate sh*t like this seriously when im high too.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
I like to think so because it gives the universe a chance that there may be a race not as stupid as humans.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
terraforming mars is generally laughed at by most scientists. The actual process is just incomprehensibly difficult. I just don't see it happening EVER. not in our lifetime, not in 5 billion years, not ever.

However we should take into consideration that we may be the most intelligent life there is.

Don't get me wrong,I'm the first one to bash the human race,but mathematical rpobabilities suggest that it could be one or another,which one,we don't know,and that's the point that's freaking all of us out.

Scientist don't like not knowing,not knowing of course keeps our biggest perversion alive,and that's curiosity,but it still frightens us.

And yes,I reckon that there could be even phosphorus based life instead of carbon one,but since I'm talking about planets that could not only sustain life,but earth life,I need the ones most Earth like,which means that they should sustain carbon life
Hodam,a stojim...
I am agnostic as to whether or not there is intelligent life out somewhere in the universe (although, I lean towards pro) but I do not think we will ever see, hear, or come in contact with them.

Quote by StewieSwan
Will we find another earht-like planet in our lifetimes? No.
Would I love to see it happen? Yes.
Why? Creationists.

If we find other intelligent life somewhere in the universe, then that will have only strengthened my belief in (a) God.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Last edited by Weeping_Demon7 at Jul 7, 2009,
Quote by Azrael_031
However we should take into consideration that we may be the most intelligent life there is.

Don't get me wrong,I'm the first one to bash the human race,but mathematical rpobabilities suggest that it could be one or another,which one,we don't know,and that's the point that's freaking all of us out.

Scientist don't like not knowing,not knowing of course keeps our biggest perversion alive,and that's curiosity,but it still frightens us.

And yes,I reckon that there could be even phosphorus based life instead of carbon one,but since I'm talking about planets that could not only sustain life,but earth life,I need the ones most Earth like,which means that they should sustain carbon life

It's really a 50/50 on whether we are the most intelligent life. It's highly improbable for us to be the most advanced, but at the same time, if we are the most advanced here, who says we aren't the most advanced anywhere else. hmmm perplexing. I sure hope we aren't the most advanced because then we've really got nowhere to go other than relying on ourselves.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
It's really a 50/50 on whether we are the most intelligent life. It's highly improbable for us to be the most advanced, but at the same time, if we are the most advanced here, who says we aren't the most advanced anywhere else. hmmm perplexing. I sure hope we aren't the most advanced because then we've really got nowhere to go other than relying on ourselves.

It's all irrelevant because we do not know anything about extra-terrestrial life.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

is there an earth like planet: yes
with wormholes we can reach them, not with ships at lightspeed you silly americans
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I doubt we'll discover one any time soon, but I don't doubt at all that there are other planets in this massive universe that can sustain life.

I'm sure there are civilizations far more advanced than us that exist right now. And others that aren't as advanced as we are. They're out there, wondering if we're here too.
Last edited by Oroborous at Jul 7, 2009,
there are more planets like earth then we can probably comprehend but where to dumb to get there

Face it, (hopes that were not being bomb by aliens)
Being a creationist myself, I find it absolutely ridiculous to believe that there can't be life elsewhere in the universe. Also, 4 dimensional travel for the win. Wormholes can really solve all our problems, but that won't be a feasible means of travel for hundreds, if not thousands of years (or more).
Quote by Avedas
Being a creationist myself, I find it absolutely ridiculous to believe that there can't be life elsewhere in the universe. Also, 4 dimensional travel for the win. Wormholes can really solve all our problems, but that won't be a feasible means of travel for hundreds, if not thousands of years (or more).

I don't like it when your kind starts thinking ,
go back to being a stereotype
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

+1

Also, in the future, the Earth's plates will stop moving due to cooling. This will mean that the Earth will be uninhabitable as the temperature, atmosphere, etc. will change.
I can't remember the detail exactly.
I know we'll have no magnetic field, and so no protection, but that's it

But, that is what happened to Mars, Unless you can change the core of Mars, we can't terraform it into Earth.

Just backing up what you said.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Page 1 of 3