So just wondering what everyone thinks about them. I went to their concert a couple months ago in dallas texas. I was in front row and had one of the best times of my life. I'm amazed that they are not more well known. Their new album Tonight:Franz Ferdinand is lyrically genius. They are the best live band i have seen. (I also got the bass player (bob)'s setlist from the stage after the show, and shook Alex Kapranos's hand during the outro.

So has anyone listen to or own their new album? I think it is hard to compare to their two previous but in many ways is better.
I have a love/hate relationship with FF.
Originally posted by reb_49
One spy who breaks the rules.
One Amish man who must fight to win.
both meet in the wrong place at the wrong time
RAKE FIGHTER, DRUG DEALING SPY in,
MIRPA!!!

COMING SOON
rated "R" for Rakes
<<<SingToSaveTheWorld>>>
I like them, Im just far too lazy to get round to getting the new album.

Id like to see them live this year though..
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by Fiddelers elbow
I like them, Im just far too lazy to get round to getting the new album.

Id like to see them live this year though..

I'm the same. Went to see them off the back of the first album and thought they were alright.
Hello, mother leopard. I have your cub. You must protect her, but that will be expensive. 10,000 cola nuts, wrapped in brown paper. Midnight, behind the box. I'll be the hyena, you'll see.
These guys have some fabulous tracks, they're pop ok but some songs are just classics like The fallen. Still listening to their albums is a bit disappointing. Watched them playing live at the Benicassim festival last year and they have a fantastic live show!
I prefer them as a live band than an album band. I saw them a couple of years ago and they put on a great show.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
I had their first album, lost interest in it after a while, and got bored of all the hype (in Britain, they were seen as one of the music press's monthly 'saviours of rock music'). But then I saw them at Glastonbury on the TV, and they really impressed me. Their live show is about a hundred times better than the stuff they've been churning out on albums, they're incredibly tight, and they put on a proper art-school spectacle in the mould of Talking Heads. There should be more of this in live music, rather than the generic 'four guys standing around looking bored' look.
Yeah i agree with alot of you. They put on great live shows. But their new album is much different than the previous two. And here in the United States it seems like kids are now shifting towards new wave psychodelic rock kind of stuff like "Animal Collective" and i thought for sure Franz Ferdinand would burst out again on the popularity scales. Their new album is very upbeat and psychodelic in many ways.
They're quite fantastic. I would love to see them live again.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
If you dont like them can you explain a little bit about why? There are alot of people saying that they like them and dislike them, but dont explain why they dont like them. Im not mad that people dislike them or trying to defend the band, i would just like to hear why. Thanks.
I guess the problem with their records as opposed to the live show is that they're one of those self-consciously 'arty' bands, who you expect a certain level of experimentation from and, for me anyway, they often fail to fulfil that potential. I think they can often sound a little too slick and overproduced, like they've deliberately curbed some of the more free-reining ideas that seem to pop up when they play live. I don't see too much of a progression through their 3 albums, they seem to me a bit too worried about alienating people who were fans of their first record, so they have a tendency to opt for what sounds 'most like franz ferdinand'. That's what I think, anyway. Like I said, I don't hate them, I just get a bit frustrated that they could be doing more.
Yeah that makes alot of sense. They have alot of potential. But i think the third album is the album that is most "experimental". Tracks like "Lucid Dreams" moved away from the "plastic" songs and went off on its own psychodelic ride which in my opinion is phenominal work. But yeah, when i saw them live they would change up alot of their songs and make them sound even better and i guess more "experimental" and that would be great if they would stick to working on creating tracks with that energy and uniqueness.
Franz Ferdinand is one of those bands, for me at least, that show massive potential in a few of their tracks... But when you consider their albums as a whole as a work of art, it's pretty disappointing.

If you really dig them, then that's really cool, but they're not a band I'd make a point of listening to at the moment. I'll be keeping my eyes on them though, because, like I said, they've got a lot of potential.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Yeah for some reason they just really appeal to me. They are my favorite modern day band. I feel like i can relate alot to them in many ways.
Alex Kapranos is 37 and singing pop songs about teenage boys and girls relationships... Weird much?
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
The new album is brilliant. They're different direction was really successful with me. They're catchy as hell. Would love to see them live.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
ya, i think they r excellent. They kinda have that sorta new rock/funk thing goin for them. Their new album, Tonight, is brilliant in my mind
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine
Last edited by Tojo62 at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by Hereiwas
Alex Kapranos is 37 and singing pop songs about teenage boys and girls relationships... Weird much?

Yeah that is a good point, i never put the two together. But i also have heard rumors that Alex Kapranos is bisexual. So the song "No You Girls" could quite possibly be a take off of his own experiences with both sides of relationships.?
Quote by SeamoreButts667
Yeah that is a good point, i never put the two together. But i also have heard rumors that Alex Kapranos is bisexual. So the song "No You Girls" could quite possibly be a take off of his own experiences with both sides of relationships.?

possibly. It's still sad that the closest thing to a rock star here in england is almost old enough to be some of the listeners dad.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by Hereiwas
possibly. It's still sad that the closest thing to a rock star here in england is almost old enough to be some of the listeners dad.

We have bigger rockstars, he's not really that huge.

Though I find it REAL weird how he's 47 and still making tween indie.
Quote by Libertine..
We have bigger rockstars, he's not really that huge.

Though I find it REAL weird how he's 47 and still making tween indie.

That was what I was aiming at. Atleast bands like Babyshambles had the decency to grow up a little you know?
CuSO4

Quote by Hereiwas
That was what I was aiming at. Atleast bands like Babyshambles had the decency to grow up a little you know?

Guess it's cause most indie bands don't like past their 30s, but those who do seem to mature a little, this guy is still singing 'Do You Wanna' at festivals. It's a little odd that's all.
I did not know he was 37 when i went to their concert a while back. They all seem to be in their late 20's. So if you dont know their real age, they can pull it off real well i guess. I have a feeling that their next album ( if there is one) will have a very different feel to it (although my opinion is that "Tonight:Franz Ferdinand" was very different). So i think they have milked the whole cliche Franz sound by now and i believe their next projects will possibly bring them back into the spotlight.

I thought that their newest album would bring them back into the spotlight here in the U.S., as i saw many commercials play their new hits. But, that is not the case as of right now.(Plus stupid ol' Green Day is in the spotlight for some odd reason. But Franz is suppose to tour with them soon, which i find weird. Hopefully it will bring more attention to them than Green Day.)