I have JB/'59s in my EC-1000 now, but it doesn't handle drop c worth a damn. so what are good PUPS for metal, and handle drop C well? i was looking at blackouts, but itd be expensive to go active in my ec.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
Peavey Classic 50 power amp
GK Neo 4x10
Well for high gain metal the general rule is active. Blackouts, EMG/X, DiMarzio Super Distortions etc

not sure on high gain passives i'm sure there's some out there
DiMarzio Super Distortions are passive.

Personally I'd try some D-Activators, maybe a D-Sonic.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I use active EMG's and they work great. Go to a guitar place and ask around. Maybe try out a few.
^^^^
YES.

buy the D sonics
i have them on all of my guitars. best pickups money can buy. they sound great with heavy strings and drop tuned guitars.
I LOVE blackout metals, but all these shops around here are outrageous on installing them.
Gear:

Fender Roadhouse Strat
EC-1000 JB/'59
Fender Mark Hoppus bass
Eleven Rack
Peavey Classic 50 power amp
GK Neo 4x10
^install them your self^
It's not really very hard at all.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
EMG H4, Seymour Duncan Sh-5 Custom or Dimarzio D Sonic for passives.
Blackouts for Actives.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
I actually like JB's, even for metal but I'd go with Dimarzio's D-Activators or EMG's for straight up metal.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
My JB was fine in drop c. Maybe its the scale length of your guitar not working with the JB well for drop c, or you could try a change in strings or string size? When was the guitar last setup and intonated?
Quote by JaGi
My JB was fine in drop c. Maybe its the scale length of your guitar not working with the JB well for drop c, or you could try a change in strings or string size? When was the guitar last setup and intonated?
+1

It's odd that you don't like your current pick-ups for metal, so what JaGi mentioned is worth thinking about. Your amp could be your problem, either. What are you using?

Replacing the pick-ups from JB's to something else isn't going to drastically alter your tone. If you said "they aren't quite what I wanted", then I'd suggest changing the pick-ups. Or if you put like this: "I'm getting a little bored with my guitars tone", then I'd, once again, suggest changing them. But because you said that your current set-up
doesn't handle drop c worth a damn
I'm inclined to think something else might be the problem
Definitely an x2n or a jb, those things are perfect for drop tunings
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
The JB is a great pickup, I use one for standard drop D metal.
But....the JB can develop a loose, uncontained lowend when used for drop C and lower.
Something like a Duncan Distortion or Custom 5 stays tighter at lower tunings.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
The JB is a great pickup, I use one for standard drop D metal.
But....the JB can develop a loose, uncontained lowend when used for drop C and lower.
Something like a Duncan Distortion or Custom 5 stays tighter at lower tunings.

Yeah plus the fact that he plays on a Dual Rectifier, which are known for being pretty loose. So buying a tighter sounding pick-up might solve the problem.
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
Or he could use a boost or try a different cabs, maybe the amp isnt dialed in quite right. There are so many things that could be affecting the problem. Even the dimensions of his cab.
Last edited by JaGi at Jul 7, 2009,
i agree with everyone else, but then again, it could just as easily be your pups

i've tried just about every major brand,

duncans to me just seem a little generic, good, but the only really good ones are the p-rails

dimarzios, really good, no actives, but the d activators and d activator x's are really quiet and good, x's are more midsy, but that allows for better cleans and more even tone throughout

emgs, quiet but very sterile, very comparable to d activators, just more widespread and tends to be kinda lifeless

then there's always like bare knuckle or rock monkey, but those cost quite a bit, but from what i hear, they kick complete and total @$$,

so in a nutshell, for just metal, and emgs, blackouts or livewird dave mustaines, d activators, normal or x, and x2n paf pro combo, or just about any contemporary rock monkey or bare knuckle,

hope that gives you some of the options you're looking for, also, the summing up of the companies are from MY EXPERIENCES AND FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD, so you may think differently, i tried to keep any bias out of my post
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration