What kind of Strings/Gauge would be good for playing mostly Metal/Rock. I play from E-Standard to Drop C. I don't really plan on tuning lower than C.
do you often break strings? if you break strings a lot, move up a gauge.
Whatever you're comfortable with.

I use 9s, but granted, I pretty much don't move out of E standard.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
This is 100% personal preference dude. Just remember that as string gauge rises, tension rises, intonation settings change, and tone gets "fatter"
10-52's are perfect.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
i agree on 10-52s.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Yeah, Ernie ball Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom are what i used to use for down tuning.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Or you could use Beefy Slinkies, 11-54, they'll be great in drop tunings, and they're great in standard, which is what I use them for.
e.b 12's FTW.

though they are quite scary to string a floyd with. but i find that 11's are too floppy tbh. so 12's may be the way to go. though the tension is quite different.
you really have to have some strong fingers to play.
i have a modest rig which consists of guitar related stuff
Member of the Laney Cult
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

my band : Fragments.
Well ive been using DR 10-46 gauge strings for E and Drop D but it feels a bit floppy for C, so i might try 11's but would that be too thick to use for E Standard?
Quote by eighttroy19
Well ive been using DR 10-46 gauge strings for E and Drop D but it feels a bit floppy for C, so i might try 11's but would that be too thick to use for E Standard?

Not in the slightest, Ive played 13s in standard, its fine, I don't anymore, since I use heavy top 11's. But they'll be absolutely fine.
Yea I agree on the skinny top heavy bottoms. They work perfect for drop C tuning. They are a bit tight for standard tuning but I got used to them within 3 days of playing.
My gear so far:

-Cort KX5 (pearl white)
-Crybaby Wah
-Danelectro Cool Cat
-Fender Twin Reverb 65' Reissue
-Hardwire TL2
Quote by eighttroy19
are ernie ball strings good for this type of music?

Heaps of metal musicians use em , like Petruccii , Hammett , Slash , etc

So i guess , yes they would be.

I use 10 - 52 's and i do play some drop c but i find it still kinda loose so i'm gonna go for some 12 - 56 's next , so 10 - 52 's should do it fine.
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Quote by Quaned
Heaps of metal musicians use em , like Petruccii , Hammett , Slash , etc

So i guess , yes they would be.

I use 10 - 52 's and i do play some drop c but i find it still kinda loose so i'm gonna go for some 12 - 56 's next , so 10 - 52 's should do it fine.

maybe ill try that but i have 10-46 's and it dosnt seem that bad, ill just experiment a bit with different sizes.
for drop C i would get at least 11-54's
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I use Ernie Ball Super Slinky 11 gauge. They sound warmer and thicker then all of the lower gauges. Bending takes some energy, but I feel it's a fair trade for a good sound.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Dude believe it or not ... I use Dunlop Zakk Wylde 10 - 46s and have for 2 years and have NEVER broken a single string. I tune from Standard to Drop C also. They're perfect for me. Try em for yourself and see if they work for you. I hate Ernie Balls with a passion too ... they dont work for me and i break them like none other.... Kinda weird i know
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Jul 11, 2009,