So I own a Peavey vb-2 and I've been noticing quite a bit less clean headroom lately. Since the tubes are almost 2 years old(stock/ floor model) and I play the amp hard and often I would attribute this to tube aging. Possible one or more are about to go out too. As a bassist I require the most possible clean headroom. I am not mic'd at gigs so I turn up quite loud to keep up with both guitarists who are running into the PA. The amp keeps up though. What I'm looking for is: what should I look out for when shopping for new tubes, will certain brands tend to have a higher output before breakup, or anything at all?

They are EL34's. This is my first retube ever so all advice would be appreciated. and no i won't be doing it myself.

EDIT: It came with JJ tubes and i did like the tone. Could have a bit more clean headroom if it is possible though. Don't really know about this sort of thing yet.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Jul 7, 2009,
Just swap them with the same tubes. You get a loss in headroom because the tubes are starting to wear out, if that doesn't solve the problem you can always switch to 6L6's (they have lots of headroom).
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
the amp is not compatible with 6L6's and there isn't really room for an adapter in it. Unless there's any other suggestions I'll just stick with JJ's again.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
JJ has a tube called the E34L which has a bit more headroom, less high end and more bass than your typical EL34.
Quote by al112987
JJ has a tube called the E34L which has a bit more headroom, less high end and more bass than your typical EL34.

+1
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

You can order from places like tubedepot.com or kcanostubes.com and specifically ask for a set of 'cold' tubes, which will have more headroom. Between that and a switch to the JJ EL34L, you should get a good boost in clean volume.
You could also buy the same tubes as before and have your amp bias cold.
I run EL34's and have my amp biased cold for a clearer distorted high gain tone at loud volume levels.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by al112987
Biasing cold yields less headroom.

...and **** tone!
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by al112987
Biasing cold yields less headroom.
Que?
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by Van Noord
Que?

Nope sorry, you're right, I must have been stoned or something when I wrote that.
Quote by makuserusukotto
KT77's.

Direct replacement for EL34's. More headroom.

kind of a necropost but it's my own thread and missed the last few replies. Anyone else think that KT77's would be a good idea to try for a bass amp? Or would the E34L's be a better choice. I love a big fat warm tone. Kind of an old school tone like from some Zeppelin and such. I wanna fill the room, but not be muddy. I know a lot of that is in EQing of course.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Last edited by Revelation at Jul 15, 2009,
I don't think you could go wrong with ethier if your need a little more headroom, be sure to contact Peavey before you buy the JJ E34L, some peavey amps can not handle the grid voltage of that tube and end up burning up the screen grid resistors. Regardless, when you change your tubes you are probably going to get a good jump in your headroom if your tubes are dying.
BTW how do you like the VB2? I want my bassist to try one. Its it fairly versatile, and loud, and how does it compare to the Ampeg Classics?
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
For a bass amp, I would look into 6550 power tubes.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
my amp doesn't support 6550's if you want 6550's look toward ampeg.

I tried an Ampeg SVT 300 watt tube amp...I found that the vb-2 seemed to be almost as loud if not just as loud. It's decently versatile but as a tube amp you won't get the really tight really bright tones out of it as easily as a SS amp. That said this thing can get a ton of great tones. I'm in a cover band and I can get good tones for all stuff in it(led zeppelin all the way to seether) and i've found a good versatile all around tone that I use for everything. The resonance and presence knobs along with the mid shift make this amp pretty f***ing versatile. Sounds good with all kinds of basses too. I have 6 basses. Pickups range from jazz pickups and P pickups to passive soapbars and active soapbar pups. Some basses with active eq's and a 2 without. Sound great but different with each bass. i always get a lot of compliments on my rig from other musicians at gigs in the way of looks, tone, and volume. Both guitarists run tube amps(a Carvin Legacy combo set to 50 watts into a marshall 4x12, and a Mesa Dual Recto 100 watt into a marshall 4x12) and they also run into the PA. The drums are also properly mic'd and run into the PA...My amp keeps up without the use of the PA in small-medium gigs.

One more thing about the vb-2 is that while the distortion channel is ok it sounds much better when you just overdrive the clean channel. Much fuller and richer. It's really easy to do this if you have a powerful active eq built into the bass. When you want to overdrive it just turn the EQ up(whatever frequencies you want boosted, I usually just boost the mids all the way and maybe add a bit of treble and bass) and it sounds sweet.

Anyone else have opinions on the choice between E34L tubes or KT77's?\

EDIT: for some reason peavey no longer can receive emails from yahoo mail or hotmail...argh! something about windows mail no longer supports http...something or other.....anyone else got an idea for looking into this?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Last edited by Revelation at Jul 17, 2009,
Do you need to rebias going from EL34s to KT77s?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
You need to rebias any time you change your power tubes. even if you just go from one set of EL34's to another set of EL34's. No tube will be identical to another.

I found one of the Peavey amp engineers that works on bass amps is a member of talkbass so I sent him a PM about the E34L's. hope he can give a good answer.

EDIT: also. I've found 2 people on talkbass that tried KT77's on this amp....apparently it sounded pretty crappy. I guess that one's out. Hope the E34L works out.

To make this thread useful again can anyone maybe recommend me some good smooth sounding preamp tubes? I'm talking old-school smooth thump.

The amp currently has two 12ax7's and a 12at7 driver tube.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Last edited by Revelation at Jul 17, 2009,
Replace the 12AX7 with some lower gain tubes. 5751s are highly praised for this function.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
it says it's compatible with ECC83's. Are you sure that 5751 tubes won't hurt anything?
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
my amp doesn't support 6550's if you want 6550's look toward ampeg.

I tried an Ampeg SVT 300 watt tube amp...I found that the vb-2 seemed to be almost as loud if not just as loud. It's decently versatile but as a tube amp you won't get the really tight really bright tones out of it as easily as a SS amp. That said this thing can get a ton of great tones. I'm in a cover band and I can get good tones for all stuff in it(led zeppelin all the way to seether) and i've found a good versatile all around tone that I use for everything. The resonance and presence knobs along with the mid shift make this amp pretty f***ing versatile. Sounds good with all kinds of basses too. I have 6 basses. Pickups range from jazz pickups and P pickups to passive soapbars and active soapbar pups. Some basses with active eq's and a 2 without. Sound great but different with each bass. i always get a lot of compliments on my rig from other musicians at gigs in the way of looks, tone, and volume. Both guitarists run tube amps(a Carvin Legacy combo set to 50 watts into a marshall 4x12, and a Mesa Dual Recto 100 watt into a marshall 4x12) and they also run into the PA. The drums are also properly mic'd and run into the PA...My amp keeps up without the use of the PA in small-medium gigs.

One more thing about the vb-2 is that while the distortion channel is ok it sounds much better when you just overdrive the clean channel. Much fuller and richer. It's really easy to do this if you have a powerful active eq built into the bass. When you want to overdrive it just turn the EQ up(whatever frequencies you want boosted, I usually just boost the mids all the way and maybe add a bit of treble and bass) and it sounds sweet.

Anyone else have opinions on the choice between E34L tubes or KT77's?\

EDIT: for some reason peavey no longer can receive emails from yahoo mail or hotmail...argh! something about windows mail no longer supports http...something or other.....anyone else got an idea for looking into this?

Thanks for the review, BTW, Peavey is terible about awnsering Emails, just call customer suport at toll free 877-732-8391, or 601-483-5365 , you will be talking to a real person, and someone who can actually speak English in less than 5 min.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Revelation
it says it's compatible with ECC83's. Are you sure that 5751 tubes won't hurt anything?
All preamp tube types are interchangable.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
All preamp tube types are interchangable.

Good to know.....I wonder why they don't put that in the manual or something. Looks like I have tons of options to look into.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian