Ive been thinking of buying some effects pedals and i need to know whats good and bad because im a noob

what are the best pedals for a distortion, delay, and all that sort of stuff
also i want to know what pedals are neccesary and what are not

all help will be appreciated

im on a bit of a budget as well so not too expensive
Last edited by museiscool at Jul 7, 2009,
Quote by Avedas
What's your budget? What do you play? What would you prioritize?

nothing too expensive, i play muse mostly, and i would like a distortion and delay, but i dont know what other effects are good for rock/hard rock stuff
What amp are you using? If you're on a budget and your amp can already do a decent distortion you may want to spend more money on something other than an OD/Dist/Boost pedal. Boss makes decent pedals for a good price. You may like a Boss DD-3 which should fit in your price range. If you play a lot of Muse you may be interested in a wah pedal like this one.
Nova repeater for delay.
Fuzz factory for fuzz, Matthew Bellamy uses this loads.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
^ Those, except he's on budget.

You can get an Ibanez DE7 Delay quite cheaply, and for the price they're very nice. For distortion, perhaps look into something like a Big Muff, or a Little Big Muff if you want it as cheaply as possible.
EHX Deluxe Memory Man or TC Nova Delay for the delay.
ZVEX Box of Rock, MI Audio Crunchbox or Catalinbread DLS for distortion.
for a fuzz type distortion, go for Big Muff.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
You can pick up a Carl Martin Red Repeat and a Hardwire RV-7 for nice prices these days. Particularly on the second-hand market. Those are the nicest delays on a budget in my opinion. The Boss DD-7 is also worth considering, although it's a little more expensive.

A ProCo Rat 2 is also worth mentioning, apart from the Big Muff, as not everyone is pleased with it's tones.
i realised im not much on a budget anymore..... but i will buy things slowly (not all at once). i got a roland cube 15x...
oh goddammit.
i can already see the title to his next thread, "why don't FX sound good through my cube?"

some rules are meant to be broken, some are not.
AMP FIRST FX SECOND!
or better yet, GUITAR FIRST, AMP SECOND, THEN FX!
Quote by museiscool
i realised im not much on a budget anymore..... but i will buy things slowly (not all at once). i got a roland cube 15x...

The Roland Cube doesn't take pedals well. You'll want to buy a new amp if you want pedals to be useful.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
What is a good amp for about $500-$700? (australian). What are the best amps with built in effects?
And also what is a foot controller? i saw them in some photos... are they to do with amps?

sorry, im a noob
I don't know how hell Aussie money works so I'm just going to tell you you should buy either a Fender Blues Jr. which is a really good amp that takes pedals well, or a Peavy Viper with the fool controller, which by the way controls the effects and channels that are in your amp. I would strongly suggest the first one because as you get better you're going to want a tube amp later anyway. Don't ask us what a tube amp is if you don't know, just take our advise that they are a thousand times better (IN MOST CASES).

EDIT: Alright I looked and a Fender Blues Jr. are somewhere around $439.66 AUS (used lol) which is good because then you will have enough to get some effects pedals like an Ibanez tube screamer overdrive, which is more or less a necessity, the importance of all other FX just depend on what you like. I'm not really into Muse, so I don't know what effects he uses. I would definitely get the Fender amp and an OD pedal like the Tube Screamer and wait on effects until you really know what will compliment 'your sound.'
Gear:
Fender American Strat
Washburn Idol
Pitchblack > Cst OD > M5 > Flashback Tripple Delay > SIZE=1]Whirly Verb
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
Marshall 1960AV
Last edited by Mr. Kyle at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by Mr. Kyle
I don't know how hell Aussie money works so I'm just going to tell you you should buy either a Fender Blues Jr. which is a really good amp that takes pedals well, or a Peavy Viper with the fool controller, which by the way controls the effects and channels that are in your amp. I would strongly suggest the first one because as you get better you're going to want a tube amp later anyway. Don't ask us what a tube amp is if you don't know, just take our advise that they are a thousand times better (IN MOST CASES).

EDIT: Alright I looked and a Fender Blues Jr. are somewhere around $439.66 AUS (used lol) which is good because then you will have enough to get some effects pedals like an Ibanez tube screamer overdrive, which is more or less a necessity, the importance of all other FX just depend on what you like. I'm not really into Muse, so I don't know what effects he uses. I would definitely get the Fender amp and an OD pedal like the Tube Screamer and wait on effects until you really know what will compliment 'your sound.'

thanks, ill look at it , so fender is a good brand for amps? are there any other good brands i should look for? What about Orange amps?
Last edited by museiscool at Jul 8, 2009,