Well, actually it's belated NGD (got this stuff yesterday), but I'm now getting around to making a thread for it Through a day of trading, these were the 2 guitars I manged to get my hands on! One is a nice Japan-made Squire Floyd Rose strat (with lots of mods) that I got a good deal on since it needs minor electronic work (cold solder joints), the other is a pretty beat up Squire, which I'm not sure of where it was made that I thought could be a fun project type guitar to play around with (since part of the fretboard is scalloped). It is an older one though. It plays a lot nicer than a current model squire. This one will need a little bit more work though.

Anyways, on to the Important stuff, the Pr0n! Without futher ado..

The MIJ Strat

The other one

I wonder what wood this body is?

The rest of this post is simply commentary on the gear

The Floyd Rose strat has a rebuilt Floyd Rose II system (not licensed), DiMarzio Tone Zone and Air Norton Humbuckers, and the middle single coil is a Duncan 'Great White Snark'. Push/pull pots were installed for coil-splitting, and switches for coil tapping/shutting off the humbuckers. Definitely a versatile guitar. I must say though, I've heard some people say the Tone Zone is not a very good choice for a metal pickup, and I beg to differ! Thick, dark, heavy tone is it's speciality, and the lead tone kills. The clean tones aren't anything to write home about, but they're better than most other hot passives and EMG's I've heard IMO. The Air Norton has also officially become my favorite neck pickup. Playability and build quality wise, it's a shame the non MIA Fenders aren't made in Japan anymore. I don't even think of this thing as a "Squire".

As for the other strat, the finish has been sanded off the neck, leaving a nice, smooth, unfinished maple. I'm debating whether I want to have more of the fretboard scalloped, or buy a different neck for it later on.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff

I like, nice rly. No idea on the wood, at least it's a nice solid one piece body.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Jul 7, 2009,
not a fan of floyd rose system but i'd hit that, really.
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
That jap strat looks incredible, exactly the type of strat I want for shredding!
And that squier, is not solid wood, you can see the ply, however it does look incredibly nice.
Who the hell says a TZ is bad for metal? That thing rapes faces for metal!
That's what I said when I plugged that thing in, lol. I remember hearing that in the GG&A forum though. It's almost as hot as ceramic magnet pups, but seems to have a bit more finesse to it, which is just what I like

Though the set-up on that strat just screamed "awesome metal/shred strat with versatility for just about everything else", so I had to have it, lol. I love strats, even more than super-strats probably. But it seems damn near impossible to find floyd-rose equipped, HSH strats, which is unfortunate.

And that wood on the squier, I was almost wondering if it was some kind of ash. It's rather lightweight, and has a nice, bright, twangy tone to it.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Jul 7, 2009,
Squier is nice ain't it?
I've been telling everyone
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
That second one is a beauty! HNGD!
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
It doesn´t look like the fretboard was refinished after being scalloped... you should probably do that.
Looks nice, what are the second switches for? ive never actually seen anything like that if im honest, the Jap Squiers are good plus the FRs on them are solid, hope we can get some clips from you
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
i REALLY dont like stats...but your two are ****ing awsome!
the unfinished one is plywood. dont dump too much money hotrodding it. the other one is more commonly referred to as a squier strat. when you say fender strat its just a little misleading. I know squiers were better back then and the naming on the headstock was diff. but dont you think its not as good as a MIM or a real MIJ honestly?
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by FlightofIcarus
...it's a shame the non MIA Fenders aren't made in Japan anymore.
I probably don't understand what you meant by this, but there is something called Fender Japan...
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by Vlasco
It doesn´t look like the fretboard was refinished after being scalloped... you should probably do that.

I have scalloped my board in the same fashion as this, and it definitely isnt finished, can you please explain how to do this or point me in the right direction?

thanks
OMFG!! HNGD! That Squier looks ****ing nice! it ownz my fat strat.
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Quote by subzero364
I have scalloped my board in the same fashion as this, and it definitely isnt finished, can you please explain how to do this or point me in the right direction?

thanks

There are many ways but my favourite is with tung oil. You can get tung oil at any hardware store. Then take your neck off so you don´t drip the oil onto the body. With a soft cloth apply a thin coat to the wood, making sure you hit every area otherwise when dirt builds up it will be really apparent where you missed. Then wait a couple hours (6-12 depending on how thick a coat you applied) and apply another coat. Keep applying coats until it gets as thick and shiny as you want, or until it matches the finish of unscalloped frets if you have any.

Also make sure the wood is smooth and clean before you apply the oil. Go over the scalloped area with fine grit sandpaper before you begin. Any imperfections where the wood is uneven will become apparent once you finish it, and it looks best cleaned.
Last edited by Vlasco at Jul 7, 2009,
That red FR'd strat is lovely, I want it!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by AntiG3
I probably don't understand what you meant by this, but there is something called Fender Japan...
Whoops, I didn't mean Fender as a whole. I'm just saying it's too bad we have the so-so Squier's out today when they used to be pretty awesome. I would imagine a true MIJ Fender is even better, but the MIJ Squier's are definitely on par w/MIM, maybe better. I've played some pretty nice MIM's, and some pretty crappy ones as well though.

To anyone who might know about this, how easy of a job would it be to try and scallop more of the fretboard on the 2nd strat myself?
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Dude......you win.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Whoops, I didn't mean Fender as a whole. I'm just saying it's too bad we have the so-so Squier's out today when they used to be pretty awesome. I would imagine a true MIJ Fender is even better, but the MIJ Squier's are definitely on par w/MIM, maybe better. I've played some pretty nice MIM's, and some pretty crappy ones as well though.

To anyone who might know about this, how easy of a job would it be to try and scallop more of the fretboard on the 2nd strat myself?

Unless you go very slow and carefully it will look sloppy the first time you try to scallop. It isn´t hard - but it takes a long time. Then as I posted earlier, don´t forget to refinish your fingerboard afterwards.

Even going slow it will probably look a bit sloppy, just take your time if you are worried and don´t go too deep with the scallops. Many people go way too deep their first couple times.
Last edited by Vlasco at Jul 8, 2009,