EMGs are probably not going to give you a decent classic rock tone.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Get a set of Duncans. SH-1(59) or SH-2(jazz) for the neck would be good and SH-4(JB) or SH-5(Custom) for the bridge.
Quote by wesselbindt
I'm very anti multi effect pedals, so if you'd ask me I'd say steer clear of the ME.
Also, what pickups you should install depends mainly on the bands you like to play songs from, and the wood your guitar's made out of.

I play anything metal- think Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Kreator, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquility....etc etc etc + some old rock, Deep Purple, AC/DC, Satriani, Scorpionsetc.
The guitar is an ESP MH100QM, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, basswood body with quilted maple top.
Current pedal-Digitech DF7
Quote by GS LEAD 5
I've got Rs 15K(~USD300) from an uncle for my birthday. Should I install a pair of EMGs/Seymour Duncans or buy a Boss ME 70? I play mostly metal, with a bit of old rock (DP, AC/DC, Satch etc) thrown in.

Honestly, I'd rather you get a new amp. The MG is your problem

But if you play mostly metal, skip the ME-70. I'm a huge metalhead too, and the distortion on my ME-70 aren't really suitable for my high gain needs such as death metal. But I play in an alternative band too, so it gets used more on my alternative band. The OD's fine tho.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
Honestly, I'd rather you get a new amp. The MG is your problem

But if you play mostly metal, skip the ME-70. I'm a huge metalhead too, and the distortion on my ME-70 aren't really suitable for my high gain needs such as death metal. But I play in an alternative band too, so it gets used more on my alternative band. The OD's fine tho.

I wont buy the ME for the distortion. I use a Digitech DF7. True, not enough for death metal, but it does handle thrash well....
And I dont use the amps distortion, its far too noisy. I use it as a simple loudbox.
Save up for a new amp instead. New pickups won't get you that metal tone if you're still running through the MG.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by leviticus_22953
Save up for a new amp instead. New pickups won't get you that metal tone if you're still running through the MG.

I dontknow that much, so could you explain how? The distortion is coming from my Digitech DF-7. I only use the clean channel on the amp.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Anyone?

This is a forum, not a chat room.
Shut up and wait.
If the next day no one replies, then you can bump.

New pickups will NOT help you.
You're using a relatively cheap pedal for you tone through a bad amp [even if you're using it's cleans].
A pickup change is not a magic potion - you will still sound the same, more or less, as you did before with your current equipment.

If you want a better tone, you will seriously need to consider a better amp [be it a high end modelling amp, a very good SS, a br00t4l tube amp, or a very good MFX through a very good clean amp].

Getting new pickups with your equipment is like repairing a burst bath with a new plug.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Jul 7, 2009,
Get yourself a Pod XT or X3. They are great for metal, plus it will give you classic rock tones. A set of pickups isn't going to transform your sound magically into what you want.
Quote by Simsimius
Shut up and wait.

You're using a relatively cheap pedal for you tone through a bad amp [even if you're using it's cleans].
A pickup change is not a magic potion - you will still sound the same, more or less, as you did before with your current equipment.

If you want a better tone, you will seriously need to consider a better amp [be it a high end modelling amp, a very good SS, a br00t4l tube amp, or a very good MFX through a very good clean amp].

Getting new pickups with your equipment is like repairing a burst bath with a new plug.
+1 (including the section needlessly bumping. You will be reported if you continue to do it)

New pick-ups will help a little, but not enough to warrant spending that amount of money and effort on it.

Advice from anyone here is most likely going to be "save up for a new amp". And that is the case for a good reason.

Where are you located? I don't know what currency Rs is, unfortunately.
Quote by AngryGoldfish

He lives in Hyrule. Those are Rubies or Rupies or whatever the **** they call em.

But yeah, you're gonna want a new amp,
For SS I would recommend-
Peavey Vypyr
Roland Cube

For tube I would reccomend-
B52 (newer models)
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Well, since alot of people seem to be slagging on ME pedals I'll say that you should go for one. They are a blast to mess around with and a great way to find out what FXs you'd like to use to color your tone. However do not i repeat DO NOT expect them to be the solution for finding your tone in the $300 range. you need to drop at least double that on an ME for it to be a really good one that will get you the sounds you really want. I love ME pedals and think they are a blast to play with but they will not give you that "perfect" tone. I have a digitech RP250 and it's great to play with but it always leaves something more to be desired. .
Quote by GS LEAD 5
k....ME then.

You're going to ignore everyone else in favour of someone who said something that you WANT to hear, and not what you NEED to hear?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius

You're going to ignore everyone else in favour of someone who said something that you WANT to hear, and not what you NEED to hear?

Nope. You see, doe to some wierd loopholes in the law, guitars and amps cost ~2x what they cost in the US/UK, whereas pickups and pedals do not. My MH costs USD320. I paid USD 600 for it. The amp set me backby USD 220. So youcan well imagine what a high end amp will cost.....

EDIT: Would it be worth buying 3-4 individual pedals (chorus, delay etc) instead of the ME?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jul 7, 2009,
Quote by VanTheKraut
He lives in Hyrule. Those are Rubies or Rupies or whatever the **** they call em.

But yeah, you're gonna want a new amp,
For SS I would recommend-
Peavey Vypyr
Roland Cube

For tube I would reccomend-
B52 (newer models)

Vypyrs not available where I live
Cubes cost a bomb, a 2W micro is USD200.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
+1 (including the section needlessly bumping. You will be reported if you continue to do it)

New pick-ups will help a little, but not enough to warrant spending that amount of money and effort on it.

Advice from anyone here is most likely going to be "save up for a new amp". And that is the case for a good reason.

Rs=Rupees
USD1=Rs 49.56
1 Rupee=100 Paise
Quote by Simsimius
Shut up and wait.

But everyone keeps saying the ESP LH-150's are crap....
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Nope. You see, doe to some wierd loopholes in the law, guitars and amps cost ~2x what they cost in the US/UK, whereas pickups and pedals do not. My MH costs USD320. I paid USD 600 for it. The amp set me backby USD 220. So youcan well imagine what a high end amp will cost.....

EDIT: Would it be worth buying 3-4 individual pedals (chorus, delay etc) instead of the ME?

Eh, I guess it depends what your after. A bunch of pedals will still rely heavily on your amp where as if you get an ME pedal like a POD XT Live you can play through just headphones or speakers and are offered alot more tone shaping options like amp models as well as FXs.

Once again though ... I advise you to only go for the ME pedal if money for a decent amp is a few years away. If this is the case a GOOD ME pedal is a decent solution. If you are say 6 or so months away from having enough cash to buy a good amp just wait, it'll probably take you atleast 6 months to find one you want anyways.
Quote by Shabadoo
Eh, I guess it depends what your after. A bunch of pedals will still rely heavily on your amp where as if you get an ME pedal like a POD XT Live you can play through just headphones or speakers and are offered alot more tone shaping options like amp models as well as FXs.

Once again though ... I advise you to only go for the ME pedal if money for a decent amp is a few years away. If this is the case a GOOD ME pedal is a decent solution. If you are say 6 or so months away from having enough cash to buy a good amp just wait, it'll probably take you atleast 6 months to find one you want anyways.

6 months? (Laughs hollowly)
Money for a high end amp is probably at least 10 years away,till I get a job. I got this kit only cause I did reasonably well in my 10th grade board exams. Where I come from, this is the sorta kit people sell their souls to the devil for.....
Quote by GS LEAD 5
6 months? (Laughs hollowly)
Money for a high end amp is probably at least 10 years away,till I get a job. I got this kit only cause I did reasonably well in my 10th grade board exams. Where I come from, this is the sorta kit people sell their souls to the devil for.....

Then like I said, get something like a POD XT. I'd also suggest getting either a pair of bitchin' headphones or some nice speakers (I play mine through a set of Bose computer speakers), they'd do much better for an ME pedal than an MG.
Quote by Shabadoo
Then like I said, get something like a POD XT. I'd also suggest getting either a pair of bitchin' headphones or some nice speakers (I play mine through a set of Bose computer speakers), they'd do much better for an ME pedal than an MG.

So exactly how does the amp's clean channel affect the tone? I still don't get it....
Quote by GS LEAD 5

I suppose I may have been too harsh.

If you had to, the ME is the only option worth considering.

And remember, even if your guitar is not good, it doesn't matter as much as your amp, etc.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
I suppose I may have been too harsh.

If you had to, the ME is the only option worth considering.

And remember, even if your guitar is not good, it doesn't matter as much as your amp, etc.

I am shocked. A UGer saying he has been too harsh....now thats not something you see everyday......
Hats off to you, fellow warrior.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
So exactly how does the amp's clean channel affect the tone? I still don't get it....

Your still working within the amp itself and running through its circuits so it will still leave impressions on your tone, though not as much when your heavily augmenting your tone with an ME pedal. Also, the speaker in your MG will be of fairly poor quality which will also negativley affect you tone.

This isn't neccesarily a must but if you can manage to also grab a nice pair of headphones or speakers it would also be a plus.