Since I've bought my second guitar, an Ibanez SA-160, I havent really touched my Samick Stratocaster. I thought about it the other day, and thought: Why don't upgrade it?

I've been reading a lot of threads here, and saw that there's a whole lot of people who are upgrading their Fender Strat's. So I was wondering, what do standard Fender Strat pickup's cost (used)? And how about volume and tone controls and tuners?

I dont know the spec's of the guitar, I do believe there's a serial number on it, is there a way to find spec's of the Samick with the serial number? (I know there is for 'real' guitars...)
Last edited by sido at Jul 7, 2009,
Fender usually put "texas special" on american strandart strats. they cost around 250$ a set.
Volume/tone controlls (AKA pots) and tuners (AKA Machine Heads) can vary in price by a long way. You can spend up to about £9 on a pot, but £3 should get you a decent one. Machine Heads are between £15 and £60 a set, £20 will get you an okay set, £40+ for the more sexy ones.
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-
That $ 250,- is for new pickups I hope? If it's going to cost that much than its not worth it. I bought the guitar used for € 70,-
Those are prices for NEW pickups made by Fender.
There are tons of similar pickups by other manufacturers that cost much less.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Check out guitarfetish.com for good deals on good pickups. As for other stuff on that site, stay away if you can, it's all cheap but the quality is questionable.
Last edited by salsawords at Jul 7, 2009,
Aren't used pickups worth looking at? What would those cost?

And does anyone know something about the spec's of the guitar?
I wouldn't see a problem in buying used pickups. Probably only going to be able to find the on eBay though. Not sure what you mean by specs? I guess you're asking what the value of the pots are and stuff like that. Best way to find out is to take it apart and find out for yourself.
Yeah, eBay is a great source for parts. I bought all the parts for my Partscaster off eBay with no problems whatsoever. There are some great eBay stores out there. I ordered my Lindy Fralin vintage hot pickups from one store, and the guy actually called me and talked to me personally to tell me that he was waiting on Lindy to send him some more pickups, so mine wouldn't be shipped out for a few more days. I didn't even care that the pickups were going to be late, just because the guy was nice enough to call and tell me himself...great customer service out there if you know where to look.
Quote by chip46
Not sure what you mean by specs? I guess you're asking what the value of the pots are and stuff like that. Best way to find out is to take it apart and find out for yourself.
By spec's I meant the type of wood, etc..
Quote by guitar-tin
Fender usually put "texas special" on american strandart strats. they cost around 250$ a set.

new $69 on ebay
I haven't used Ebay before, but I've checked it out and have seen that there's a lot of great stuff for great prices there. So thanks for that. Unaffortionatly I can't buy anything yet, driving lessons........

So could anyone check the serial and see what pops up? Since I haven't got a clue of how to do it. This is all I've got:
Samick Stratocaster
Made in Indonesia
Model LS - 11D / LH / BK

It's been dropped once, before I had it, and some of the finish has come of. If someone has a picture of the various woods than I can just compare it.
If it's some kind of cheapy wood, will this infect the sound a lot? Saying that it isn't worth upgrading it with new pup's and stuff?