Page 3 of 6
Quote by TimBFMV
Whoo, i suggested that agesss ago, and my thread died

EPIC!

EDIT: I do have an idea for the modules: Make everything movable, like the news bit, the columns bit etc. like the BBC website, www.bbc.co.uk Completely customizable

That's what I said on page 2.

When I first discovered modules, I tried to see if the rest of the site moves too. It didn't.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
That's what I said on page 2.

When I first discovered modules, I tried to see if the rest of the site moves too. It didn't.

Yeah, that makes me sad...

Hey, what if you kept the front page static until you logged in, and then allow everything to be modular? Modular front pages are really the way to go these days. A) They're great, and B) you wouldn't want to be unlike everyone else, would you?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

modules you say, how about one that has a map of the world, you input a name of a country and the animated missile silo fires at it and a video clip we'll borrow from you-tube will play of a nuclear explosions, with many different explosions randomly selected.
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX
^
shanchett, you get an E for Effort

Quote by CodChick

ROFLLOBSTER
An IM widget would be cool, or something like omegle, just chat w/ random UG'ers.

But I didn't even know I had a warning until I used that widget o.0
Quote by SteveHouse
Hey, what if you kept the front page static until you logged in, and then allow everything to be modular?

Quote by SteveHouse
you wouldn't want to be unlike everyone else, would you?

Something of an oxymoron there. Let's be like everybody else and make it so that everybody can be different.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
How do I take a screen shot? This is windows 98, so... yeah...

on your keyboard, above your insert, home, and page up buttons, there should be one that says Print Screen, or something of that nature. push that button, then go to MSpaint or something like it and hit ctrl+v (same thing as paste). then of course you save it and upload it to a site like photobucket or imageshack.

and have you tried clearing your cache? your cache keeps a small file of the basics of the page from what it was like before, to help the site load faster.

edit: oh yea, I forgot why I came here. just wanted to say that it's pretty cool. but the only ones I'm actually liking are the community pulse one and the criminal status one, which I'm sure would be handy if I had any active warnings.

As it is right now I won't get much use out of it, but when there are more modules that I like it'll probably be awesome. I don't have any ideas right now, but I'll post if I think of something.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by Colohue
Something of an oxymoron there. Let's be like everybody else and make it so that everybody can be different.

Well done, you got the joke

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

yeah how about they track what tabs you go on then use sugestions or something?
is this possible for the ug?
EDIT: not good using the criminal widgit to find m on a warning
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Last edited by ryand111 at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by SteveHouse
Well done, you got the joke

Quote by Life Is Brutal
How do I take a screen shot? This is windows 98, so... yeah...

I suggest you read over the bugs thread at current. If you're using 800x600 screen resolution there's a bit of advice there on how to find that elusive button.

Quote by ryand111
yeah how about they track what tabs you go on then use sugestions or something?
is this possible for the ug?
EDIT: not good using the criminal widgit to find m on a warning

I suspect the best method concerning the tab suggestions is simply to have them follow your subscriptions, whilst every other tab or so could be one that is of the same genre as the piece previous. We have the 'people who liked this tab also liked...' feature in place. If, say, you've favourited Metallica, it would go like this:

Suggestion: Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Suggestion: Slayer - Raining Blood
Suggestion: Metallica - Sad But True
Suggestion: Megadeth - Symphony Of Destruction

Anybody want to weigh in on that?
Last edited by Colohue at Jul 9, 2009,
2 Colohue: we are using similar algorythm. We take your favorite tabs (tabs not artists) and select all the suggestions. Cause some users don't have favorites and some tabs don't have suggestions judging on number of suggestions for user we calculate chances that we'll show tabs from suggestion and not just random tab. And according to this chances with a help of random number generator we decide what to show.

Actually we can callculate suggestions basing on favorite artists, but that will be a little bit more difficult to implement.
is there a way to go to normal mode with the 'follow the rules' criminal status bar? it was cute for 5 minutes, but when does it go away?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
is there a way to go to normal mode with the 'follow the rules' criminal status bar? it was cute for 5 minutes, but when does it go away?

what do you mean? after you remove your mouse off that module the picture get's back to normal (in case you don't have any warnings/bans)
Quote by Comrade Curry
I thought they would have turned those into modules, so you could arrange them with the others the way you want.

That would be a good idea I think. Not sure how simple it would be to implement, but that would be nice.
Quote by zappp
what do you mean? after you remove your mouse off that module the picture get's back to normal (in case you don't have any warnings/bans)

it just loses the little 500 users thing...

it still says follow the rules...

EDIT: as of today it's still here...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at Jul 10, 2009,
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Screen shot doesn't work, So how do I clear the Cache?
Sounds more like a post for the bug thread ...
Quote by matter
* The Modules are available only to the logged in users!

PLEASE NOTE: this is the official thread for all your feedback / suggestions, do not use it for reporting bugs!

THIS IS the official BUGS report thread.

Quote by divid3d
currently i'm only interested in 1 or 2 modules. it would be nice to be able to expand the width of modules, so for example, i could make the Community Updates module take up two thirds of the total space, and then have another module like Community Pulse take up the remaining one third. would that be possible?
Seems like a nice idea, but it would probably take a bit of programming to accomplish. The layout of the modules was designed around a fixed space for each. Making best use of the space when you change the dimensions might be a bit tricky. This likely won't be an issue when more module choices are added. You'll probably wish you had more than 3 slots...

Quote by SteveHouse
Yeah, that makes me sad...

Hey, what if you kept the front page static until you logged in, and then allow everything to be modular? Modular front pages are really the way to go these days. A) They're great, and B) you wouldn't want to be unlike everyone else, would you?
I'd be inclined to think this will be incorporated in UG 8.0
You will probably be able to change the position of most of the standard elements (not widgets but the news, interviews, reviews, etc) but they will always be on the page. You'll be able to add widgets where you like.

Just a guess on my part.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

I'd be inclined to think this will be incorporated in UG 8.0
You will probably be able to change the position of most of the standard elements (not widgets but the news, interviews, reviews, etc) but they will always be on the page. You'll be able to add widgets where you like.

Just a guess on my part.

That would be fine with me, but! why would the Russians make movable modules without also making them removable?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

It's a good idea, but you should be able to move all the modules around to your liking (including music news, music reviews etc.) Otherwise I have to scroll down the page to see them which I'd prefer to be right there infront of me.
So if I follow this correctly, changing my favorited tabs will affect the tabs that are recommended? I teach a few people guitar, and favorite their tabs for easy linking and whatnot, and I was wondering why I got "Bubbly" so many times! *unfavorites bubbly*
so here's a question- why do we call them modules when they call themselves widgets?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Diversion2007
can someone explain the pulse one to me?-

The Pulse is a graph that shows your input to the community day by day compared to the growth of the community en masse. Having a higher personal bar than that of the community means that you're putting more in than you're getting out, which is a good thing.

Personally I've already worked out how to trick it, but I won't be sharing that information.

Forum posts are not the only thing that affect the pulse. In fact, posts in the Pit barely register. The real use is via the profiles. Checking out groups, commenting on pictures and listening to mp3s are some of the things that you can do. Other ways of increasing your personal pulse are through viewing lots of different user profiles and getting a high amount of views yourself. Uploading tabs, columns, lessons and news gives a definite boost because you're giving something directly to the community in that way.

The Pulse seems to max at 120, certainly I've never gotten it higher, but maintaining that will be tricky. It's a personal thing, but I can see people getting very very addicted to it.
Quote by Colohue
The Pulse is a graph that shows your input to the community day by day compared to the growth of the community en masse. Having a higher personal bar than that of the community means that you're putting more in than you're getting out, which is a good thing.

Personally I've already worked out how to trick it, but I won't be sharing that information.

Forum posts are not the only thing that affect the pulse. In fact, posts in the Pit barely register. The real use is via the profiles. Checking out groups, commenting on pictures and listening to mp3s are some of the things that you can do. Other ways of increasing your personal pulse are through viewing lots of different user profiles and getting a high amount of views yourself. Uploading tabs, columns, lessons and news gives a definite boost because you're giving something directly to the community in that way.

The Pulse seems to max at 120, certainly I've never gotten it higher, but maintaining that will be tricky. It's a personal thing, but I can see people getting very very addicted to it.

Thank you very much,

are there any plans to expand upon it?
I have a quick question. Yesterday (Sunday), it said that my input on Saturday was at zero (which was definitely not the case since I was on UG longer on Saturday than any time in the past week), but now on Monday, it says that my Saturday input was at 99 and my Sunday's is at zero (and I'm expecting this to go up tomorrow, seeing as it did so for Saturday's).
So does it calculate the relative input after a day or so, or is there a glitch somewhere?
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
The UG daily turnover occurs at 5am GMT. Are you sure that you had your days right? If so, please take this to bugs, it seems as though it's moving your counts backwards rather than your days.
Quote by the humanity
so here's a question- why do we call them modules when they call themselves widgets?
Quick answer, full of speculation:
When first conceived, the concept was called Modules.
As the idea was farther refined, it was recognized that the user selectable parts are commonly called widgets by some programmers. It's my suspicion that in UG 8.0 all (or most) elements will be modularized. The mandatory modules (news, reviews, etc) are not widgets. The three user-optional module slots will be filled with widgets of the user's choice.

Real answer:
Wait for an answer from UG Office.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by Karvid
I have a quick question. Yesterday (Sunday), it said that my input on Saturday was at zero (which was definitely not the case since I was on UG longer on Saturday than any time in the past week), but now on Monday, it says that my Saturday input was at 99 and my Sunday's is at zero (and I'm expecting this to go up tomorrow, seeing as it did so for Saturday's).
So does it calculate the relative input after a day or so, or is there a glitch somewhere?

I don't really understand the whole Community Pulse thing much. I mean I know how it is supposed to work, but my numbers don't make much sense usually.

Like some days I am a lot more active than others and yet my pulse will be lower than on days that I wasn't as active.
Quote by daytripper75
I don't really understand the whole Community Pulse thing much. I mean I know how it is supposed to work, but my numbers don't make much sense usually.

Like some days I am a lot more active than others and yet my pulse will be lower than on days that I wasn't as active.

It's not forum relative.
Quote by Colohue
It's not forum relative.

How does it work?
On the i thing, it says it also works on the amount of forum posts you have.
Quote by CrimsonBizzare
How does it work?
On the i thing, it says it also works on the amount of forum posts you have.

Exactly. That is why I am confused. A lot of days I barely use the rest of the site and yet my pulse was pretty high. Then days when I do a lot of stuff it is lower.

Whatever.
Quote by Karvid

mine is doing this as well. it only started happening saturday though, so im not sure if its something to do with the fact that it was a weekend. basicly its like this:
friday: everything fine, change over late friday night works.
saturday: shows fine during the day, change over late saturday night shows saturday as zero
sunday: change over sunday night puts saturday with a score (and other days still kept their correct scores) and sunday with no score

so i guess i will look tonight to see if it fixes because it was a weekend thing. i will also post this in the bugs thread.
Quote by jof1029
so i guess i will look tonight to see if it fixes because it was a weekend thing. i will also post this in the bugs thread.
that's the best plan.

this thread is for suggestions, not things that don't work as expected. Sadly, there haven't been as many new ideas presented here as I would have imagined.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by daytripper75
Exactly. That is why I am confused. A lot of days I barely use the rest of the site and yet my pulse was pretty high. Then days when I do a lot of stuff it is lower.

Posts in the forum is the least effective method of raising your pulse. Also, if you post somewhere that doesn't increase your post count (The Pit for example) then your pulse won't go up at all.

You have to read/post blogs, listen/upload mp3s and playing skills, create and join groups, upload and comment on pictures etc. etc.
Quote by Colohue
Posts in the forum is the least effective method of raising your pulse. Also, if you post somewhere that doesn't increase your post count (The Pit for example) then your pulse won't go up at all.

You have to read/post blogs, listen/upload mp3s and playing skills, create and join groups, upload and comment on pictures etc. etc.

Yeah I know. I'm not too worried about it honestly. It seems like more of a novelty to me than anything else.