Page 4 of 6
Is there a way to get a module that tells you if you've been quoted in the forums or something? It's hard to keep up a conversation in some threads without accidently forgetting you contributed to it.

Also, any chance of getting the recommended tabs feature to bring about a number of tabs SIMILIAR to bands you like? Perhaps link it to the "Favorite Bands" section on the UG Profiles (in the same way as a Tag system) and use the same code as the "If you like this, you might like this" thingy you've got going in the tabs section.

Last thing...is there anyway to remove some of the other modules? Ie, "exclusive" interviews I'm very unlikely to read and UGTV in general.

=]
Sorry, I am computer illiterate, How do I clean my browsers ( chrome's ) cache?

Nevermind, fixed.

<.<

>.>

a little lost.....
Last edited by Davo Ownz at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by gallagher2006
Is there a way to get a module that tells you if you've been quoted in the forums or something? It's hard to keep up a conversation in some threads without accidently forgetting you contributed to it.

Are you not set to subscribe to a thread automatically when you post in it? If you are, your CP should list all your subscribed threads on their forums' front pages.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by daytripper75
Yeah I know. I'm not too worried about it honestly. It seems like more of a novelty to me than anything else.
That was my take on it from the start, Doc.

Quote by gallagher2006
This would be a convenient feature. Unfortunately it would take copious amount of system resources to work. I don't see a way around that, so this will probably not get off the ground.

Quote by gallagher2006
Also, any chance of getting the recommended tabs feature to bring about a number of tabs SIMILIAR to bands you like? Perhaps link it to the "Favorite Bands" section on the UG Profiles (in the same way as a Tag system) and use the same code as the "If you like this, you might like this" thingy you've got going in the tabs section.
This was already addressed in post #93:
Quote by Till From Kenig
2 Colohue: we are using similar algorythm. We take your favorite tabs (tabs not artists) and select all the suggestions. Cause some users don't have favorites and some tabs don't have suggestions judging on number of suggestions for user we calculate chances that we'll show tabs from suggestion and not just random tab. And according to this chances with a help of random number generator we decide what to show.

Actually we can callculate suggestions basing on favorite artists, but that will be a little bit more difficult to implement.

Quote by gallagher2006
Last thing...is there anyway to remove some of the other modules? Ie, "exclusive" interviews I'm very unlikely to read and UGTV in general.

=]
Never gonna happen. Even if/when the non-widget sections of the main page are "modularized" so they can be moved to different locations on the page, I'm quite certain they will NOT be removable.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
This was already addressed in post #93:

Never gonna happen. Even if/when the non-widget sections of the main page are "modularized" so they can be moved to different locations on the page, I'm quite certain they will NOT be removable.

Well, anythings possible.

And besides, the reason I don't read through threads like this and just post what I think would be good is so the people running the site can see how similiar some peoples ideas are, and how much they are in demand.
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
I think there awesome, are any more going to come out?
yyyup. that's the reason for this thread. to come up with ideas on what the next ones will be.

Quote by gallagher2006
Well, anythings possible.

And besides, the reason I don't read through threads like this and just post what I think would be good is so the people running the site can see how similiar some peoples ideas are, and how much they are in demand.
That's nice. The reason I do read through threads like this is to discuss potential problems with ideas so others can formulate alternative ideas without those problems to achieve the desired goal.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
While I read through them to identify potential problems so that I, along with anybody else similarly minded and the Russian office, can overcome them together as soon as possible.
So... are there going to be any more widgets? like, maybe a thing to directly send PMs to freinds, or an IM type thing.
Quote by SlayingDragons
So... are there going to be any more widgets? like, maybe a thing to directly send PMs to freinds, or an IM type thing.

zappp's come in here and talk about that possibility as being a real one.

I wouldn't mind a forum widget to tell me what my friends have been posting in, obviously with the ability to choose which friends it follows.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Well I dont have any sggestions since the widgits only work when you have frwiends

On topic:
I dont know if this is even possible, but if there was a widgit to make tab reccomendations based on your difficulty rating (pre-set by each user of course) and most listened to on iTunes. Again, I dont think its possible...probably more likely with Last.fm but still.

Maybe reccomendation based on your tab searches
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
I think that the difficulty rating idea is a very good one actually. Perhaps a drop-down menu could be implemented that allows you to choose your rating. Sometimes, even the most advanced guitarists want to lay back and do something easy.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Use the Friends Online widget.
Hover over any name and an envelope appears.
Click it, and it takes you right to the editor for a PM to that user.

IM was mentioned earlier in this thread. The reply was encouraging.
No doubt, this is a massive project, but if/when it's finished I predict it will be amazing:
Quote by zappp
believe it or not, but we might end up having some IM system implemented on the site pretty soon. stay tuned

Quote by SteveHouse
zappp's come in here and talk about that possibility as being a real one.

I wouldn't mind a forum widget to tell me what my friends have been posting in, obviously with the ability to choose which friends it follows.
Tricky one, that.
Great idea, plenty of utility.
But search-type functions on the vB database gobble up tons of system resources.
And each update would be unique for every user of that widget.
Dmitry would have to be very inventive to get this one to work without crashing shiz.

Quote by you = fail
Well I dont have any sggestions since the widgits only work when you have frwiends

On topic:
I dont know if this is even possible, but if there was a widgit to make tab reccomendations based on your difficulty rating (pre-set by each user of course) and most listened to on iTunes. Again, I dont think its possible...probably more likely with Last.fm but still.

Maybe reccomendation based on your tab searches
Current algorithm is based on the Tabs you have favourited.
It likely would be possible to use difficulty, your past searches, or a combination of those two and your favourites as options.

Since tabs ARE the core of UG, different ways of customizing the recommended tabs would be welcomed by a ton of users. More opinions on this would be great.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
SYK, do you really know that much about the site, or do you just put up a really good show of it?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
SYK, do you really know that much about the site, or do you just put up a really good show of it?
I love to explore! Don't you?
I don't spend as much time on the main site as on the forums, profiles, groups, etc.
But I like to learn how things function and interconnect.
I've asked the programmers liek eleventy million questions.
They've been kind enough to answer most of them.
And some things, I just interpolate from answers they've given about similar matters.
I find it all fascinating. Guess that makes me a nerd. idk. idc.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Question;

Next to the widget bar thing, there's an orange thing.

What might this be?
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I think one with a "band recommendation" would be cool. Like, you input a band and bands with similar styles come up. Kinda like Pandora or Spotify but without the music.
Eternity isn't long
If all you so is sleep
And forever is just a little while
If all you do is dream.

All Alone is All we Are
Quote by Colohue
There's a thread on it in the Pit already

I didn't see it or the thread... What is?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

It's the new UG Mascot, Steve.

There are now several threads in the Pit about it, including a shoop thread and even one where some guy made a thread to whine about how people shouldn't make threads about it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I've posted this a couple different places but since it could work very well as a new widget, I'll post here

I'd really like to see quick links to certain forums from the front page. like have your own selected list of "favorite forums" to link straight to off of the main UG page.

For example, I want to be able to go right to Tabs and Chords or Pop Punk and Emo without digging through the forum lists and clicking 3 or 4 links to get where I want to go.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
In the Community Updates module, it doesn't pop up when someone posts a comment on your profile "wall" thing; or if someone posts a comment on an MP3 of yours, or a blog, or you get the idea...

that would be very handy, as I often go weeks without noticing someone comments on a song, picture, blog, etc....

And the other 2 ideas I had thought of (not sure if it has been mentioned, I have to leave for work and haven't gotten to read this thread) are having UG exclusive backing tracks in a module and a "scale a day" module

1) Have a team UG guitarists/bassists/drummers (yes, we have to acknowledge them as well) get together (Via internet) and create 20 or so backing tracks with different styles. A module could be built to allow users to select one of htese backing tracks to play over. In the module could be listed what key the song is in, and what scale could be best. Similar to www.jamcenter.com 's jam machine; but UG exclusive.

2) Have a module that pops up a random scale everyday, or everytime you log in or something... so any UGer that logs on would have a new scale right in front of him/her to practice. It could be randomly generated or user controlled. Make it so a user can say, "I know this scale, don't show it again" or "Show this scale more often, I can't do it" and have that be accounted for in the "random" generation of which scale to show.
Quote by Its_Rock77
I've posted this a couple different places but since it could work very well as a new widget, I'll post here

I'd really like to see quick links to certain forums from the front page. like have your own selected list of "favorite forums" to link straight to off of the main UG page.

For example, I want to be able to go right to Tabs and Chords or Pop Punk and Emo without digging through the forum lists and clicking 3 or 4 links to get where I want to go.
I'm gonna have to make a little picture of how I think this could work.

Imho, it's a great idea for people who browse UG from different computers.
Importing bookmarks from one computer to another is clumsy.
Having your favourite UG links in a short list would be great.

Back in a day or two with a pic...

Quote by ZanasCross
In the Community Updates module, it doesn't pop up when someone posts a comment on your profile "wall" thing; or if someone posts a comment on an MP3 of yours, or a blog, or you get the idea...

that would be very handy, as I often go weeks without noticing someone comments on a song, picture, blog, etc....
First off, Zach, we're calling them Widgets now.
I suspect the term "module" might re-appear for a slightly different application.

If I understand the concept correctly, I think this would be very useful,
and probably not too hard to add to the CU Widget.
You could have a line in a static position at the top of the module.
"Unread Comments"
Next to that, would appear the words: Profile ... mp3 ... Blog ... Band (etc)
Each of these words would ONLY appear if there was a new comment since your last view of that particular area. The word for that element would then disappear once you viewed that area.

I didn't mention Groups as an area, because it's possible to be a member of so many groups that knowing only that there a comment you haven't in one of them, without knowing which one would be useless.

Maybe comments for group you belong to could be displayed the same way thread posts in the groups are. as a separate line. idk.

Quote by ZanasCross
And the other 2 ideas I had thought of (not sure if it has been mentioned, I have to leave for work and haven't gotten to read this thread) are having UG exclusive backing tracks in a module and a "scale a day" module

1) Have a team UG guitarists/bassists/drummers (yes, we have to acknowledge them as well) get together (Via internet) and create 20 or so backing tracks with different styles. A module could be built to allow users to select one of htese backing tracks to play over. In the module could be listed what key the song is in, and what scale could be best. Similar to www.jamcenter.com 's jam machine; but UG exclusive.
Sounds kinda cool, whether it's a widget or just an area on UG. But it sounds like a huge project to assemble the goods.

Where would they upload the backing tracks? Maybe to a Band Profile or something?

Maybe assembling a team of people to do UG BTs and how to make them available would be best handled in a separate thread. UG Office should look at this idea as an expandable, long-term goal.

imho, this could be huge. The Widget part of it would just be the finishing touch.

Quote by ZanasCross
2) Have a module that pops up a random scale everyday, or everytime you log in or something... so any UGer that logs on would have a new scale right in front of him/her to practice. It could be randomly generated or user controlled. Make it so a user can say, "I know this scale, don't show it again" or "Show this scale more often, I can't do it" and have that be accounted for in the "random" generation of which scale to show.
This is sweet.

Assembling the tabs/score for the scales would be a relatively easy task for the experienced tabbers. The interactive method of determining which scales are presented sounds great.

This could fly much sooner than the BTs, I think.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
In the thread in The Pit, there was mention of a Where to Go widget, which would inform you of nearby shows. The widget seemed to be contained mostly to bigger tours; why not extend it to local bands? A band with a profile on UG would post a show, and it would show up on the widget to alert people. Seeing as how the band profiles seem to be criminally underused, it'd be a good way to make them more useful.

Also, it'd be useful to add an "attending/not attending" thing like on Facebook/Last.FM so users could possibly meet up with each other. That's assuming the widget gets added.
I agree with pretty much everything that Zach put and, to be honest, the amount of volunteers that you'd get would be staggering. You could avoid the 'UG team' business by just asking people to provide recorded backing tracks, then holding a competition for the best twenty or so. The Guild would happily host such an event.
Quote by Scourge441
In the thread in The Pit, there was mention of a Where to Go widget, which would inform you of nearby shows. The widget seemed to be contained mostly to bigger tours; why not extend it to local bands? A band with a profile on UG would post a show, and it would show up on the widget to alert people. Seeing as how the band profiles seem to be criminally underused, it'd be a good way to make them more useful.

Also, it'd be useful to add an "attending/not attending" thing like on Facebook/Last.FM so users could possibly meet up with each other. That's assuming the widget gets added.
Totally hot idea, imho.

Lemme toss some ideas out there that might fit with this.

1 - Creation of a show could automatically cause an entry in a database.
2 - There could be a user optional suppression to that entry (for people who use the band profiles for fantasy/imaginary bands).
3 - A drop-down menu could be added to the Shows section of UG Band profiles for (venue) location for geographic region like in other profile elements such as personal profile, etc. Maybe even zip code, idk.
4 - When viewing the calendar, you could click on a link to take you to "more information" on each entry for that date.
5 - In the case of a UG Band show, the link would be that bands's list of shows.
6 - While viewing, if you click "Attending" a link to your profile/PM box would be added to the list of people attending that shows beneath that particular show.
7 - In the case of a non-UG band, the link from the calendar would be to a new page, either for just that show, or a list of all shows scheduled for that band. In either case, a list of attending UGers/links to their PM boxes, would appear beneath the information for the show.

Does any/all of this fit with what you were thinking?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by Colohue
to be honest, the amount of volunteers that you'd get would be staggering. You could avoid the 'UG team' business by just asking people to provide recorded backing tracks, then holding a competition for the best twenty or so. The Guild would happily host such an event.

Yeah, I think the volunteering would be awesome. I don't think we'll lack at all.

Assuming you guys are willing to code such a thing, I'd be willing to gather up all the "submitted tracks" and run polls and whatnot to see how the users want it done.

Basically, I'd be willing to organize, with the help of the UnderGround Guild. We could even get another user who is wanting to help UG out do it and I could "be his contact" etc... and just guide it all along.

I think its very doable, should the coding be something you guys are willing to do.
..I read most of the thread, but forgive me if any of this has already been mentioned..

for the 'recommended tabs' widget, could there be a filter for the type of tabs being suggested?

for example.. the only time I ever really want to learn a random song is when I'm sitting up in my room at the computer with my acoustic..
so I'd set the filter (a little drop-down menu?) to 'chords'. then I wouldn't get bass tabs/guitar tabs/ PT/ GP, when all i'd really be looking for is chords for a random song

also for the recommended tabs, I think a refresh button would be nice
I know there's already a 'next' button, but when I click it, it shows that I 'disliked' it
I'm also aware I can click, and ignore the dislike, but imo, a 'next' button that didnt automatically 'dislike' would be handy

there was something else I wanted to suggest, that had to do with the community pulse, but it slipped my mind

anyway, the modules are great so far

edit: also.. i'd be down to help with backing tracks, and the scales/ where to go/ new comment notification tool are all really good ideas id hope to see

edit2: oh, one more thing.. I think it's been mentioned, but it'd be useful if the widgets could have a resize option..

like, this is just a crappy mspaint thing, but hopefully you know what I mean..
more than one recommended tabs, the little drop down menu could be to the left of 'next' in recommended tabs..

and the community updates and friends online/ recomended tabs and criminal status have been stacked

they wouldn't have to stack with the ones I showed, but itd be neat if you choose what you want to stack, then you decide how much space each stacked widget takes up

just an idea...

Last edited by james4 at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by james4
..I read most of the thread, but forgive me if any of this has already been mentioned..

for the 'recommended tabs' widget, could there be a filter for the type of tabs being suggested?

for example.. the only time I ever really want to learn a random song is when I'm sitting up in my room at the computer with my acoustic..
so I'd set the filter (a little drop-down menu?) to 'chords'. then I wouldn't get bass tabs/guitar tabs/ PT/ GP, when all i'd really be looking for is chords for a random song
Instead of a drop-down, how would you feel about an edit screen. click it, and you can set the filters by checking or unchecking the box for each type you want to be included. We have that kind of filter in the Community Updates widget. It makes it much easier to select more than one if you have a lot of choices.

EDIT:
I just checked the Recommended Tabs widget. It has the edit feature
Choices are:

Guitar Tabs
Bass Tabs
Chords
Power Tabs
Guitar Pro
Video Lessons

Select any number of them you want by having an X in the box.
Default is they are all selected
Click save when you've completed making your selection(s)
Quote by james4
also for the recommended tabs, I think a refresh button would be nice
I know there's already a 'next' button, but when I click it, it shows that I 'disliked' it
I'm also aware I can click, and ignore the dislike, but imo, a 'next' button that didnt automatically 'dislike' would be handy
The dislike is the thumb-down (ignore) button. The Next button is to the right of the start button for the countdown timer. That just makes the next selection appear without a dislike being registered.

I don't normally use the Recommended Tabs widget, so I don't know if these features were recently added.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by ZanasCross
Yeah, I think the volunteering would be awesome. I don't think we'll lack at all.

Assuming you guys are willing to code such a thing, I'd be willing to gather up all the "submitted tracks" and run polls and whatnot to see how the users want it done.

Basically, I'd be willing to organize, with the help of the UnderGround Guild. We could even get another user who is wanting to help UG out do it and I could "be his contact" etc... and just guide it all along.

I think its very doable, should the coding be something you guys are willing to do.

Well, as you've said, the widget could well be the end additional result. While it would be a handy one to use for developing improvisational guitarists, the same result can be achieved using other methods, just without anywhere near the level of exposure.

If you're willing to host this competition with the help of the Musician's Guild (e.g. Me, as I'm pretty much the only one left in there) then I think we could hold an event to gather a collection of backing tracks, perhaps four or five a month, then put them together into a backing track 'band' from which any later widget could feed off. Also, if the widget is not implemented, we just put the link in the Musician's Guild where it's available should anybody need it.
Quote by Scourge441

What a great idea. Seconded.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Colohue
Well, as you've said, the widget could well be the end additional result. While it would be a handy one to use for developing improvisational guitarists, the same result can be achieved using other methods, just without anywhere near the level of exposure.

If you're willing to host this competition with the help of the Musician's Guild (e.g. Me, as I'm pretty much the only one left in there) then I think we could hold an event to gather a collection of backing tracks, perhaps four or five a month, then put them together into a backing track 'band' from which any later widget could feed off. Also, if the widget is not implemented, we just put the link in the Musician's Guild where it's available should anybody need it.

PM me, big daddy. I like where your head is; lets get this underway. Sounds like a great way to display some UG talent, even if a widget never happens... and a very useful tool.

I'll be in and out over the next week or so; but if we can get a thread written up to post in the pit; and then we can drop links in threads in EG, A&C, R&R, and MT... and we can start getting a collection. I'll be happy to put up my e-mail as a "host" and then we can create the band profile to host the tracks, and then do maybe a poll or something. We can figure it out.

UG office, I still like the idea of the widget for it. And I really would love to see hte scale thing happen... but, this is where we're going with it... just let us know if you choose to use the idea and what we need to do to help you out.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Instead of a drop-down, how would you feel about an edit screen. click it, and you can set the filters by checking or unchecking the box for each type you want to be included. We have that kind of filter in the Community Updates widget. It makes it much easier to select more than one if you have a lot of choices.

EDIT:
I just checked the Recommended Tabs widget. It has the edit feature
Choices are:

Guitar Tabs
Bass Tabs
Chords
Power Tabs
Guitar Pro
Video Lessons

Select any number of them you want by having an X in the box.
Default is they are all selected
Click save when you've completed making your selection(s)
The dislike is the thumb-down (ignore) button. The Next button is to the right of the start button for the countdown timer. That just makes the next selection appear without a dislike being registered.

I don't normally use the Recommended Tabs widget, so I don't know if these features were recently added.

I missed a few things, there

I goofed on missing the edit button, but the next and dislike thing is a little confusing..

when I click 'next', it goes to the next tab, but below the tab/play button/ next, a little thumbs down icon appears beside the name of the last song I clicked 'next' to

now I realize that when the little thumbs down icon is white, it means it's not being disliked, and when I click it, it turns the greyish colour, and means I"m disliking it

..just seemed a little confusing that the thumbs down icon was there in both cases., I thought I was disliking tabs I was just clicking 'next' on

but I didn't notice that edit button before. cool
how about a 'name that chord' game widget? it would be fun and educational, especially if it had different difficulty levels that you had to unlock by completing the previous level
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial