Page 5 of 6
I'm going to agree on an IM widget, i love the widgets that are already in motion.

perhaps a widget that tells you when smebody has quoted you in a forum?
Quote by Eggmond
how about a 'name that chord' game widget? it would be fun and educational, especially if it had different difficulty levels that you had to unlock by completing the previous level
It sounds fun, but it would require a fairly large base of chords to be displayed. And some complex chords have have multiple names. Perhaps a group of users could volunteer to assemble the database of chords and rank them?

imho, the Chord Widget could and should have some other functions added to it.
Maybe not at first, but eventually. Like displaying chords (in different inversions) by user inputted names. And a "reverse chord finder" where the user moves the fretting on each string and the program gives the name of the chord. There are sites on the net that could be used as models to start from.

Even in its simplest form, as you suggested, this would be a fun widget.

Quote by DieGarbageMan
I'm going to agree on an IM widget, i love the widgets that are already in motion.

This would be extremely popular. Unfortunately, it would also require a ton of system resources, just as a search would. Unless the programmers came up with a clever way to have it run in the background / low priority, I don't think this could work without crashing the system.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Eggmond
how about a 'name that chord' game widget? it would be fun and educational, especially if it had different difficulty levels that you had to unlock by completing the previous level

I'm all for this and I'd gladly volunteer to populate the chord database.
Quote by DieGarbageMan

As someone who is on here all the damned time, that's not something I'd ever use. It subscribes me to whatever forums I post in, and I use the CP and rarely miss anything.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

This would be extremely popular. Unfortunately, it would also require a ton of system resources, just as a search would. Unless the programmers came up with a clever way to have it run in the background / low priority, I don't think this could work without crashing the system.

i understand that creating this system would be no easy task, but i also believe that a lot of users would be very appreciative of it.
So now that I've gotten to see the Criminal Status module in action ((())) I've got a further suggestion for it. It would really be great if, when you get warned/banned, you could click the little prisoner to bring up information about the incident. You know, basically a pop-up box with a copy of the standard e-mail. I think that would be a decent addition.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
So now that I've gotten to see the Criminal Status module in action ((())) I've got a further suggestion for it. It would really be great if, when you get warned/banned, you could click the little prisoner to bring up information about the incident. You know, basically a pop-up box with a copy of the standard e-mail. I think that would be a decent addition.
This will take a bit of additional work, but I think it could be done.
Wait for Dmitry (Till From Kenig) to confirm,
but I'm pretty sure it could happen.

Meanwhile, behave yourself you Hooligan.
I really don't want you to see this on your widget:

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Aug 4, 2009,
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Meanwhile, behave yourself you Hooligan.
I really don't want you to see this on your widget:

Inorite? Especially because it would be 45 days this time.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by wilmearz
Hi, would it be possible for posts in threads in groups and also group comments to count towards the community pulse? Also, even coma patients don't have a pulse as low as mine!
Dunno. They've been working with different algorithms for determining pulse. Maybe group posts could be added. I don't know if they keep stats on comments though.

Thanks for asking. I'm sure they'll at least consider this.
Quote by wilmearz
Could the recommended tabs widget be customised to only give you guitar pro or bass tabs etc?
Click the edit line. Your display will look like this:

Select what you want to include, uncheck the boxes for stuff you don't want.
Save when done.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
i think approving/rejecting pending tabs should count towards the pulse count.it might entice more people into doing it more which would speed up the contribution process.at the moment theres nearly 500 tabs pending approval
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Eggmond
i think approving/rejecting pending tabs should count towards the pulse count.it might entice more people into doing it more which would speed up the contribution process.at the moment theres nearly 500 tabs pending approval
Very much liking the thinking behind this one...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by Eggmond

You're full of good ideas, eh?

I completely support this.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Quote by Eggmond

I'd vote for it.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Eggmond

Good idea.

A suggestion I have, can there be mini versions of the widgets? I like the criminal status one but I find the widgets to be too cumbersome.
Criminal Status Widget fails when you get banned for having two warnings.

It now says why you've been warned or banned, which is a very good thing, but when the reason is "2 warnings = ban," that doesn't really tell me anything. I'd like to see both warnings + links in that little popup, if you guys don't mind.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

^Maybe you should stop doing things to get your warned, Steve

Hey Admins!

The UG Backing Track idea produced 10 high quality backing tracks. They are located here: http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/backingtracks/

All are backing tracks created by UGers. I'd like to know if there's any chance in hell of getting a "Backing Track" widget that could make it so users could select any of those songs and it would play from the front page. In theory it would also display the songs key.

I'm envisioning something like this (given it would be much better looking, I just MS Painted it)

Also, did we ever get any feedback on the "scale/chord" widget; where it would display a random scale or chord for the UGer to practice when he/she logs in. We had a few users volunteer to compile a bunch of scales to be used; I'm sure we could get the users to do all the leg work if you guys are willing to implement something like this.

Quote by ZanasCross

Bitches be keepin me down I gots free speech n stuff

I'm glad your compilation idea took off, though It was a great one.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by ZanasCross
Oh just ignore him, Zach. Anyone with such a spotty record can't be taken seriously.

I'm gonna guess the backing track thing will gain a ton of momentum when a Widget is created. Others will see it being used and be willing to record more tracks. 10 is a good start. imho, enough to justify putting the widget in place.

Quote by SteveHouse
Criminal Status Widget fails when you get banned for having two warnings.

It now says why you've been warned or banned, which is a very good thing, but when the reason is "2 warnings = ban," that doesn't really tell me anything. I'd like to see both warnings + links in that little popup, if you guys don't mind.
To keep things streamlined and simple, they set it up so only the most recent entry from the BB is displayed. Apparently in the case of a ban, that's not so good.

Either the programmers will need to re-design it so it shows the two most recent notifications or find a way to ignore the 2 warnings = ban notification.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411

Yeah... this doesn't really make sense.

What I wanna say is that maybe we could 'genre-fy' tabs. Say, if you came across a tab you could 'tag' it (a bit like last.fm) with 'jazz' or 'metal' or something or maybe more specific things like 'acid jazz' or 'speed metal'.

Then the recommended tabs widget could select similar genre tabs to your favouritees and you could also search for tabs from certain genres.

Good idea or not?
What about a UG Radio widget that would work similar to Last.fm? Say you want to listen to some rock songs you've never heard. You select genre: Rock; Original songs, and you click play. You can choose to skip the song and go to a new random song if you don't like the current one.
Quote by Alex Vik
What about a UG Radio widget that would work similar to Last.fm? Say you want to listen to some rock songs you've never heard. You select genre: Rock; Original songs, and you click play. You can choose to skip the song and go to a new random song if you don't like the current one.

What if that was tied into UG profiles' music!?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
What if that was tied into UG profiles' music!?

That's what I was thinking. We've already got the songs sorted by original or covers, all we'd have to do is pick a genre and get the widget to tap into people's profile songs.
Quote by Alex Vik
That's what I was thinking. We've already got the songs sorted by original or covers, all we'd have to do is pick a genre and get the widget to tap into people's profile songs.

Brilliant. Call the Russians.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by ZanasCross
-Cut-

Also, did we ever get any feedback on the "scale/chord" widget; where it would display a random scale or chord for the UGer to practice when he/she logs in. We had a few users volunteer to compile a bunch of scales to be used; I'm sure we could get the users to do all the leg work if you guys are willing to implement something like this.

I'd love this, but there should be an option to just search the chords/scales, so it functions as a dictionary as well.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

does this ever go away?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I think it would be cool to have a "notify when you get new private messages" option on the community update widget.
Quote by pantera456
I think it would be cool to have a "notify when you get new private messages" option on the community update widget.
Mine does that. And Friend Requests. And Group Invitations.

Doesn't yours?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Mine does that. And Friend Requests. And Group Invitations.

Doesn't yours?

Not on the widget. The only options are various things your friends do and posts in groups.
Hi Friends.

I must say I am really pleased to see such site which sharing good knowledge.
Keep the site as it is because it is simply the best. Color combination of background and font I like most. Speed of response also the best. You have covered almost all topics for guitars.No need to any changes.
Thanks.
Quote by genghisgandhi
They have them online other places
Judging by the poll, it will probably be one of the next widgets added.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1167018

Quote by pantera456
Not on the widget. The only options are various things your friends do and posts in groups.
dunno what to tell you, man. it's not an options on the menu. it's just there. on mine, at least.

Quote by ZanasCross
Hey Admins!

The UG Backing Track idea produced 10 high quality backing tracks. They are located here: http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/backingtracks/

All are backing tracks created by UGers. I'd like to know if there's any chance in hell of getting a "Backing Track" widget that could make it so users could select any of those songs and it would play from the front page. In theory it would also display the songs key.

I'm envisioning something like this (given it would be much better looking, I just MS Painted it)

Quoted for Great Justice!
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I know there may be plan to implement a calendar, but it would be nice, if you could somehow work it so that perhaps there was an update in the community updates widget about birthdays. Even if it showed up where it says you have friend requests, and PM's etc, just an extra line saying, that its <insertnamehere>'s birthday.

Obviously not essential, but if it were an easy job, it would be nice.
I have noticed that there is a random recommended tabs section for users that have a profile. It would be of great personal value and potentially many other users if the random could be classified by style. For instance, I could click acoustic or alternative and get a random tabbed song in that genre. It would be great for finding new songs in the desired style for those who are notoriously stuck in massive plateaus.

If the U.G team could manage this, it would be greatly appreciated and could prove to be of high value to learning guitarists.
Speaking of Widgets, how about the ability to add widgets like Eventful's tour Schedule to the events section for a band. Having just one place to update a band Events would be wonderful. They already create a widget, just need to be able to use it everywhere.