Page 1 of 2
I like the SG, but it sounds awful on a cleaner tone, and I like strats and teles for more blues or jazz clean tones, but they don't have as good a distorted tone. Is there one that has both? Or is buying one and customising it a bit the way to go? Never tried a telecaster and only Squier Strat and once an Epiphone SG for about 5 minutes so I'm going a lot on what I've heard. But will changing strings and pickups and amps be enough to get it all in one combined with how I play? Or can you think of a decent guitar that's already done that? And I don't like Les Pauls full stop.
PRS guitars generally cater for the musician who wants the best of both a Fender and a Gibson guitar
I agree, go with a PRS. I have a couple American PRS' and they have 5 way selector switches. 3 strat and 2 les paul sounds. Clean beautiful cleans and deep warm distortions

Theyre definitely the way to go. Plus, theyre gorgeous
First, decide which tone is more important to you. If the distorted tone is more important, than the coil tap is the best way to go. Even the best hummers don't sound *exactly* like a single coil though, so you'll want something else if clean is the main thing.

You could try a P-90, especially in the bridge. They're like a throatier, meatier single coil. Or you you figure out how to wire up your middle coil in-series and out-of-phase, and then hook it to an on/off switch. This would effectively give you a neck or bridge humbucker when you selected those pickups. I'm not sure if this can be done the 'right' way and still keep the 5-way switch intact though.

Either way, the funky wiring would be the best way to get a humbucking-type distorted sound on a guitar that will almost always be clean Fender.

Oh, and remember the scale lengths are different too, so you might not get as much of that Sabbath Sludge, if that's what you're after.
ibanez s series

has humbuckers and mahogany body like a lespaul but has HSH pickup combination and the single coil has a really good clean tone!!!
MY GEAR:

Ibanez S470
Vintage: VRS100
Fender FM100R 100WATT
Marshall: MG30DFX 30WATT
Digitech: RP350
Boss: DS-1
Jim Dunlop: Original Crybaby
Crafter: FX-550EQ
Orange: Mini- Krush

Add My Profile
PRS yes, if you can afford them. Their much cheaper SE models are pretty nice as well, in case you don't want to spend $2500-3000+ on a guitar.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
with a stacked humbucker in the bridge position, I am able to get quite good tones distorted, and still the signature tele twang in the neck.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Go with a Washburn, i have one that looks like a strat, with 2 tone knobs and a 5-way selecter switch but plays with some of the heaviest distortion, or the cleanest clean i have ever heard.
Am I really going to be the first person to suggest an HSS Strat? I thouht it would have been in the first post...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Lots of guitars have humbuckers that can be "split" into single-coils. Two such guitars that I own are the Fernandes Ravelle Deluze and the Peavey T-60:

Also, you could get a Telecaster with a neck humbucker but a single in the bridge:

On some such models the manufacturers take the variety one step further, and allow you not only to switch back and forth between the 2 pickups (or combine them), but also to coil-split the neck humbucker, such as my Tex-Mex Telecaster with 5-way switching:

Another obvious possibility, which I don't personally own, would be a "Fat Strat" with a humbucker in the bridge, like this pic of Billy Joe Armstrong's "Blue":

Last, consider a guitar with P-90's. They are a single-coil but with a bigger magnet and more power than Fender Single coils. I have several guitars with P-90's:

And speaking of Billy Joe, he's become quite a convert to P-90's as well:

A PRS Custom 24 is the best you can buy if you want that, and the SE model is good too.
I thought Billie Joe had always been using P90s in his LP Juniors?

Either a PRS, a Schecter with coil split, or a HSH Ibanez.
What's the bridge pickup used on the telecaster? Is it just a tele-specific one from Fender?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
I thought Billie Joe had always been using P90s in his LP Juniors?

Yes, but he's only been using Juniors for the last 3 albums or so. His main guitar for years and years was "Blue," a HSS Fernandes Strat copy. He switched to P-90's on Warning in 2000-- there are 5 albums prior to that.
The neck pick-up on my Iommi SG has an amazing clean.I actually prefer the cleans of my SG's neck pick-up than my friends SSS mexi strat.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by tom1thomas1
What's the bridge pickup used on the telecaster? Is it just a tele-specific one from Fender?

Yes, just a Tele bridge pickup. It's a single coil, I prefer them to the bridge singles on most SSS Strats. Obviously, different models and different makers may have slightly different takes on it, but the design of the pickup and its metal base plate under it make it sound similar even with slight variations. Here are a couple pics showing the base plate under a Tele bridge pup:

Quote by tom1thomas1

stock its just a regular single coil, the shape is a bit funky. I'll snap a picture of mine:
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
I have a SSS Suhr Classic with a Midrange boost (+6dB) wired to the rear tone control. Gets rid of the honky distorted sound associated with strats when using the bridge pup and beefs things up nicely.
No way PRS's pickups are too smooth and creamy for that SG distortion, maybe the fender clean, but that SG crunch is something PRS can't emulate.
Quote by Brian Krashpad
Yes, but he's only been using Juniors for the last 3 albums or so. His main guitar for years and years was "Blue," a HSS Fernandes Strat copy. He switched to P-90's on Warning in 2000-- there are 5 albums prior to that.

Err, I know that, I just meant that I thought his LP Juniors always had P90s, as opposed to them having other pickups. I know about his guitar Blue and 1039, Kerplunk, Dookie, Nimrod, etc... I'm not one of those AI Bandwagoners. :P
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Err, I know that, I just meant that I thought his LP Juniors always had P90s, as opposed to them having other pickups. I know about his guitar Blue and 1039, Kerplunk, Dookie, Nimrod, etc... I'm not one of those AI Bandwagoners. :P

OK. Nothing I said implied his Juniors had had something other than P-90's in them.
My SG sounds great clean...?

Edit: And my strat sounds great dirty. I think your doing it wrong..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Last edited by willieturnip at Jul 7, 2009,
Quote by guitarkp
ibanez s series

has humbuckers and mahogany body like a lespaul but has HSH pickup combination and the single coil has a really good clean tone!!!

They sound gash both dirty and clean. Tried a prestige, stock then with invaders. Both sounded terrifically terrible.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by Brian Krashpad
OK. Nothing I said implied his Juniors had had something other than P-90's in them.

If I'm not mistaken, they're a Custom p90 not the Stock Gibson one.

Quote by willieturnip
They sound gash both dirty and clean. Tried a prestige, stock then with invaders. Both sounded terrifically terrible.

You're not going to get nice cleans with invaders, people bash the shit out of them but they really just need to be EQ'd properly.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Jul 7, 2009,
If I remember correctly Armstrong's pickup is actually a P-100 humbucker pickup and not a true P-90, although it is designed to share that pickup's tonal qualities.
Quote by Underjoggle
The hambucker is the revolutionary new pickup that removes unwanted ham from your output signal, and collects it on a croissant with melted cheese.

Quote by Eddie4President
Shoop unto others what you would have shooped unto you.
Quote by consecutive e
If I'm not mistaken, they're a Custom p90 not the Stock Gibson one.

I didn't say anything about his Signature Junior model, I mentioned his Juniors in general. He's been buying up regular old Juniors with regular old P-90's in them for 10 years now. The "H-90" in his Signature model is a gimmick and so far as I know is not what's going on the Green Day records, nor has he modded any of his old Juniors (most of which are collectible) to use that pickup.
Quote by Dr. Guitar
If I remember correctly Armstrong's pickup is actually a P-100 humbucker pickup and not a true P-90, although it is designed to share that pickup's tonal qualities.

Gibson says it's an H-90, and not the same as a P-100, which is simply a stacked humbucker. I've asked some BJ Sig Junior owners about this and they've said it's not the same as a P-100, but I've never seen a very adequate explanation from any owner or on the Gibson website as to what differentiates the H-90 from a P-100. From what little clear info I've got, it seems that the H-90 might more resemble the "Blues 90" that used to be in Gibson Blueshawks, which reportedly was a P-90 with a dummy second coil, though exactly how that's different from a P-100 I couldn't tell you.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Am I really going to be the first person to suggest an HSS Strat? I thouht it would have been in the first post...

+1
Quote by willieturnip

Ibby stock pus are notoriously bad and the invader is, in my opinion, the worlds most overrated pickup. Try testing it with good pickups first then come back and bitch, I love my S and think it sounds great.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Brian Krashpad
Gibson says it's an H-90, and not the same as a P-100, which is simply a stacked humbucker. I've asked some BJ Sig Junior owners about this and they've said it's not the same as a P-100, but I've never seen a very adequate explanation from any owner or on the Gibson website as to what differentiates the H-90 from a P-100. From what little clear info I've got, it seems that the H-90 might more resemble the "Blues 90" that used to be in Gibson Blueshawks, which reportedly was a P-90 with a dummy second coil, though exactly how that's different from a P-100 I couldn't tell you.

That's probably it; I just recollect seeing or reading that the pickup in the signature guitar was humbucking rather than a true single coil P-90.
Quote by Underjoggle
The hambucker is the revolutionary new pickup that removes unwanted ham from your output signal, and collects it on a croissant with melted cheese.

Quote by Eddie4President
Shoop unto others what you would have shooped unto you.
Quote by willieturnip

I believe comments like that need an IMO (In My Opinion) at the end of it.

I'm not going to bash you, that's frickin' pointless, you have every right to bitch about a guitar if you hate it, just remember that it's YOUR opinion and some might not share the same idea.

And I agree with the above, Ibanez pickups, even Invaders, suck hard donkey schlong.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
A guitar with HSS pickups?
I dunno about you, but I tend to use the neck and middle pickups for clean and the bridge pickup for distorted tones, so HSS gives you the best of both worlds in one guitar.
Quote by TheJem
And I agree with the above, Ibanez pickups, even Invaders, suck hard donkey schlong.

Now I'm just being picky but...the Invader is a Seymour Duncan pup.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Something like a superstrat with mahogany body, glued neck, splitable humbuckers will be able to do something like that. Of course such things will never be able to be true to the tone of either pure Les Paul or Strat but let say they will do nicely with their own twists into it.

Here are a few recommendation from me:
ESP LTD Deluxe series (MH-1000, H-1001)
Washburn X50PRO
Schecter C-1 Plus or Classic or Elite with splitcoil upgrade.
Michael Kelly VEX NV
There are more but im too lazy >.<
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Now I'm just being picky but...the Invader is a Seymour Duncan pup.

I know, I just read my post over and it sounded like I was referring to the Invader as an Ibanez pickup.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

i am actually shocked you are the only one to suggest it so far.

a bridge humbucker for distortion and neck/middle singlecoils for clean bluesy sound....
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
PRS Mira, preferably maple top. Humbuckers with coil split. Very versatile.
eat sleep play guitar
So you want full humbucker power but also singlecoil clarity for cleans?

Well, there's two good options:

1) If humbucker tones are more important to you, get a regular humbucker,= and install a coil split. This will give full humbucker tones and sort-of singlecoil tones, though it is more of a P-90 style singlecoil than a Strat or Tele style singlecoil tone.

2) If singlecoil tones are more important to you, get a humbucker made with separate magnetic pole pieces and install a coil split. Seymour Duncan make the Stag Mag humbucker (Alnico II rods, high output) and Swineshead make the AMP humbucker (Alnico V rods, medium output). The difference between these and other humbuckers is regular humbuckers have one large magnet while these two humbuckers are made with separate magnetic pole pieces, the same way true singlecoil pickups are made. This means when these specific two pickups are split, they will sound like absolute true singlecoil pickups. The drawback is that in full humbucker mode, these pickups don't have quite as much full power and tend to lack some bass. The Seymour Duncan Stag Mag makes a better singlecoil tone but only just a passable humbucker tone, while the Swineshead AMP makes fairly decent singlecoil and humbucker tones but the singlecoil mode can be unusually quiet.

The other thing is to not do a coil split but do a series/parallel switch instead. This does the same thing as a coil split, with one difference; the parallel drops a little more in volume, but is hum-less. So a full humbucker/coil split switch has a little more output when split but will suffer from background noise and hum like any other singlecoil; a series/parallel switch has less output when in parallel (the singlecoil-like sound) but it remains noiseless all the time.

My personal top pick is a Swineshead AMP humbucker in the neck with a coil split and a Seymour Duncan Stag Mag in the bridge with a series/parallel switch. That way the volumes between the neck and bridge are more balanced, and the bridge (often used with distortion) remains noiseless while the neck (which I tend to use with less distortion) keeps the absolute full singlecoil sound with as much output as possible.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Page 1 of 2