Hey guys, i got an HSS guitar but i would like to get rid of the middle pickup and fill the hole and paint it. Also, id switch my 5 way switch for a 3 way one. The problem is....i realy don't know what to do to fill the hole. I got a basswood guitar and its finish is metallic red whine. Any help would be really apreciated. Teach me!!

-Thanks
Dont fill the wood in the guitar.
That would be stupid.
Just get a new pickguard to fit your new pickup selection.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
I'll sell you a solid pickup cover (like an EMG) that you can stick in there as decoration. $7 shipped and it's yours.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
I'd just not bother doing it!

Its so not worth it
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Seymour Duncans
Avalon Gold series acoustic
ESP LTD 7-string

Amp:
Marshall 100DFX
Peavey Valveking 212

Effects:
Boss GT-10
just change your switch for the three way and leave the middle pickup disconnected
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
Quote by Little_Buster
Dont fill the wood in the guitar.
That would be stupid.
Just get a new pickguard to fit your new pickup selection.

This is the sensible answer. Places to buy pickguards in the stickies. If you're taking stuff out to rewire electronics anyway you might as well get a new pickguard. I may sound stupid if you don't have a pickguard at all.
Last edited by ApeWeevil at Jul 7, 2009,
and also, since i have a 5 way switch i guess my hole will be bigger than a normal 3 way switch so what should i do with that?
Quote by AmericanParadox
and also, since i have a 5 way switch i guess my hole will be bigger than a normal 3 way switch so what should i do with that?

I'm pretty sure its not, it's going to be the same size, just that each selection on the switch would be longer.
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
I just did this. I took a piece of cardboard, cut it out over the single coil spot, used that as a template for a block of wood I chiseled to size, hammered it in since it was such a perfect fit , wood filler over the top, sand, sand, sand, paint and what single coil pickup? It's a yamaha rg style, but I only wanted a HH config on it, and no pickguard so I filled it in. Its been painted a cream white, then I'm going to swirl it.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Pics of your guitar would help
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by AmericanParadox

Buy a Telecaster 3-way switch. I believe it's called a Megaswitch-T
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Why aren't all guitars 10 strings to be more versatile? Why doesn't everyone wire coil tap and series/parallel switches so they can be more versatile? It's a matter of choice and if he wants to do it, then maybe giving him some suggestions like I did instead of just posting a bunch of posts saying why would be more helpful.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
Quote by GeToChKn
Why aren't all guitars 10 strings to be more versatile? Why doesn't everyone wire coil tap and series/parallel switches so they can be more versatile? It's a matter of choice and if he wants to do it, then maybe giving him some suggestions like I did instead of just posting a bunch of posts saying why would be more helpful.

You're completely missing the point of what I said. There's literally no benefit in removing the pickup, other than possibly a purely aesthetic one. Removing the pickup and then properly covering the unused cavity would mean you would have to completely gut the pickups and electronics, strip the hardware and possibly remove the neck. Then sand down the guitar which is a long and tedious process to begin with, then you have to repaint the guitar and a rushed/novice repainting job could result in a shoddy finish and leave the guitar looking "worse off" than it was before.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, I just think that the amount of time and effort required to remove the mid pickup on TS's guitar is ridiculous since there's absolutely no real improvement in the guitar as a result of all that work.
Well I already had the guitar gutted and was planning on painting it anyways, so to fill it in wasn't that much of an extra effort. If someone wanted to put a set of 80/81's or something into a HSH, then you need an active single coil pickup or have to go through the active/passive wiring crap.

I'm not trying to start anything either, I just wanted to say it was possible and not that hard to do if you're planning on repainting anyways.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
Quote by AmericanParadox
Hey guys, i got an HSS guitar but i would like to get rid of the middle pickup and fill the hole and paint it. Also, id switch my 5 way switch for a 3 way one. The problem is....i realy don't know what to do to fill the hole. I got a basswood guitar and its finish is metallic red whine. Any help would be really apreciated. Teach me!!

-Thanks
The first thing you need to learn is to make a proper OP.
Yours is severely lacking.
Just saying you have a HSS is not enough.
Some have pickguards, some don't
Make and Model or pics, please.

/lesson one.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Schism1985

You're completely missing the point of what I said. There's literally no benefit in removing the pickup, other than possibly a purely aesthetic one. Removing the pickup and then properly covering the unused cavity would mean you would have to completely gut the pickups and electronics, strip the hardware and possibly remove the neck. Then sand down the guitar which is a long and tedious process to begin with, then you have to repaint the guitar and a rushed/novice repainting job could result in a shoddy finish and leave the guitar looking "worse off" than it was before.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, I just think that the amount of time and effort required to remove the mid pickup on TS's guitar is ridiculous since there's absolutely no real improvement in the guitar as a result of all that work.

thats what i ment to say
Quote by GeToChKn
I just did this. I took a piece of cardboard, cut it out over the single coil spot, used that as a template for a block of wood I chiseled to size, hammered it in since it was such a perfect fit , wood filler over the top, sand, sand, sand, paint and what single coil pickup? It's a yamaha rg style, but I only wanted a HH config on it, and no pickguard so I filled it in. Its been painted a cream white, then I'm going to swirl it.

can you send me a picture of it finished plz?

i would love to see that!
Quote by Schism1985
There's literally no benefit in removing the pickup

It will reduce the magnetic pull on the string, for one. And if TS wants the guitar to look different, that's a good enough reason by itself.

finish is metallic red whine

I wouldn't reccomend doing it if you like the colour it is.
ok well i don't have any pics but ill try to describe it as much as i can.

Its an HSS, got no pickguard, metallic red sooo its gonna be hard to reproduce that paint.

Guess i'll just ditch it out and change the 5 way for a 3 way.

And for the verstality thing, i know it will make it less versatile but i got other guitars that can do that. This one was one of the first i got so im customizing it a bit to look good and sound good. I bought new pickups for it, new hardware and all.

That's about it.
You can just leave the middle pup in as a dummy, or change the switching order on the 5 way if you want to be able to select B+N.
Here is my middle pickup spot after being filled in a first coat of paint on it. Still want to paint and sand it a bit more, but its going to be swirled so I'm not too concerned with the unlaying finish.

and a test of the swirl I want to do on it.

Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
I did something similar to my RG which is a HSH config.

I first took out the middle PU, got a 3 way selector switch and had the existing 2 humbuckers wired to the three way. Also had a push/pull tone knob installed. That way you can spilt your humbuckers into single coils for that fenderish type sound.

Now I didn't fill the hole with wood and re paint like the other guy on here did. I just took off the PU cover that was on my stock PU and then made some spacers that would fit underneath the PU cover. Then you just screw the PU cover back into the original middle PU holes.

What you get is a guitar that looks like there is a PU in the middle position, but there isn't really anything there.

You don't want to just disconnect it and leave it there. Like someone else already mentioned there is a magnetic pull, so don't just leave it there.
Quote by AmericanParadox
can you send me a picture of it finished plz?

i would love to see that!

Posted above.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
Should have a pic of the body swirled by tomorrow at the latest. I've swirled all my extra wood as practice, so its do-time. lol.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3