A local guitar shop of mine have said they stock the standard Proco Rat, but not the Proco Rat 2, after I enquired about wanting to try one out.

I was just wondering if there are actually any major differences between the 2 of them, or whether it's still just worth trying the standard one anyway.

EDIT: It looks to me as if the 'standard' Proco Rat isn't even in production anymore, and the Rat 2 is the only one that's still sold. Is this just a bit of ignorance on the shop's behalf, purely because the pedal doesn't actually have a '2' on it?
Last edited by matt bickerton at Jul 7, 2009,
Most probably the latter. Especially if its new.

There's some good sites with the history of the RAT if you're interested in the specifics between the RAT models.
Last edited by Meatball200 at Jul 7, 2009,
it is usually safe to say that when it comes to gear, older is better.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
The newer Rats sound very slightly more aggressive. Go to youtube and look for GearManDude (who's most definitely Jack Black), who does a comparison of a vintage Rat and a Rat II. Same settings used on each pedal, but compared side-to-side.